Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Struts and Springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
'74 2.0L

Found this one in RI and have resurrected it from a 40 year nap over the past 1.5 years - could not have done this without the teeeners, thank you!

My son noticed that the cars stance had changed. I went under the car and found that the original strut has blown a gasket and is leaking - perhaps now it is NOT moving correctly, etc.

QUESTION

For a non-performance-but-good-ride what would you recommend as a replacement? I am guessing that I would replace the struts and the springs as a complete assembly? confused24.gif

Thank you Teeners
pray.gif pray.gif
914e
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Mar 24 2020, 06:08 AM) *

'74 2.0L

Found this one in RI and have resurrected it from a 40 year nap over the past 1.5 years - could not have done this without the teeeners, thank you!

My son noticed that the cars stance had changed. I went under the car and found that the original strut has blown a gasket and is leaking - perhaps now it is NOT moving correctly, etc.

QUESTION

For a non-performance-but-good-ride what would you recommend as a replacement? I am guessing that I would replace the struts and the springs as a complete assembly? confused24.gif

Thank you Teeners
pray.gif pray.gif

Many of us seem to use Bilsteins. I think Auto Atlanta is have a run a Boge struts being made if you want original.
I have never seen a complete assembly sold. You have to assemble then yourself or have them assembled. Springs can be dangerous if possible find shop to do it for you, if you have not done heavy suspension work before. I had spring spin out of the compressor when I was young. It happened so fast we thought the spring compressor broke. I still hate working on springs.

You might want to replace the springs while you are at it, many are sagging now.
mepstein
Most of the time the springs are shot. Save all the pieces when you take apart your old assembly. There are a couple parts that get reused. Bruce Stone often has good used shocks if you are on a budget. Bilstein is often the "go to" and are available from many sources. You usually want the HD as the sports are usually to stiff for road and better for the track. It's hard to find the springs that fit but I believe 914rubber now has replacements.

If you decide to do the front struts, you can replace the inserts by dropping the top of the strut from the car without having to remove the entire assembly.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we are in the process of getting the original boge rear shocks made, and will offer a completely stock shock and spring package very soon. front and rear shocks, struts, rear stock springs.

'74 2.0L

QUESTION

Thank you Teeners
pray.gif pray.gif

ctc911ctc
George,

I will take a pair please.

Soon?

Thank you Mr. 700

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 24 2020, 09:28 AM) *

we are in the process of getting the original boge rear shocks made, and will offer a completely stock shock and spring package very soon. front and rear shocks, struts, rear stock springs.

'74 2.0L

QUESTION

Thank you Teeners
pray.gif pray.gif

rhodyguy
Do all 4 corners.
r_towle
Do all four corners.
Use Koni, and new springs for the rear.
Don’t go cheap here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.