Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any shelter in place projects ? non-914 is OK !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
davehg
Since the 914s are getting love at the restorer's shop, I turned my attention to some Jeep projects I had lingering.

Installed a set of side steps/sliders

IPB Image

Powdercoated, painted, and installed new differential covers and diff skid plates.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Finished off some CB and GMRS install details.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Took her out on a fun Jeep trail run.

IPB Image

MidshipMadness
Click to view attachment
MidshipMadness
Click to view attachment
MidshipMadness
Click to view attachment
MidshipMadness
Click to view attachment
Jamie
QUOTE(mbseto @ Mar 30 2020, 09:14 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 24 2020, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Mar 23 2020, 07:39 PM) *

Re-stocking a 30's era Mauser.

Click to view attachment

I have a few gun cleaning projects to do as well, wish our range was open!, and I spy that Buffalo trace and a Blanton's!! so far I only have 4 of the Blanton tops, not available here in SC I have to grab those when I go to NC to see my son or up to Cincy to see the nephew and their kids. in fact just to get a Buffalo trace I had to get on a list during holiday and they got an allocated shipment and they called me to pick up my bottle! crazy how different availability of bourbon differs from state to state!!;- so enjoy and have a shot for me.

I know you are in Cincy, as is my nephew, so you guys have way better access for that and other Buffalo trace and Stitzle-Weller products! My fav is the Weller Antique 107, but I did have some Pappy this past Weekend!!!!! - heard it kills viruses if the proof is over 120 biggrin.gif

Good eye, @DRPHIL914 . Buffalo Trace has been tricky to find here since their little warehouse scandal. Not sure if that was the cause. But my kid has been going to school down near Nashville, so when I go to visit I must drive a good portion of the bourbon trail. Just trying to be a good dad. South of Louisville they are never out of anything and the prices are about 15-20% better than here, so I make sure to stock up. I'll drink to your health!

If you guys get desperate I live 12 mi. from Buffalo Trace distillery and can probably find what you need. aktion035.gif
euro911
QUOTE(davehg @ Apr 1 2020, 10:56 AM) *
Since the 914s are getting love at the restorer's shop, I turned my attention to some Jeep projects I had lingering.
... Finished off some CB and GMRS install details ...

IPB Image
I see the CB antenna ... what antenna did you install for the GMRS radio?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Jamie @ Apr 1 2020, 02:32 PM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Mar 30 2020, 09:14 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 24 2020, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Mar 23 2020, 07:39 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I have a few gun cleaning projects to do as well, wish our range was open!, and I spy that Buffalo trace and a Blanton's!! so far I only have 4 of the Blanton tops, not available here in SC I have to grab those when I go to NC to see my son or up to Cincy to see the nephew and their kids. in fact just to get a Buffalo trace I had to get on a list during holiday and they got an allocated shipment and they called me to pick up my bottle! crazy how different availability of bourbon differs from state to state!!;- so enjoy and have a shot for me.

I know you are in Cincy, as is my nephew, so you guys have way better access for that and other Buffalo trace and Stitzle-Weller products! My fav is the Weller Antique 107, but I did have some Pappy this past Weekend!!!!! - heard it kills viruses if the proof is over 120 biggrin.gif

Good eye, @DRPHIL914 . Buffalo Trace has been tricky to find here since their little warehouse scandal. Not sure if that was the cause. But my kid has been going to school down near Nashville, so when I go to visit I must drive a good portion of the bourbon trail. Just trying to be a good dad. South of Louisville they are never out of anything and the prices are about 15-20% better than here, so I make sure to stock up. I'll drink to your health!

If you guys get desperate I live 12 mi. from Buffalo Trace distillery and can probably find what you need. aktion035.gif

i bet you can literally smell it can’t you!!!
well, i would never turn down a bottle of Blanton’s or Weller Special Reserve or Antique 107, any Weller for that matter! i am sure that we could work out some type of 914 parts trade for Bourbon!! can’t get Weller or Blanton’s here in SC at all. if you need any parts i have some stuff here ......
davehg
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 1 2020, 12:18 PM) *

[I see the CB antenna ... what antenna did you install for the GMRS radio?

Used a Comet antenna and NMO hood mount (held on via tension bolts), and fed the wire into the spare grommet for what would've been the clutch pedal if I had a 6 spd instead of the auto.

Great range.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

tygaboy
Working on another gate for a local school...
Lots of fun TIG welding EVERY ONE of those connections from the perforated panel to the frame, on BOTH sides! welder.gif welder.gif
914forme
@913B Lets see if I can answer the questions posed:

Self tapping screws, did not feel like getting all pretty at this time. Some times down and dirty is the proper application. Yes I could have drilled out the tube, mounted a few weld nut plates and done it all, fancy. But why in the end, not like I am getting paid to make it work, just eliminating a very frustrating operational issue. In that you can't move with a small push of a finger. Now I can, maybe not a finger, but certainly not a heavy hand.

I have a jig I made that I clamped to the tube with the lift in the upright position. Top hole is 4.5 inches away from the floor.

As far as weight, I am not worried, 101 pounds is a single frame, with my extension lets call it 150. Divided by 4, and we are seeing 37.5 pounds per corner. It is a steel ball bearing, it will not be crushed by the load. And the backer that ball rides on, is backed by the tube it is screwed to. For the amount of movement it will have on my shop floor, I doubt I will wear it out. If I do lessons will be learned and fix will be applied. And testing will begin again.

Maybe the next iteration will have a solid steel tooled /hardened bearing surface. Doubt I will see the day. And I have a complete set of replacement units off another out feed setup.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(mbseto @ Mar 23 2020, 03:39 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Can I come over and help. I will bring my own gloves, mask and bourbon glass.
euro911
QUOTE(davehg @ Apr 1 2020, 12:40 PM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 1 2020, 12:18 PM) *
[I see the CB antenna ... what antenna did you install for the GMRS radio?
Used a Comet antenna and NMO hood mount (held on via tension bolts), and fed the wire into the spare grommet for what would've been the clutch pedal if I had a 6 spd instead of the auto.

Great range.

IPB Image
Good choice. A lot of my HAM radio associates run the '2x4'. I typically run Comet or Diamond U/V mobile antennas, but only recently picked up a '2x4' for myself.

I'm getting ready to install a Kenwood TM-V71A U/V radio in the Cayman with a small hatchback mount and a short U/V antenna. The 2x4 will be going on my Tundra in the near future.

Click to view attachment

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got off to a late start, so only got it drained. Will fill it up tomorrow shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

A friend is supposed to stop by tomorrow afternoon to look at a partial remodel/roof rebuild on our laundry room. We're gonna toss around a few ideas and decide which route we'll take ... either re-sheath & re-shingle the flat roof, or build up a gable roof like we did on the adjacent den roof confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
djway
QUOTE(Daryl32 @ Mar 29 2020, 02:29 PM) *

I have a garage full of 1/24th and 1/10th scale projects to keep me busy.

Just not sure where to start. They all need cleaning the playing with! piratenanner.gif

Nice to see another scale modeler. My old club put on some nice contest in Riverside CA. I have had a few cars featured on magazine covers and I was even on Hot Rod TV. Here are a few I have some pictures of
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
I also have some 10th, 8th and 5th scale RC but have not had them out in years.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 22 2020, 03:54 PM) *

We couldn't find a small bakers rack for the kitchen.
Plenty of time on our hands.....
What to do ?
Needed to fit in a corner.
Off to the garage. 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle iron 96 " tall
Results in place.
Shelf material and small details to be determined.

Update;
After a delay of weeks due to the the virus I found suitable wide boards
right in my own shed.
I whittled them up a few days ago.
My wife did the rest.
hit the 'click to enlarge' upper right to rotate.
euro911
Nice Rack ... lol

Well, I decided to take my time and let every drop of oil drain from the Cayman. Whilst under there, hit the motor with degreaser and a brush, then finished it off with brake cleaner. The old oil didn't look or feel bad, but I wanted peace of mind.

When it was time to think about adding the new, I realized I didn't have a new crush washer for the drain plug. Well, I drove down to where the local Porsche dealer was - and found it really 'WAS'. Apparently they moved 12 miles away! mad.gif To make matters worse, the dealership is temporarily closed to the public, so there went that option.

Thinking idea.gif ... I called call me.gif Andy at Callas Rennsport, which is only about a mile away. Drove over there just before closing time, did an elbow bump and Andy handed me the much needed washer aktion035.gif Thanks again @socalandy beerchug.gif

Here's the result of the cleansing:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Jett
The car is two miles away... but we did get updated pics today.
76-914
QUOTE(MidshipMadness @ Apr 1 2020, 10:58 AM) *

Great fab. beerchug.gif
kahluver
I'm finally getting around to my other non-Porsche projects - this is why I haven't been on this site in a while. Finished sorting my '55 TBird and getting it ready for BringaTrailer. I spent the last year putting EFI, electric power steering and general clean up and sorting.

I think I'm going to hold off on selling it and just drive it around now that we're social distancing.

Click to view attachment
kahluver
This is what I'm focused on for the coming weeks.... It's nice to have more time to wrench on stupid stuff. Sorry, more non-914 stuff.

This started as a free '66 MGB rolling shell which I'm about 1/2 way through. I got the 5.0 V8 and T5 trans mounted. I just finished rebuilding and lifting the stock front end 3 inches for my tractor tires. I'm finishing up narrowing a toyota pickup rear end w/ LSD and 3" lift for the rear.

Click to view attachment
Rleog
Just ordered a set of Spoke’s LED fog light arrays for my 911.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(kahluver @ Apr 3 2020, 07:53 AM) *

This is what I'm focused on for the coming weeks.... It's nice to have more time to wrench on stupid stuff. Sorry, more non-914 stuff.

This started as a free '66 MGB rolling shell which I'm about 1/2 way through. I got the 5.0 V8 and T5 trans mounted. I just finished rebuilding and lifting the stock front end 3 inches for my tractor tires. I'm finishing up narrowing a toyota pickup rear end w/ LSD and 3" lift for the rear.

Gabe-

I like what you've done with that little bird and now the MG.
My bro has over 25 birds from the 50's and 60's, plus a warehouse of parts.

I'd like to see more of your V8 MGB build. popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

Hope to see ya soon.

Oscar
Driver174
Time for bodywork & paint!

Click to view attachment

Interior coating

Click to view attachment

Prep for paint

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(kahluver @ Apr 3 2020, 10:48 AM) *

I'm finally getting around to my other non-Porsche projects - this is why I haven't been on this site in a while. Finished sorting my '55 TBird and getting it ready for BringaTrailer. I spent the last year putting EFI, electric power steering and general clean up and sorting.

I think I'm going to hold off on selling it and just drive it around now that we're social distancing.

Click to view attachment

That's a beautiful T-bird. Looks just right.
mb911
Did some wiring tonight.. Getting stuff figured out.. Click to view attachment
Spoke
QUOTE(Rleog @ Apr 3 2020, 11:02 AM) *

Just ordered a set of Spoke’s LED fog light arrays for my 911.

I'm working on your boards now Bob. Thanks! Besides yours, I can only do 2 more 911 sets before I run out of heatsinks. The company I buy them from in Michigan (HeatsinkUSA) are shut down for civilian orders and are only taking orders for the military.
913B
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 1 2020, 07:06 PM) *

@913B Lets see if I can answer the questions posed:

Self tapping screws, did not feel like getting all pretty at this time. Some times down and dirty is the proper application. Yes I could have drilled out the tube, mounted a few weld nut plates and done it all, fancy. But why in the end, not like I am getting paid to make it work, just eliminating a very frustrating operational issue. In that you can't move with a small push of a finger. Now I can, maybe not a finger, but certainly not a heavy hand.

I have a jig I made that I clamped to the tube with the lift in the upright position. Top hole is 4.5 inches away from the floor.

As far as weight, I am not worried, 101 pounds is a single frame, with my extension lets call it 150. Divided by 4, and we are seeing 37.5 pounds per corner. It is a steel ball bearing, it will not be crushed by the load. And the backer that ball rides on, is backed by the tube it is screwed to. For the amount of movement it will have on my shop floor, I doubt I will wear it out. If I do lessons will be learned and fix will be applied. And testing will begin again.

Maybe the next iteration will have a solid steel tooled /hardened bearing surface. Doubt I will see the day. And I have a complete set of replacement units off another out feed setup.

So did you install 4 roller bearings per rack or just 2 on the other end of the plastic rollers for each rack?

Thank you Stephen.
StarBear
What I've been doing with my "staycation" time: The new JWest shifter works wonderfully. Since the base column was too large for the console bottom hole, I didn't like the look of the bare metal column base, I prefer to keep things looking as near original as possible and JWest offers no boot adapter for a center console car ... I made a new, extended shifter boot! Photos show progress. 1.Starting point 2.Used current boot as top and made a new column base skirt. 3.Enlarged console base hole. 4.Fabricated larger boot retaining ring. 5.Stitched current conical boot to new cylindrical skirt (the transition and hand-stitching took hours). 6.Attached new retaining ring. 7.Assembled through the underside of console bottom. 8.Reconnected the instruments and heater light, then installed console bottom and instrument cluster panel.

Done! Now for a nice air-cooled drive!
1.Click to view attachment2.Click to view attachment3.Click to view attachment5.Click to view attachment6.Click to view attachment7.Click to view attachment8.Click to view attachment8.Click to view attachment
euro911
cool smile.gif

My wife & I did a quick wash & dry on the Ghia, then took a little drive around town, then donned our N95 masks & HF gloves and picked some groceries.
sb914
Click to view attachment
euro911
Got a little carried away with a wax job on the Cayman ...

Wax-on, wax off ...

Click to view attachment

laugh.gif
StarBear
Beautiful T-bird. Sure it will go for big $$$.
porschetub
Got my car out of storage which is only down the road,added fresh fuel and did usual prime and pump it it fired straight up.
Click to view attachment
Decided to get the tach swapped out as it died a while back,I could only buy one from a later 911 (not silver dot) but it was cosmetically challenged so the price was right and it cleaned up nice after I fitted LED light strip inside,I have replaced the BA7 lamps with LED's also.
I will need to reset my Tachadaptor as my replacement tach works on a different voltage than the old one,I have the jumper to put back in when I find it,real bugger as I have all my parts packed away for when I move but have forgotten where they are headbang.gif .
Wipers stopped working recently but after removing the lower dash trim piece I found the plug had come off the switch sorted that as its a loose fit, yet to test.
Click to view attachment
More to follow.
dan10101
I had fun tying the 914 to a tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7KAW_YlgJk

I also spent the last several weeks getting the Barn Find 944 running.

The rest of the time has been spent making the videos. stirthepot.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_82x2k7z_MI&t=4s
sixnotfour
pic I made from video aktion035.gif
FlacaProductions
Started assembly on another 914...thinking about starting a build thread...

Click to view attachment
djway
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Apr 5 2020, 02:29 PM) *

Started assembly on another 914...thinking about starting a build thread...

Click to view attachment

Have you built this kit before? Not one of the better fitting kits out there. ENTEX had a kit but the detail was even worse. I think it was 10th scale.
dan10101
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 5 2020, 02:11 PM) *

pic I made from video aktion035.gif

aktion035.gif
Lots of fun that day. Didn't think about the virus.
I like this one with the smoke coming from every orifice.

Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Apr 5 2020, 12:32 PM) *

I had fun tying the 914 to a tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7KAW_YlgJk

I also spent the last several weeks getting the Barn Find 944 running.

The rest of the time has been spent making the videos. stirthepot.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_82x2k7z_MI&t=4s

Back in the day we used to use the GA Shadetree method for getting wrecked cars back in shape. Tie to a tree, put it in reverse and hold on tight, a bootleg frame straightner!
FlacaProductions
@djway - I have not built this one before and I'm not looking for anything spectacular - just fun. I'll build it up as much like mine as I can when it comes to cosmetics, anyway. Olympic blue, black bumpers, etc....I'll check out the entex offering, too....
euro911
Since the recovery from back surgery is going well and has renewed the spirit level of my mechanical ego, I need to start cleaning up my garage, as there's tools and boxes full of new car parts that have built up over the past year. It's supposed to rain next week, so I'll attempt to start consolidating and organizing a bit while stuck inside.

Click to view attachment

I'd like to make my way to the back to work on my old Harley. The front rotor got warped the last time I rode her in 2018, (long story), and I ordered a new rotor & brake pads and a front brake lever (which was the root cause). Hopefully we won't be on lock-down when summer rolls around, and I can take her out again (?)

Click to view attachment
draganc
Building my new CNC plasma cutting table....

Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
Started working on the old Rigid Chopper.

Little tapping and I can't remember how long its been since I did lifters in it.

So I ordered new solid lifters and lifter blocks. Then took a close look at the cam and found a spot on it. Now I ordered an Andrews #7 cam for it. It has an OLD .475 Sifton cam in it now and is a screamer. The Andrews cam is as close in specs as I can find. Little more lift, but I have room on the S&S heads.

Its an 88 incher, 4 1/4 stroke and 3 5/8 bore, up fro the stock 74 inches.

So now I'm thinking maybe doing a cleanup bore and new S&S pistons. I do vaguely remember doing a hone and rings at least twice.

The paint on the cases and trans is looking pretty bad also. Along with the chrome on the rocker boxes and kicker cover.

I'm really afraid where this will end up...

Click to view attachment

mepstein
I traded money to my builder for pics of the engine for bike #2
dan10101
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Apr 5 2020, 03:52 PM) *

Back in the day we used to use the GA Shadetree method for getting wrecked cars back in shape. Tie to a tree, put it in reverse and hold on tight, a bootleg frame straightner!

We did that a couple weeks ago on a friends Jeep with a bent tie rod bar. we used a bolt drilled into the concrete from the frame job on my 914, I told him, go easy! We replaced it the next week. icon_bump.gif LOL
Unobtanium-inc
Ok, I split and stacked all the wood, now what?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Apr 5 2020, 05:52 PM) *

I used a steel basketball post and a very large Oak tree as a frame machine when my nephew got hit in the side of his Datsun 510. A comealong and some very large tow straps were used to pull the B pillar back into place. He never did repaint the orange doors to match the blue car, but they fit.
billh1963
I'm still working...no quarantine for me. But, since my youngest son is home from Texas A&M we did claybar, compound and polish my two 996's. I don't have good "after" pictures of each car but we did take them for a drive afterward. I let my son drive the red one and I drove the white one. They were "much faster" after the waxing biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

daytona
Hi all,
This stay at home order is a necessary inconvenience, but it is allowing me to spend some additional time with my car project. Lately been doing a lot of parts prep and cleaning prior to installing back in the car. Started the restoration of my 1968 E-Type in November 2018. The body work was performed by Bodywerks in Holly Hill, FL, and the engine build was done by Gary Hagopian. Below are some couple of pics.

Stating point.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Engine coming out.

Click to view attachment

On the left is the engine builder Gary Hagopian, and me. In the background is the Jag body just back from the body shop.

Click to view attachment

Body work in progress. Complete floor, sills, and rocker panels were replaced as well as both door skins, trunk floor, lower rear quarters, and rear valance.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 6 2020, 11:29 AM) *

I'm still working...no quarantine for me. But, since my youngest son is home from Texas A&M we did claybar, compound and polish my two 996's. I don't have good "after" pictures of each car but we did take them for a drive afterward. I let my son drive the red one and I drove the white one. They were "much faster" after the waxing biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

looking good Bill, enjoy!!
i think i finally finished tuning my rebiuld MPS#1, perfect idle, satisfied with part and full load A/F readings. Idle is at 950rpm 12.8-13AF, SO- moving on to other things- oh and i am NOt at one job for next 2 weeks. sorry, Bill i guess you have to shelter in place in your office...... do you have your N95 mask for those “close encounters”?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.