Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone Used Mirrachrome?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
This stuff looks pretty cool....anyone tried it?

http://alsacorp.com/products/mirrachrome/m...ra_prodinfo.htm

In their 'photos' section, they have a chrome 928....

I can just imagine a chrome 914...talk about bling!

user posted image
McMark
Do it. Tell me how it works. wink.gif I'd like to get a setup to do this, but without a first hand sample, nobody's interested.
Jeroen
starter kit is only $319
CptTripps
Is it me, or does that 928 look like Queen Amidala's ship in Episode I?

From the looks of the video, look how fast that stuff dries! I'd need a gallon for a 914...not sure I'd be willing to gamble $1300 in pant...but that could look pretty cool if done right!
drgchapman
Yes, I've used it on a stair rail. Stuff is very good. BMW uses their product on their wheels. Very trick, very expensive. Take some technic to get it right. We used black under coat for a stainless steel look. Use white under coat for an aluminum look. Blend for steel look. They have many cool paints. I like the color over chrome, might make a real cool bumper........
tat2dphreak
ohmy.gif

would that even be street legal? blind everyone on the road
jonwatts
MirraChrome comes ready to spray meaning no reducers or hardeners, just pour it in your gun and spray, when you're finished simply pour it back into it's container to use later.

I like that. Cuts down on the number of variables to screw up or have to experiment with in different weather conditions.

bondo
I've got some "near chrome" powdercoating powder, I haven't used it yet. Once I do I'll post a report. Not as handy as this stuff tho becuase it can only go on metal, and only on parts that will fit in an oven. That mirrachrome stuff would rock on fiberglass bumpers. smile.gif
MetricMayhem
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 6 2005, 08:38 AM)
That mirrachrome stuff would rock on fiberglass bumpers. smile.gif

That's what I was thinking.
bondo
I've been thinking about this, and I just don't think an all chrome 914 would look good. I think it'd look best on an curvy car. Even a 928 is a bit bland. How about a chrome Pacer? smile.gif
SpecialK
VERY cool site! They have lots of other stuff (thermoformsomethingorother) that has some definite possibilities.... idea.gif
Brent
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 6 2005, 07:14 AM)
ohmy.gif

would that even be street legal? blind everyone on the road

Just saw a NAPA auto parts store with the OCC chopper dudes in a commercial about them chroming out a napa delivery pickup. Thing was so bright, Mickey was blinded and crashed into it. The spot definetly missed the comic mark.
bondo
What's the music in the third mirrachrome video? I recognize it, but I can't put my finger on it. Arr, it's driving me nuts!
Brent
Just thought that would look sweet on my plastic California mirrors and bumpers, but I guess its cost prohibitive.
bondo
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 6 2005, 02:47 PM)
What's the music in the third mirrachrome video? I recognize it, but I can't put my finger on it. Arr, it's driving me nuts!

Nevermind, I figured it out.. it's Blue Man Group.
redshift
Been using metalizers on models for a long time... may be cheaper to go Testors..

wink.gif

M
scotty b
I just got a dvd from innate.com last night showing some killer effects that can be done with mirrachrome and another product they sell called black chrome. I'm going to be getting some small bottles to play with soon! biggrin.gif
Brent
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 6 2005, 03:45 PM)
Been using metalizers on models for a long time... may be cheaper to go Testors..

wink.gif

M

No chrome metalizers. Just Aluminum, steel, copper, etc....
Dead Air
Thanks for the heads up Capt tripps
Here's a home theater I'm working on (for a customer) where the product would be perfect!!! smilie_pokal.gif smile.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 6 2005, 02:45 PM)

wink.gif

M

Elaborate on this "Testors" you speak of, pray.gif old and wise maker of custom gitfiddles... pray.gif

In other words....is it cheaper?

Wait a minute....are you talking about Testor's model paint? huh.gif
smooth_eddy
I saw a Cobra with that at a classic car show. Leaves bad fingerprints everywhere though. More maintanence than a black car. E
bondo
The original cobras were aluminum, are you sure it wasn't just polished aluminum? (really bad for fingerprints)
smooth_eddy
The original cobras were aluminum, are you sure it wasn't just polished aluminum? (really bad for fingerprints

Hmmmmmm, not sure? wacko.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 6 2005, 03:45 PM)

Yeah I had thought a while ago about trying mono-kote for re-chroming plastic and maybe trying it on a fiberglass bumper.

Also wondering if this MirraChrome would be good on wheels? Prepping wheels for paint is a lot less labor than polishing. idea.gif
redshift
Well, they say yes... smile.gif

Yeah, Testors model paint.

M
Brent
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Jul 6 2005, 08:32 PM)
I saw a Cobra with that at a classic car show. Leaves bad fingerprints everywhere though. More maintanence than a black car. E

Cobra screen capture
Dead Air
If anybody has some, I'll buy a half-pint.

Hey miles, Testors paint? Which, what, how much, where??
redshift
For instance:

http://www.a2zhobbies.com/Testors/Metalizer/

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.