Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 for Newbies Video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
This episode shows how I bleed the brakes with the Motive pressure bleeder. Of course there are LOTS of methods...and all do the job. I just usually work solo, and this system is handy for me. Hope you guys find this helpful...or at least better than watching coronavirus coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymHHD6uKhfc
nsargeant
Kudos to you for putting together these videos. I have seen most of them and they are very informative. Even encouraged me to by a quick jack for my 914 which I love. Good job and keep it up !

Nathan
iankarr
QUOTE(nsargeant @ Mar 24 2020, 03:25 PM) *

Kudos to you for putting together these videos. I have seen most of them and they are very informative. Even encouraged me to by a quick jack for my 914 which I love. Good job and keep it up !

Nathan

Thanks, Nathan. Glad you're enjoying the videos...and the Quick Jack. Now, if only they'd give me a commission wink.gif.
911GT2
Again great video. popcorn[1].gif

Tech tip: There are special brake nipple tools. It's almost impossible to strip the nipple with those.
Click to view attachment
So if you're doing this often it's worth investing in one!
iankarr
Indeed. Thanks for mentioning those. Hopefully the bleeders are not crazy tight. Those flare nut wrenches are essential on brake lines for sure!
TonyA
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Mar 24 2020, 02:08 PM) *

This episode shows how I bleed the brakes with the Motive pressure bleeder. Of course there are LOTS of methods...and all do the job. I just usually work solo, and this system is handy for me. Hope you guys find this helpful...or at least better than watching coronavirus coverage.

How do I know which dot fluid is in my system already or should I just use the 3 or 4 and flush it out. I always did the pump method but getting to old for that. I am getting the motivation for the MOTIVE!
Thanks for the video popcorn[1].gif
iankarr
DOT 5 is silicone based. Simple test to see if you have DOT 5 in your system...

– Draw some fluid from the reservoir (dropper or syringe).
– Put it into a glass jar with clean water.
– Shake well and let stand
– If the water and the fluid have combiined and you can't see layers or blobs, you DON'T have silicone (DOT 5). You likely have either DOT 3 or DOT 4.
– If the water and the fluid are layered or blobby, the fluid is Silicone.

Note...DOT 5.1 is not silicone, but DOT 5 is. SO confusing...

The problem with mixing silicone with non-silicone is kinda exactly what happens in the water test. The fluid coagulates in the system and is a mess to clean out.
TonyA
Thanks
RickS
Fantastic video. Thanks for posting.
iankarr
Hey...I gotta do something to keep busy in quarantine smile.gif. Working on a few others I had in the can, but never got around to editing.

Curious...is anyone running DOT 5?
flipb
Cracked open the bleeder for the first time over the weekend, trying to relieve a dragging brake (Spoiler: it didn't work).

But I noted that you call for a 8mm wrench in the video, and I found a 7mm was the right size for the bleeder screw on my '74.
Jamie
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Mar 24 2020, 11:08 AM) *

Another well made and necessary video Ian. I prefer to use my Motive tank dry, just keeping the fluid level in the reservoir full as I apply pressure. Just a variation on your technique, needing less fluid for the job, and avoiding sucking air from the tank bottom. And Speed Bleeders also make the process less potentially problematic. cheer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.