Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips on pressure washing a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning - have some time to clean up a couple of the cars (shocking, yes) and wanted to ask about do/don’t when using a pressure washer.

Obviously not on carbs or any points of water ingress into the engine or trans, other tips?

Thanks gentlemen.

eric9144
Try to avoid blasting lenses.
If there aren't rain tray's on the engine lids take a large trash bag and cover the whole engine lid with it to prevent a crap load of water getting in there.
When done check both trunks for pooled water and both sides of the engine bay.
Also try to avoid blasting the back window from the outside, if seals are old it tends to be the final nail in the coffin for the seal and you'll end up with lots of water in the cabin behind the seats at the base of the fire wall (inside)

Depending on the nozzle you use avoid getting too close to the paint and under coating because you'll blast it right off.
Johny Blackstain
I wouldn't pressure wash any old VW or Porsche because like it or not they're all notorious rust buckets and pressure washing tends to get water in to places it normally doesn't get. I wash by hand & then dry with a leaf blower & shammy. cool_shades.gif
FlacaProductions
The only place i'd use a pressure washer would be in the longs after I removed the outer rockers or - at least - removed the hardware across the bottom and pulled them out a touch so that the water and crap that you'll dislodge has somewhere to go....
TravisNeff
Don't get the wand too close to the paint. It can take it off if you are an inch or two away. On my 911 I have a couple of spots where the paint got thin when I was cleaning the underside (less paint is used on the bottom).
Tdskip
Thanks guys, appreciate the responses.

It is really the engine bay and trans, but I remember Dr Evil giving dope slaps for pressure washing the transmission.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.