Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Fluid Flood at Pedal Cluster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CoronaMike
Hi y'all,

So, in the final stages of getting my car back on the road and was bleeding my brakes.

Then i started seeing my footprints around the garage and I couldn't figure out why... turns out the carpet was soaked with brake fluid!

Does anyone know what's going on - AND - Is there any way to fix this withOUT taking the pedal cluster out?

(one of my least favorite things in life to do)

Or should I just bite the bullet - pull the pedals and the master cylinder...(my second least favorite).

Thanks!!!

mike
914forme
master cylinder leak
ctc911ctc
Pressure Bleed?

If so, perhaps gaskets on the top of the MC?

I am in the middle of this now - my leak was at the gaskets

CARPET in your Garage!!!! That is one clean car!

QUOTE(CoronaMike @ Mar 22 2020, 03:09 PM) *

Hi y'all,

So, in the final stages of getting my car back on the road and was bleeding my brakes.

Then i started seeing my footprints around the garage and I couldn't figure out why... turns out the carpet was soaked with brake fluid!

Does anyone know what's going on - AND - Is there any way to fix this withOUT taking the pedal cluster out?

(one of my least favorite things in life to do)

Or should I just bite the bullet - pull the pedals and the master cylinder...(my second least favorite).

Thanks!!!

mike
iankarr
Yep. Sounds like a leaky MC. When you replace it, make sure the pushrod gap is within spec. IIRC it's adjust till contact, then back off a turn. Please correct me if my brain has cramped.
CoronaMike
Thanks guys!

Any reviews on the 914 Rubber 19mm master cylinder?

ps - the carpet (in the car was soaked) not in the garage....the garage carpet is still nice and white.....(jk...the garage isn't carpeted) wink.gif

ctc911ctc
I have the 19mm, no problems with it.

I replaced the washer in the fast install kit that I ordered with it - I like washers that do not move (they selected rubber rings which - IMHO - are too pliable)

QUOTE(CoronaMike @ Mar 22 2020, 03:41 PM) *

Thanks guys!

ps - the carpet (in the car was soaked) not in the garage....the garage carpet is still nice and white.....(jk...the garage isn't carpeted) wink.gif

ctc911ctc
I have the 19mm, no problems with it.

I replaced the washer in the fast install kit that I ordered with it - I like washers that do not move (they selected rubber rings which - IMHO - are too pliable)

QUOTE(CoronaMike @ Mar 22 2020, 03:41 PM) *

Thanks guys!

iankarr
Loving mine. I did an installation video in case you're curious about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6ZHK5f_9bE
mobymutt
QUOTE(CoronaMike @ Mar 22 2020, 05:41 PM) *

Thanks guys!

I installed the 914 Rubber one, it went in fine and works great!
CoronaMike
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Mar 22 2020, 05:07 PM) *

I just watched it actually - thanks! I also saw your bleeding the master cylinder video. Were you ever going to make a bleeding the rest of the brakes video? Or is it pretty much the same as the master cylinder video - just on the rest of the wheels? smile.gif
BK911
If you're going to pressure bleed the brakes, no need to bench bleed the MC. Much easier to install dry.

If for some reason you insist on bleeding the MC, you can do it installed instead of on the bench. That's what I do on cars that I don't have an adapter for the MC reservoir.

After bleeding the MC, use a 2*4 (or whatever) to hold down brake pedal. Put a few paper towels under MC, then remove bleed lines and connect brake lines. With pedal depressed only a few drops of fluid will fall when swapping lines.
Spoke
Not sure why bleeding brakes would cause the MC to leak. I assume you were pumping the brakes to bleed? If so, did you push all the way to the floor?
mepstein
I remember pulling into my garage and slowing to a stop at the last foot before I would have hit my wall. Found fluid on the floor of the car. Brakes worked fine until they didn't.
The fluid can also damage the plastic bushings on the brake pedal. They swell and get tight.
PanelBilly
I’d pull out the carpet and clean up the floor pans and cluster. The fluid eats paint.
anderssj
agree.gif

Also check for brake fluid inside the shift tunnel...it spills out of the side of the pedal cluster and runs back into the tunnel. BTDT. barf.gif
euro911
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 22 2020, 05:02 PM) *
I’d pull out the carpet and clean up the floor pans and cluster. The fluid eats paint.
agree.gif I was just getting ready to post the same thing.

Pull the whole pedal assembly because guaranteed there's fluid underneath it. You don't want your car to rust any faster than it already does normally shades.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 22 2020, 10:11 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 22 2020, 05:02 PM) *
agree.gif I was just getting ready to post the same thing.

Pull the whole pedal assembly because guaranteed there's fluid underneath it. You don't want your car to rust any faster than it already does normally shades.gif

agree.gif
this happened to me back about 3 months ago, wet under pedals. no leaks since i installed this rebuilt one about 6 years ago, but just my second drive out after i came back from Okteenerfest, and i noticed fluid under the car as i backed out. anyway i could smell it too, in the car, paint under the car where it was seeping thru floor pan was coming off. anyway i pulled the pedal cluster to clean it off, and the floor etc too.

i also replaced it with the 19mm from 914rubber and very happy with it.
phil
CoronaMike
Thanks for all the replies! New 19mm MC is on the way.

Not looking forward to the job - BUT....

shelter in place, right? smile.gif

iankarr
QUOTE(CoronaMike @ Mar 22 2020, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Mar 22 2020, 05:07 PM) *

I just watched it actually - thanks! I also saw your bleeding the master cylinder video. Were you ever going to make a bleeding the rest of the brakes video? Or is it pretty much the same as the master cylinder video - just on the rest of the wheels? smile.gif

Actually, that's the next one up! Should be posted in the next day or so.
CoronaMike
Actually, that's the next one up! Should be posted in the next day or so.

Just in time! Thanks Ian, love your vids.

m
Mikey914
Thanks for the props guys.
Bleeding the MC can be an issue with a pressure bleeder if you crank up the pressure. The best way is by vacuum

https://www.harborfreight.com/Brake-Bleeder...nRoCIK4QAvD_BwE
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.