Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beverly Hills ca club
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
I’m not affiliated in any way with Beverly Hills car club nor have ever purchased or am interested in any car or service they have however, they dominate the Porsche and air cooled lists I keep up with daily and seem to have much to offer in the way of a variety of cars/models/condition.
Now my question; I read and pay close attention to this forum and highly respect the value of it’s members and content and it’s been a valuable resource for myself and many other 914 enthusiasts but I have noticed a cynical and critical attitude when ever Beverly Hills car club is referenced or mentioned in any way.
I am appealing to the brain trust here in the real reasons not so much just opinions because we all know about opinions bla bla bla!
Thanks
SirAndy
Do a search here and look at some of the rust heaps (literally) that they are trying to hawk as "excellent restoration potential" cars.

It's borderline criminal ...
dry.gif

914_teener
They are not physically located in Beverly Hills and as to the extent that they "dominate" listings is not an indication that they either sell anything that is worth buying or not.

Jonathan Livesay
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=343406 dry.gif
tomh
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 22 2020, 09:56 AM) *

Do a search here and look at some of the rust heaps (literally) that they are trying to hawk as "excellent restoration potential" cars.

It's borderline criminal ...
dry.gif

Pretty much hands down most classic Porsche’s are rust heaps especially the ones that end up for sale here and any any other lists.
If you pay attention and are at all interested in cars like this then you know what you’re looking at and you should not be ripped off.
You just about have to buy a rust heap if you want a 914 anyway.
Let’s here from some customers, don’t tell me nobody has ever purchased it have done business with them.
Cairo94507
I have never purchased a car from BHCC and based upon all of the ads I have seen for their cars, I doubt I ever would. Everything is a rusty, wrecked, salvaged in appearance POS that they ask way, way too much for.

The wrecked, burned, destroyed 914-6 they have listed for $20K is an example. There are plenty others that have been listed that are in as bad of condition. To me, their stuff seems ripe for people who just want a precious VIN so they can perpetuate bad stuff down the road. That's my opinion. Sorry. Sometimes if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....
Unobtanium-inc
Here is my all time favorite. BHCC was selling a restoration project, they just forgot to mention it had been flooded in hurricane Sandy.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=244383

People always say "do your homework", but if you don't know what questions to ask like "has it been in a salt water flood" this doesn't really work.

I wouldn't buy anything from there that I didn't put my hands on or have someone qualified do it.
twistedstang
A friends stolen Jaguar from Michigan ended up there. Last dealership in the world I would do business with.
Bmw635
Google review on the business is a VERY accurate review sans reviews by Loacal Guide as it is unpaid, not like Yelp.
Tdskip
I am going to, somewhat, disagree.

Anyone who buys a classic car site unseen or without an experienced person doing a PPI is rolling the dice.

I bought my 1974 Jensen Interceptor there, as I’ve posted here previously they walked me over to the car and then said take as long as you want and let us know if you want to see it on the lift and then walked away. I asked for a floor jack and they brought one over and offered to help jack it up so I could look at the under side of the trunk.

They handed me the title the day I paid for the car, zero hassles.

The people who are the most down on them have never done business with them and/or bought without doing a PPI. Would I trust them based on their descriptions of the car alone without doing diligence, no. But I trust any classic car dealer on their descriptions of the car without doing diligence, no.

I think part of it gets people bent out of shape is that they use the same “excellent“ description on everything. I just ignore that and realize that if I’m interested in something I need to go look at it with my own eyes .
Coondog
QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 22 2020, 10:06 AM) *

They are not physically located in Beverly Hills and as to the extent that they "dominate" listings is not an indication that they either sell anything that is worth buying or not.

ENOUGH SAID............... first.gif
Cairo94507
@Tdskip has a good point. I can not imagine buying a car the vintage of our cars w/o laying eyes on it first. At the bare minimum having someone else not affiliated with the seller, laying eyes on it and shooting a ton of good quality photos and maybe a couple videos if it runs, drives, etc. Still, their descriptions disturb me as we all know people who were excited to buy and really knew little about 914's and ended up getting taken.
Bmw635
A lot of people are forgetting basic business transactions before the interweb. Seen lots of people clicking mouse to send thousands/hundred of thousands just because it's easy hence give rise to scammers targeting US. Don't see too many scammers targeting 3rd world country.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 22 2020, 10:37 AM) *

I am going to, somewhat, disagree.

Anyone who buys a classic car site unseen or without an experienced person doing a PPI is rolling the dice.

I bought my 1974 Jensen Interceptor there, as I’ve posted here previously they walked me over to the car and then said take as long as you want and let us know if you want to see it on the lift and then walked away. I asked for a floor jack and they brought one over and offered to help jack it up so I could look at the under side of the trunk.

They handed me the title the day I paid for the car, zero hassles.

The people who are the most down on them have never done business with them and/or bought without doing a PPI. Would I trust them based on their descriptions of the car alone without doing diligence, no. But I trust any classic car dealer on their descriptions of the car without doing diligence, no.

I think part of it gets people bent out of shape is that they use the same “excellent“ description on everything. I just ignore that and realize that if I’m interested in something I need to go look at it with my own eyes .

But in the case I mentioned above, you aren't going to know to ask if it's been in a saltwater flood, or be able to tell once they power washed it, but that would still be info a buyer should have. The car kept a clear title because since the car was not on the road it wasn't insured. But it's clearly in the first dealer's description, but didn't make it to the next dealer's description (BHCC). So the attitude that it's the onus of the buyer to figure everything out isn't really fair if the seller is withholding crucial info.
iankarr
I had a location shoot last year, coincidentally, right next door to BHCC. Most definitely not in BH. It's in an industrial area east of downtown LA. During lunch I went over and looked around. There were literally hundreds of cars there. Some better than others. Not what I expected. I didn't speak with any sales reps, except to ask if I could walk around and shoot some video. I'll see if I can find that footage and post it while life is on hold wink.gif.

Given the OPs situation, and what's going on in the world in general, BHCC should absolutely refund the money. If they don't, that would speak volumes for the type of company they are.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tomh @ Mar 22 2020, 10:44 AM) *
... most classic Porsche’s are rust heaps especially the ones that end up for sale here ...

confused24.gif

911GT2
sorry wrong topic it was ment to go here
Mikey914
Looks like a good start. Still some stuff to look at, like the engine compartment shows it is a repaint.
You need to have a good look at the hell hole and the rockers. Has potential. There was some negative feedback, but with a good pre purchase and MORE photos,. could be worth the effort. It is in Jersey, the NE is known for salt on the roads and the rust that it creates, so I would look real close.

It has a dash cap, carpet is wrong, but those are an easy fix.

Check for rust, then check for rust and lastly check for rust. There will be some, it's the nature of the beast, it's always worse when it's been hidden. Unfortunately, I've seen some crap and have been taken in by one once. It was not an inexpensive education, but I did learn.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
on a positive note the ARE promoting the 914 and its potential. The more publicity and optimism the cars get the better for all of us.
Coondog
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 23 2020, 07:00 AM) *

on a positive note the ARE promoting the 914 and its potential. The more publicity and optimism the cars get the better for all of us.

WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif
Click to view attachment
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 23 2020, 08:00 AM) *

Totally agree, I have been to their location 6 times (I live in Boston) and have found they are like any other used car dealer - BUYER BEWARE.

In 2018 they had a 914-6 that was reasonable as a barn-find. White, 1970. We negotiated for a while but one of you guys snuck underneath me! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

They also had in 2018 a Mercedes 300SL, about a foot tall (complete burn down) BUT it had the number matching engine and frame! Someone bought it! Big money too!

Recently they had an ALL original, never modified or painted '57 Speedster. Rare find.

Click to view attachment

w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif

Crazy Place, not for the faint of heart.

But walking around their buildings is a lot of fun, there is one of nearly everything there. Definitely worth the trip if you are in LA! Much better than Disney Land!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
@ctc911ctc - it is a fantastic place to visit. And I bet $5 that you were given run of the place to spend as much time as you wanted checking things out.

I admit I have a POV having actually done business with them and being able to go in person but if you get burnt here you were not adequately diligent or choose to role the dice.

Gullwing Motors has some neat cars but since they are in NY and I’m not able to drop by and look things over in person I will never buy from them because I can’t be sure what I am actually buying. If I break that rule and take a flyer is on me.
rjames
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 22 2020, 09:14 PM) *

... most classic Porsche’s are rust heaps especially the ones that end up for sale here ...

confused24.gif

Me too. This comment is BS.
bretth
QUOTE(rjames @ Mar 23 2020, 01:16 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 22 2020, 09:14 PM) *

confused24.gif

Me too. This comment is BS.

Maybe thinks the 914 sold here are rust heaps because we are a mostly honest and knowledgeable lot that show the rust areas when selling. If not familiar with the 914 one might not show the pictures of the hell hole area when selling.
rjames
I guess it depends on how one uses the word 'heap'. I take it to mean a car that isn't road worthy, which doesn't apply to the majority of cars sold on this site.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.