Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any shelter in place projects ? non-914 is OK !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
rgalla9146
We couldn't find a small bakers rack for the kitchen.
Plenty of time on our hands.....
What to do ?
Needed to fit in a corner.
Off to the garage. 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle iron 96 " tall
Results in place.
Shelf material and small details to be determined.
Spoke
A continuing winter project. Building a trestle for my HO layout. The plywood is where the trestle will be and the shape.

Click to view attachment

Printed some jigs to set the stringer. The stringer is several thin pieces of wood glued together so they can follow the shape. The jigs are held together with track rail so they have a smooth profile.

Click to view attachment

The stringers are made and glued to form the shape desired.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Ties are glued in.

Click to view attachment

Assembling the bents using the same shape as the track. I made these bents over 25 years ago and never used them...Until now.

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
I broke down and bought a 3d printer. Scored a Creality CR10S Pro V2. 300x300x400 build space. Should be here Thursday.

I've come up with enough projects that it finally made sense. A dozen+ of them even 914 related biggrin.gif

My fruitless Mulberry tree is leafing, makes it harder to breathe, plus there is green dust EVERYWHERE, so doing car stuff in the driveway has been postponed for a week or two. A small price to pay for a summer full of shade and workable temps.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 22 2020, 04:04 PM) *

Ties are glued in.

Click to view attachment

Assembling the bents using the same shape as the track. I made these bents over 25 years ago and never used them...Until now.

Click to view attachment

The last pic shows a big tressle upside down ?
Wow ! intricate work. 25 years at it. Get busy.
73-914
Rebuilding mail box again, have to be at work in the morning
Dion
Not as fantastic as your project Rory,..but I found an old storage bin of my grandfather’s. A lick of paint and a label maker later. It passed the time today.
Spoke
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 22 2020, 05:03 PM) *

The last pic shows a big tressle upside down ?
Wow ! intricate work. 25 years at it. Get busy.

Yes. Building the trestle upside down as I'm using the curved roadbed as a jig so after building the roadbed I flipped it upside down and used some more jigs to properly space and position the bents. Printed a lot of jigs, braces, clamps, and hold downs with the 3d printer.

The trestle was started in my other house before moving to Allentown 25 years ago. The Allentown house had a lot more room so the layout grew and the original trestle which was never completed was torn apart for re-deployment in its new position and shape.

Two daughters and two Porsches means the only time for model railroading is in the winter. beerchug.gif
aturboman
Hi Rory I restored a rare early 914-6 drivers seat adjuster.

These are the straight arm style with different knob and brass adjustment finger.

I’m saving my HO train build for retirement

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(aturboman @ Mar 22 2020, 08:14 PM) *

Hi Rory I restored a rare early 914-6 drivers seat adjuster.

These are the straight arm style with different knob and brass adjustment finger.

I’m saving my HO train build for retirement

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I had forgotten there was an early version. I'll have to check my '70 four that I'm parting out.
aturboman
Definitely should; they are pretty hard to come by especially not all rusted away.
PlaysWithCars
Does anybody know what build date the change occurred? May need to add another 'collect it when you can' item to my list for when/if I decide to restore my -6.
Tdskip
I got a car for me and the boy wrench on.

It is hilarious to drive and somehow a ton of fun to run around in.
URY914
I been installing Hardie board planks on my workshop addition. Slow process but I've getting there.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
A customer's independent Porsche shop is close enough for me to visit. Plenty of space for keeping social-distance. This is a 2.9 with Kinsler fuel injection, coil-on-plug, stand alone mgmt and 1.625" msds headers. Always brainstorming at this shop on the latest header , cams and final muffler combinations.
Click to view attachment
euro911
Not only the Corona 'lock-down', but we're getting a lot of rain too pat.gif

I have a few plastic model kits I can work on: a BMW 2002, a '62 Pontiac Catalina (my mom had a '62 Bonneville), and a Vanagon Westfalia kit.

Checking out Spoke's cool train setup ... I have a lot of H.O gauge stuff, but it's all at my place in AZ, so that'll have to wait - but I have some 'N' gauge and 'Z' gauge stuff here in CA. I'd like to build the 'Z' gauge into a top shelf of a glass-top coffee table, so I'll have to look for an appropriate coffee table. Probably need to modify it for a shelf/drawer to build the diorama in idea.gif

... and of course, I can always amuse myself with musical instruments rock_band.gif

Hope y'all can find something to keep your minds, bodies and general outlook in good shape.
Unobtanium-inc
I've been breaking in my new log splitter, then it's on to re-doing the woodpile for better air circulation.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(PlaysWithCars @ Mar 22 2020, 09:27 PM) *

Does anybody know what build date the change occurred? May need to add another 'collect it when you can' item to my list for when/if I decide to restore my -6.

Great question.
I think I have one of those somewhere. Must look
In the 356 world they poll owners by chassis number to define where changes.
occured.
Plenty of early cars here to inspect but these seat bases are easily changed.
Beautiful job Robert.
SirAndy
I'm getting a lot of stuff done around the house for the last two weeks ...
biggrin.gif

Tdskip
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 22 2020, 10:04 PM) *

I've been breaking in my new log splitter, then it's on to re-doing the woodpile for better air circulation.

That is a lot of firewood!
BK911
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 22 2020, 09:55 PM) *

Dats cool. Completely different than a P car, which is part of the fun. Takes up 2 914 spots though!

Here's my family cruiser. 1967 caddy. All blasted and powder coated suspension and steering, disc brake conversion, etc.

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(BK911 @ Mar 23 2020, 09:41 AM) *

Dats cool. Completely different than a P car, which is part of the fun. Takes up 2 914 spots though!

Here's my family cruiser. 1967 caddy. All blasted and powder coated suspension and steering, disc brake conversion, etc.

Click to view attachment

Chrome spokes !.....on a Caddy !!!
Love the colors Green on green.
Tdskip
QUOTE(BK911 @ Mar 23 2020, 08:41 AM) *

Click to view attachment

@bk911 - Love it! Looks like you have it nicely sorted. Thanks for the post.
euro911
drooley.gif Those wire wheels kick it! Post some more pix.
Mueller
Finally installed new wheels on my bandsaw.
I didn't have to purchase anything new, all this stuff was just sitting around.

For the rear, I took some all thread rod and made some delrin bushings to go into the steel tubing. (Bushings not shown)

For the front I wanted the wheels to turn. Since the tool is lighter on that end the smaller casters are just fine.

I made some aluminum parts to allow the casters to bolt over the .75" square tube. I made a different type of delrin spacers to firmly locate the square tubing.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jfort
I’ve got three 914 projects awaiting. Had my fuel level gauge and tank sender checked by Hartmut at Palo Alto. Due to arrive back today. What great service Hartmut provides! Got to reinstall. Maybe a bad wire or ground? Next, install new front targa top seal from 914Rubber. They are a _itch to put on. Have to work up some patience. And finally, I got new longer wheel studs as I didn’t think the open nuts had enough thread showing. So, all the hubs will be coming off soon.
raynekat
Putting up a cedar fence to block out the neighboring farmer's eyesore of a yard. Should have done this years ago.
Better late than never, eh?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
johnhora
raynekat
that's a nice really fence
I need you to come to my house and build one of those for me.
biggrin.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 23 2020, 04:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 22 2020, 10:04 PM) *

That is a lot of firewood!

I burn a lot, if you look at the green area, that's how much I've burned this year, and I'm burning today.
oldschool
Yup yard work front and back, moved the gazebo so the new Grape vines have something to climb on.
sorry no pictures.....Almost forgot help the son in-law work on his new gear table.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 23 2020, 09:17 AM) *

Finally installed new wheels on my bandsaw.
I didn't have to purchase anything new, all this stuff was just sitting around.

For the rear, I took some all thread rod and made some delrin bushings to go into the steel tubing. (Bushings not shown)

For the front I wanted the wheels to turn. Since the tool is lighter on that end the smaller casters are just fine.

I made some aluminum parts to allow the casters to bolt over the .75" square tube. I made a different type of delrin spacers to firmly locate the square tubing.

Pretty sure I would have just welded the casters on the existing tube blink.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 23 2020, 12:34 PM) *

No gas for my MIG or TIG welder and my oxy/acet rig is out on loan.

billh1963

Awesome! Neighbors had one back in the late ‘70’s. Always enjoyed it when we got to ride in the car with the top down.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 23 2020, 11:05 AM) *

Putting up a cedar fence to block out the neighboring farmer's eyesore of a yard. Should have done this years ago.
Better late than never, eh?

Click to view attachment

Nice Doug-

Wife and I spent some time in the garage this weekend being creative.
Check your mail in the next few days.... idea.gif popcorn[1].gif

aktion035.gif

Oscar
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 23 2020, 01:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 23 2020, 12:34 PM) *

No gas for my MIG or TIG welder and my oxy/acet rig is out on loan.

Got it, Makes more sense smile.gif

Certainly is a very cool solution smile.gif
Mueller
That fence looks great. I built a fence with my next door neighbor, had all tools yet we still ended up with a fence that is uneven and not straight.
raynekat
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 23 2020, 02:28 PM) *

That fence looks great. I built a fence with my next door neighbor, had all tools yet we still ended up with a fence that is uneven and not straight.

I know, I know.
I put out a nice string with my stakes for each post a straight as an arrow.
Affect digging the holes and setting the posts in cement, I wasn't so straight anymore.
hissyfit.gif
It's about as straight as a snake on speed I guess.
But it looks fine from our side which is all that really matters...and it will last a long, long time.

Thanks for all the atta-boys everyone.
Will keep my eyes pealed Oscar. shades.gif

The local fence company quoted me an eye popping price.
I did it for about 1/3 the price.
Took me a total of one week for 120' of 6' cedar.

The finishing touch was the stain/sealer that I applied in 2 coats.
Supposedly will last looking like this for 5-6 years, then another coat will be needed.

Click to view attachment
mbseto
Re-stocking a 30's era Mauser.

Click to view attachment
AmjadY
On lockdown here in Michigan so I figured I have been staring at the original 1.8 from my car for four years now (upgraded to 2.0 a few years back)....time to do something with it...

now that I got it apart I don't know what to do with it....

stock? 1911? or get crazy....

stay healthy...
Maltese Falcon
My nephew was in the hunt for some American Iron, so I helped him PPI this '64 T-Bird ...and it's in his ownership now. Built at the Wixom, Ohio plant, shipped to L.A. and lived its life in SoCal. 390 c.i. and just about everything has been kept up/ and works. It sat in a Condo parking structure covered in 1/4" of dust...but detailed out real nice.
He can now go cruising down the hood in his 64... in a big red Bird biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
My wish list...

Oscar

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
djway
Decided I need to get all the projects in condition to allow for sale if the V should get me.
The engine that was supposed to go in the 75, now going LS, fell into this little project.
Click to view attachment
63 Notchback sunroof
This was a rough mockup to see of the L Jet could be managed.
Should be setting deck height tomorrow.
AC, hopefully high amp alternator
Almost finished sewing the full custom interior
Flightpath
catio
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mbseto @ Mar 23 2020, 07:39 PM) *

Re-stocking a 30's era Mauser.

Click to view attachment

I have a few gun cleaning projects to do as well, wish our range was open!, and I spy that Buffalo trace and a Blanton's!! so far I only have 4 of the Blanton tops, not available here in SC I have to grab those when I go to NC to see my son or up to Cincy to see the nephew and their kids. in fact just to get a Buffalo trace I had to get on a list during holiday and they got an allocated shipment and they called me to pick up my bottle! crazy how different availability of bourbon differs from state to state!!;- so enjoy and have a shot for me.

I know you are in Cincy, as is my nephew, so you guys have way better access for that and other Buffalo trace and Stitzle-Weller products! My fav is the Weller Antique 107, but I did have some Pappy this past Weekend!!!!! - heard it kills viruses if the proof is over 120 biggrin.gif

for my non-914 project, we just installed 2 new sink bases and tops in our master bath, fully repainted master bath suite etc ., next up, some garage re arranging.
btw I am at work due to being considered mission essential here at Parris Island, the training must go on as does healthcare, lots of screening, will work unless they completely close the clinic!!
stay safe and clean Ya'all !!

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 24 2020, 12:56 AM) *

Where did you get that? I want one badly! Betty wants me to have one!
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 24 2020, 10:54 AM) *

I'm sure Oscar made it. Put me on the buy list for one too. beerchug.gif
Tdskip
Love seeing all these projects - let’s keep this going.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 24 2020, 07:54 AM) *

Clay- @ClayPerrine

Yes, I made these. I was bored. confused24.gif

Provide shirt size, then PayPal me $1.00 (Admin Special) with your mailing address.

ovalerio23@gmail.com

That easy...I can do more later once things calm down.

Oscar
Bleyseng
Putting in a apartment in the half of the basement. Sucking up all my "Shelter in Place" time. I'll put in some quality 914 time later today, like waxing the car.
Jonathan Livesay
No pictures but just got done replacing the circulation pump and motor on our Kenmore dishwasher which gave up the ghost on day 5. Not super exciting but there you go!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.