Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any shelter in place projects ? non-914 is OK !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Tdskip
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 25 2020, 09:59 PM) *

My couch keeps trying to get away so I am holding it down as part of my lockdown duties.

@r_towle - well done, the last thing we need right now is a bunch of couches running around in the wild. Thanks for doing your part.

Grin
dcheek
I recently purchased a 1981 Rabbit Diesel Pickup with 14,500 original miles. Shipped from Idaho using Intercity (great company). I've had to go over the entire vehicle to lube and check everything since it's been sitting for so long. My '82 succumbed to the rust worm and it would cost $15000 just to make it "safe"! I'm almost ready to put into service. All I need now is a new battery and install a bed liner.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Dave
Andyrew
QUOTE(dcheek @ Mar 26 2020, 08:52 AM) *

I recently purchased a 1981 Rabbit Diesel Pickup with 14,500 original miles. Shipped from Idaho using Intercity (great company). I've had to go over the entire vehicle to lube and check everything since it's been sitting for so long. My '82 succumbed to the rust worm and it would cost $15000 just to make it "safe"! I'm almost ready to put into service. All I need now is a new battery and install a bed liner.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Dave

WOW that is clean!!! blink.gif

I had a friend with one of these, Possibly one of the slowest vehicles Id ever driven laugh.gif
Root_Werks
We're building our house, I've been Mandatory WFH until further notice. Been taking full advantage of it. Got my electrical panel finaled! LnI Inspector was really cool about it, we did a Face Time and he had me show him things.

flyer86d
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 25 2020, 06:22 PM) *

QUOTE(flyer86d @ Mar 24 2020, 05:44 PM) *

Assembling the engine for the 68 911. It’s going faster than spending an hour a day after work. No pictures yet.

Charlie

Details on engine please.
Alum or Mag case ? etc.etc. racy ?

It’s a 75 2.7S that I bought from Fred about 35 years ago. It had a broken exhaust valve on #4 but did not have a boat load of miles. I rebuilt it with Mahle 2.7RS P&C which I bought 30 years ago, 68 911 (911L) cams, 40 Weber’s. Should be fun in a light car.

The car is all steel except the rear bumper, plastic rear and rear side windows, RS carpets with no sound deadening, old plastic Speedster seats, 911R style dash. Just the basics.

Charlie
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dcheek @ Mar 26 2020, 10:52 AM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Dave

Dave,
Do you want an AC evaporator for it? I have the complete unit, minus the controls just sitting on a shelf in my garage. I have never owned a VW Rabbit, but my father worked at the Fort Worth plant that built the AC units. He actually designed that evaporator. They hung the first one down the line on the wall as a display. When the plant closed, they took it down and gave it to him. I got it a few years back when he was cleaning out his garage. I have no use for it. It's yours for the cost of shipping.

Clay
dcheek
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 26 2020, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(dcheek @ Mar 26 2020, 10:52 AM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Dave

Dave,
Do you want an AC evaporator for it? I have the complete unit, minus the controls just sitting on a shelf in my garage. I have never owned a VW Rabbit, but my father worked at the Fort Worth plant that built the AC units. He actually designed that evaporator. They hung the first one down the line on the wall as a display. When the plant closed, they took it down and gave it to him. I got it a few years back when he was cleaning out his garage. I have no use for it. It's yours for the cost of shipping.

Clay

PM sent
914Toy
QUOTE(Unpretentious @ Mar 26 2020, 07:27 AM) *

Heard a Dr. on TV saying in this time of Coronavirus staying at home we should focus on inner peace.

To achieve this we should always finish things we start and we all could use more calm in our lives.

I looked through my house to find things I’d started and hadn't finished, so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz.

Yu haf no idr how feckin fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to thuzl who need inner piss. An telum u luvum. And two hash yer wands, stafe day avrybobby!!!

Thanks for a great laugh beerchug.gif
Unpretentious
Thanks for a great laugh beerchug.gif
[/quote]

Keith,

Glad you enjoyed it. Humor is good for the heart!

We’re facing unexpected challenges; a good time for personal and eternal reflection.

Blessings,
Jerry
RickS
Thinking of building a kitchen/yard waste compost bin out of scrap lumber. Have a few 2x4s and some chicken wire looking for a job.
buck toenges
QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 22 2020, 06:03 PM) *

Not as fantastic as your project Rory,..but I found an old storage bin of my grandfather’s. A lick of paint and a label maker later. It passed the time today.

Now that is a picture of beauty!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Mar 26 2020, 08:01 PM) *

Now that is a picture of beauty!

I just realized that your signature lists a Fokker D7. That is really cool. And I have to say "Can we get pictures of that Fokker!" lol-2.gif
Tdskip
@dcheek - score, she looks great.
Larmo63
I'm doing a complete suspension rebuild on my 911; all bushings, new ball joints & turbo tie rods, rebuilding the steering box, alloy front calipers, new rotors, new pads, hard and soft lines, bearings, seals, tumbling everything to look pretty, powder coating, plating bolts. Basically, better than new. I also recently moved, so now I park in my "Batcave."

Click to view attachment
markhoward
Bought this in 2003 as a project. Off the road since the 70's and a complete mess. Drove it for the first time today..

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
Nice Mark...

Where are the huge bumpers I rechromed for this beast? idea.gif

What a cruiser!!!!

Oscar
markhoward
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 27 2020, 02:39 PM) *

Nice Mark...

Where are the huge bumpers I rechromed for this beast? idea.gif

What a cruiser!!!!

Oscar

Got em in the rafters but will be installing in the next week or so. Has a long way to go but at least it moves under its own power. I've been pushing this thing around for years!
rgalla9146
QUOTE(markhoward @ Mar 27 2020, 05:36 PM) *

Bought this in 2003 as a project. Off the road since the 70's and a complete mess. Drove it for the first time today..

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

What a coincidence ! I saw a beautiful black convertible today, roof down, nicely lowered with tasteful modern rims.
It was outstanding.
Maiden voyage, here's to you ! beerchug.gif
markhoward
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 27 2020, 02:46 PM) *

QUOTE(markhoward @ Mar 27 2020, 05:36 PM) *

What a coincidence ! I saw a beautiful black convertible today, roof down, nicely lowered with tasteful modern rims.
It was outstanding.
Maiden voyage, here's to you ! beerchug.gif

Thanks, nothing like the first drive! Long time coming and lots of potholes along the way..
dlee6204
Been putting the finishing touches on my teardrop trailer. I just have some headliner material to install on the interior and then it’ll be ready. I built everything from scratch. Aluminum trailer and the body is all foam. The entire thing weighs 200-300 lbs. I built it to tow behind anything.

Click to view attachment
euro911
Nice Targa, 'Goob' ( @Larmo63 ) ... pix of the Bat Cave? popcorn[1].gif

@markhoward ... the front end should lower itself fine after you install the hood, grille & bumper assemblies laugh.gif

Cool little teardrop, Doug ( @dlee6204 )

Keep them projects coming ...
9one4tay
Getting this 74' 2.0 going after a 27 year hibernation:

New gas tank
New clutch kit/flywheel
New engine/trans mounts
New fuel pump relocated up frunk
New shift bushings
New vacuum lines
Rebuilt distributor/electronic ignition
Tangerine Racing ss fuel lines
and lots of other small bits

Looking to buy a 2.0 ECU mounting Bracket if anyone has one

Travis
Betty
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Mar 27 2020, 05:58 PM) *

Been putting the finishing touches on my teardrop trailer. I just have some headliner material to install on the interior and then it’ll be ready. I built everything from scratch. Aluminum trailer and the body is all foam. The entire thing weighs 200-300 lbs. I built it to tow behind anything.

Click to view attachment

More pictures? Interior too? smilie_pokal.gif
markhoward
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 27 2020, 04:08 PM) *

Nice Targa, 'Goob' ( @Larmo63 ) ... pix of the Bat Cave? popcorn[1].gif

@markhoward ... the front end should lower itself fine after you install the hood, grille & bumper assemblies laugh.gif

Cool little teardrop, Doug ( @dlee6204 )

Keep them projects coming ...

It did settle some but the few hunid pounds off the front is definitely showing. @dlee6204 , looking forward to those interior shots..
djway
QUOTE(Unpretentious @ Mar 26 2020, 07:27 AM) *

Heard a Dr. on TV saying in this time of Coronavirus staying at home we should focus on inner peace.

To achieve this we should always finish things we start and we all could use more calm in our lives.

I looked through my house to find things I’d started and hadn't finished, so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz.

Yu haf no idr how feckin fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to thuzl who need inner piss. An telum u luvum. And two hash yer wands, stafe day avrybobby!!!

The Dude Abides
porschetub
Finishing some odd jobs on my house which is now on the market,one reason for selling is it is very isolated ,however that is sadly an advantage now as we are locked down.
Any work is limited as I can't buy materials except online which is a real PITA.
Repaired my old faithful Bosch 5" angle grinder as I'am fitting a towbar to my VW T4 Tranporter van,for some reason the towbar was missing except for the bolt on chassis plates but all the wiring was tucked up under the bumper so at least I don't have to do that biggrin.gif .
Will see how I go but may move the 914 home from storage and do outstanding overdue jobs.
Keen to do more work but my head space is wrong,anyway got to pass the time somehow,we have 1 month I strongly suspect it may be extended sad.gif .
914forme
Since the Virus does not like heat or UV-3, I figured what would make me the safest guy on the planet.

Some welding, so out came the TIG and MIG, and we started to weld, and weld, and weld some more.

First thing I did was weld up a gantry crane, we had one at the farm shop for years I forgot how handy they are for everyday tasks. IT is still not ready for prime time pictures but I pressed it into service today, lifting some gas cylinders, righting a tool box I had on its side wot weld up a ZTFab welding cart.

Click to view attachment

Of course I could not leave well enough alone, and decided to change the mounts for the axles so they have a bit more meat to hold them true. And then I don't like safe chains as my main way of keeping a bootle on the cart, so I took some bottle wall mounts, and fabricated a mount so they work on the cart. I got them from my welding supplier they were 17, and 22 respectfully, less than the cost for me to fabricate them. Bottles going no where.

Click to view attachment

Everything loaded up on the US General tool cabinet. I used to have all of this on two craftsmen boxes. They will be repurposed for a bench I am building.

Click to view attachment

Next I picked up a quick jack right before our governor tossed us into lock down. Paid $500 for the 7000 lbs version. Issue is it is not easy to move. So I saw an idea on the internet, and I decided it was to complicated. I had these from an outfield stand, and well they never out feed correctly, and two I am using them to support long picks of tube and steel so I can fixture on the welding bench. So I had a bunch of them.

Click to view attachment

Mounted them to the lift arms, so that when it comes down the weight of the lift is a fulcrum and the wheels will lift the bottom of the lift up about 1/4"

Click to view attachment

Now it is easy to move around the shop.

Click to view attachment

Thats all for today, hopefully get back out tomorrow go through stuff and cleanup a bit. Need to get lawn equipment in for service, and winter tires off the 7 series. piratenanner.gif Means I can driving.gif like I like to.
euro911
I guess I could have posted this in either the 'shelter me' or 'not working on the 914' threads unsure.gif

The Ghia died a few months ago and had it 'AAA'd' home for diagnosis. After testing different components, found the root cause to be a worn out ignition switch. Digging through the rat's nest of wiring behind the dash made it apparent that this was not it's first rodeo (due to all the butt connectors found). Not only had the electrical portion of the switch fail, but the tumbler assembly would not stay in the barrel and came out with the key at times, so I purchased both new components last month.

Yesterday, I replaced the switch components and wired into the harness, and made some minor repairs to the instrument cluster in the speedo (the lower lamp assembly wouldn't stay in it's socket, so I secured it in place with liquid tape) ... and re-inserted the other lamp sockets that had become dislodged during my poking around in there dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It was also missing the lower dash/knee pad, so I had ordered a new EMPI pad when I ordered the switch stuff. My wife assisted, holding the pad in place whilst I crawled into the trunk to attach the washers & nuts - which was a royal PITA. I have the scars on my arms and hands to prove it laugh.gif

Reinstalled the new turn signal switch (that I replaced a couple months ago) and the steering wheel just before nightfall. In any event, everything worked out OK ... and if the battery still has enough oomph, I'll see if it'll start up today popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment
Daryl32
I have a garage full of 1/24th and 1/10th scale projects to keep me busy.

Just not sure where to start. They all need cleaning the playing with! piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
I made not quite matching "his & hers" computer stands for use with our smart trainers.
Nice to be able to find a use for a few roll cage left overs!
mepstein
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 29 2020, 05:56 PM) *

I made not quite matching "his & hers" computer stands for use with our smart trainers.
Nice to be able to find a use for a few roll cage left overs!

OK, now I'm jealous. smilie_pokal.gif
ClayPerrine
I spent Saturday and Sunday replacing the exhaust manifold on my Jeep Comanche.

I replaced the exhaust manifold with the broken stud with a header. They moved the O2 sensor bung to the other side of the truck, so I had to strip the harness and move the wires for the O2 sensor to run down the right side of the bell housing. The pictures are me sitting in the engine compartment removing the electrical tape from the harness.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Turns out the EGR tube twisted off the threads on the fitting for the mainfold side of the tube. I braved the outside world, and bought some steel rod. I used it to make 2 pipe plugs (Nothing is available in M22x1.5 at our local Ace hardware). I own a M22x1.5 die, so I threaded the rod, then cut it off and ground a 13mm section on the end so it had square flats on it. I screwed them into the EGR connection on the bottom of the mainfold, and into the header's EGR port. This will have to do until I can get the right fitting to replace on the end of the old EGR tube.

I put everything back together. In the process I found out the header now blocks one bolt that holds both the header and the intake manifold to the head. I dropped that ^$%@%$^%@ bold 28 times (Yes, I was counting) before I finally got it started. I had to tighten it from the bottom with an open end wrench. Dropped the wrench a few times, one right smack in the center of my forehead. blink.gif

I am tired, bloody and battered. But the exhaust leak I had is now fixed. smilie_pokal.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 22 2020, 08:37 PM) *

QUOTE(aturboman @ Mar 22 2020, 08:14 PM) *

Hi Rory I restored a rare early 914-6 drivers seat adjuster.

These are the straight arm style with different knob and brass adjustment finger.

I’m saving my HO train build for retirement

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I had forgotten there was an early version. I'll have to check my '70 four that I'm parting out.

Ok. Found one. I might have more but that would require more digging.
It’s not as pretty as yours.
mbseto
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 24 2020, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Mar 23 2020, 07:39 PM) *

Re-stocking a 30's era Mauser.

Click to view attachment

I have a few gun cleaning projects to do as well, wish our range was open!, and I spy that Buffalo trace and a Blanton's!! so far I only have 4 of the Blanton tops, not available here in SC I have to grab those when I go to NC to see my son or up to Cincy to see the nephew and their kids. in fact just to get a Buffalo trace I had to get on a list during holiday and they got an allocated shipment and they called me to pick up my bottle! crazy how different availability of bourbon differs from state to state!!;- so enjoy and have a shot for me.

I know you are in Cincy, as is my nephew, so you guys have way better access for that and other Buffalo trace and Stitzle-Weller products! My fav is the Weller Antique 107, but I did have some Pappy this past Weekend!!!!! - heard it kills viruses if the proof is over 120 biggrin.gif

Good eye, @DRPHIL914 . Buffalo Trace has been tricky to find here since their little warehouse scandal. Not sure if that was the cause. But my kid has been going to school down near Nashville, so when I go to visit I must drive a good portion of the bourbon trail. Just trying to be a good dad. South of Louisville they are never out of anything and the prices are about 15-20% better than here, so I make sure to stock up. I'll drink to your health!
mb911
Finished most of the basement now.. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
theer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 29 2020, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 22 2020, 08:37 PM) *

QUOTE(aturboman @ Mar 22 2020, 08:14 PM) *

Hi Rory I restored a rare early 914-6 drivers seat adjuster.

These are the straight arm style with different knob and brass adjustment finger.

I’m saving my HO train build for retirement

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I had forgotten there was an early version. I'll have to check my '70 four that I'm parting out.

Ok. Found one. I might have more but that would require more digging.
It’s not as pretty as yours.

I have one, too from an early (1970) parts car. Mine is more like Mark's in terms of condition.
euro911
The remodel looks great, Ben. What did your basement look like before?
mb911
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 30 2020, 11:59 AM) *

The remodel looks great, Ben. What did your basement look like before?

@euro911 it was just bare concrete.. We moved in the 21st of January this year and got all this done in short order.. Click to view attachment
North Coast Jim
Went to Home "Projects" again today. I'm surprised at the amount of paint flying off the shelves. The couples buying it have the female with a big smile and the male partner with a frown on his face. I buy nothing but guaranteed "10 year" paint. No color changed allowed during that period. Ha Ha
913B
QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 28 2020, 08:22 PM) *

Since the Virus does not like heat or UV-3, I figured what would make me the safest guy on the planet.

Some welding, so out came the TIG and MIG, and we started to weld, and weld, and weld some more.

First thing I did was weld up a gantry crane, we had one at the farm shop for years I forgot how handy they are for everyday tasks. IT is still not ready for prime time pictures but I pressed it into service today, lifting some gas cylinders, righting a tool box I had on its side wot weld up a ZTFab welding cart.

Click to view attachment

Of course I could not leave well enough alone, and decided to change the mounts for the axles so they have a bit more meat to hold them true. And then I don't like safe chains as my main way of keeping a bootle on the cart, so I took some bottle wall mounts, and fabricated a mount so they work on the cart. I got them from my welding supplier they were 17, and 22 respectfully, less than the cost for me to fabricate them. Bottles going no where.

Click to view attachment

Everything loaded up on the US General tool cabinet. I used to have all of this on two craftsmen boxes. They will be repurposed for a bench I am building.

Click to view attachment

Next I picked up a quick jack right before our governor tossed us into lock down. Paid $500 for the 7000 lbs version. Issue is it is not easy to move. So I saw an idea on the internet, and I decided it was to complicated. I had these from an outfield stand, and well they never out feed correctly, and two I am using them to support long picks of tube and steel so I can fixture on the welding bench. So I had a bunch of them.

Click to view attachment

Mounted them to the lift arms, so that when it comes down the weight of the lift is a fulcrum and the wheels will lift the bottom of the lift up about 1/4"

Click to view attachment

Now it is easy to move around the shop.

Click to view attachment

Thats all for today, hopefully get back out tomorrow go through stuff and cleanup a bit. Need to get lawn equipment in for service, and winter tires off the 7 series. piratenanner.gif Means I can driving.gif like I like to.

I like your roller bearing hack on the QJ. Can I ask you a few questions if you don't mind? Approximately how far from the hole did you install the bearing? Also is there a nut holding the screw inside the QJ rail, probably not I am thinking. Did you use a self-tapping screw or maybe you made some threads in the bar to screw it in.
Sorry for all the questions. I found an inexpensive equivalent from harbor freight and thought this would make moving the QJ around easier.

Thank you for your input.
Ted
euro911
... and how much weight can those rollers handle? confused24.gif
Unobtanium-inc
Gotta keep busy, right? We've been running the kart so much that it started to stall and run like crap. I suspected the plug was probably pretty fouled so Max got his first taste of small engine maintenance. Clean plug, it runs good.
euro911
It's good to teach him some of those 'roadside' fixes at an early age, but surely you have a soda blast cabinet, no? laugh.gif ... poke.gif

I had a go-kart at that age and had tons of fun with it. Even though we lived in a large metropolis, I still drove it on some of the twistie streets in our neighborhood. Only got stopped by the Sheriff once busted_cop.gif ... When we got a minibikes, it was easier to dart into a neighbor's back yard to avoid getting caught happy11.gif

(3) 5-quart Mobil-1 0-40W oil jugs were delivered yesterday ... now, just waiting for the HAZET 2169 filter wrench so I can change the oil in the Cayman. USPS says it's out for delivery today mueba.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 31 2020, 12:11 PM) *

It's good to teach him some of those 'roadside' fixes at an early age, but surely you have a soda blast cabinet, no? laugh.gif ... poke.gif

mueba.gif

At the shop yes, at home no, just elbow grease, it's cheap.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 31 2020, 11:20 AM) *

Gotta keep busy, right? We've been running the kart so much that it started to stall and run like crap. I suspected the plug was probably pretty fouled so Max got his first taste of small engine maintenance. Clean plug, it runs good.

That shouldn't happen with normal use.
Make sure the choke is fully open.
Adjust the mixture.
Good lessons for kids.
My first experience with an engine was a 2 cycle single made by Hirth.
The company is probably stiil making engine parts for Porsche.
euro911
Finished tidying up a few loose ends on the Ghia, drove it it out from under the lift and made a few runs around the block, then parked it on the street. It had been parked under the lift for a few months waiting to get fixed, so I was happy that the battery still had enough charge to start the motor smile.gif

I need to change the oil and do a cursory undercarriage inspection on the Cayman, so I'll get it moved onto the lift tomorrow. The HAZET oil filter wrench was delivered today √ ... Mobil-1 oil was delivered yesterday √ ... and already had a couple of K&N oil filters on hand √ ... so I should be good to go unsure.gif

Film at 11 ... maybe ... popcorn[1].gif
Dion
Just for fun... 914 “Flunder” hood.

908/02 Livery, just some garage art to hang on the walls.
914junkie
Finished the bodywork and paint on the Arena Red 986S and rebuilding the front suspension on the Cayenne Turbo along with other "while you're in there" maintenance items. That CTT is the most complicated vehicle I've ever worked on. Both are really fun though. I would never have believed there would be a time I could buy both of those for less than a decent 914. The Boxster S is no 914 but I love driving it and fills the void for now. Still always searching for that elusive smoking deal on another teener. For now I have to live vicariously through you guys. Stay healthy and safe everyone ~ Cheers
Click to view attachment

MidshipMadness
I also own a 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder and I'm in the last stages of modifying the drivetrain so this thing can get out of it's own way.

I decided to swap a 2zz JDM engine into the car and have a Rotrex supercharger installed on a custom bracket and WTA intercooling.

I just completed my exhaust system and you can see the 4th pipe is redirected away from the Rotrex. Here are a few pics of the header I constructed. Forming the merge collector Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
MidshipMadness

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.