Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
about 20-30% of the time I cannot shift to third. if seems to occur most often when I have run up to a high rpm in 2nd gear. other than that, it shifts perfectly. syncho? my mechanic/friend opined that it could be a mount that gets flexed under load. what do you guys think? it is a side shifter with some shorter gears. rennshift.
jr91472
when you say it won't shift into 3rd, do you mean that it grinds? or that you let the clutch out and find you are not in gear (i.e. neutral)?

what about down shifting from 4th into 3rd?
Joe Ricard
2 possiblities .. 1st and easiest is to check the adjustment of the linkage at the shifter. Try sliding the rod about 1/16" further into the shfter clamp thingy.

2nd could be a synchro.
jfort
if I go to 4th and come back to 3rd it engages fine. for that matter, it always engages fine on a downshift. it is only a problem when trying to shift quickly from 2nd to 3rd.
jfort
never any grinding. when I say it won't shift, I mean that it is like hitting a wall -- a solid lock out.
jr91472
First let me say that there are guys here that know a whole lot more about tranny's than me (they have been coaching me for about the last 6 mos).

It sounds like either a shift linkage or internal fork alignment issue. Start with the shift linkage, make sure all the allen head nuts are tight and that your bushings are not wore out. Check the Pelican site for a tech article on shift linkage bushings....pretty easy stuff.

It might be possible that a bad trans or motor mount could contribute to mis-alignment when under load. So I would inspect those too.

keep bumping this thread and see if you get any other suggestions.

good luck beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.