Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Straightening Fiberglass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
I bought a set of fiberglass rocker covers, black, glossy - perfect.

One of the last things to go on the car - I tried to resurrect the originals but they were too far gone, sand and grind and there was nothing left!

I go to put them on and the top part that is supposed to sit on the bottom of the door frame was too short - did not cover the holes to mount them. Took a closer look and the lip on the top of these covers was curled.
WTF.gif

Spent the night trying to straighten them. smash.gif

Click to view attachment

Buyer beware - some assembly required! 20 minute job has taken 4 hours. Still not done!

CTC911CTC
tygaboy
I feel your pain! Well, actually, no. I was so disappointed with the fit that I sold the fiberglass rockers I bought. OK for a track car, not OK for a street car.

Please post the "after" pics. I'd be interested in how yours turn out.

Best of luck! smash.gif
ctc911ctc
HA!

Perhaps I bought these from you? shades.gif I picked them up on Ebay.

Either way, will close out this thread as we move along.

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 26 2020, 06:47 PM) *

I feel your pain! Well, actually, no. I was so disappointed with the fit that I sold the fiberglass rockers I bought. OK for a track car, not OK for a street car.

Please post the "after" pics. I'd be interested in how yours turn out.

Best of luck! smash.gif

porschetub
Don't heat sad.gif ,you will weaken the resin and make stress cracks,you will need to make relieving cuts with a 1mm cutoff wheel and fit some sort of strong back out of wood or metal etc,you may need to grind the area so its thinner and it will bend outwards better,when you are setup and clamped that edge out,glass up the area of cuts and ground back areas,just make sure you tape over the edge so the strong back isn't stuck to the part sad.gif .
Let it cure for as long as you can otherwise it will tend to move back part of the way from the original molded shape.
Fiberglass parts never seem to fit because most don't like the tooling cost to get a perfect correct pattern (plug) and the mold which is the final shape won't produce the correct fitting part.
My front valance/spoiler is fiberglass and is a really crappy,after working in this sticky shit for years I'am amazed @ the lack of QC and bad layup procedure used,the problem is compounded by cheap labour used and folks that aren't proper laminators or mold makers for that matter.
Good luck.
Mikey914
Just out of củiosity who was the manufacturer?
ctc911ctc
I purchased from a private party in Ebay. Not sure who made them - they were inexpensive - Buyer Beware!

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 26 2020, 08:22 PM) *

Just out of củiosity who was the manufacturer?

Mikey914
Well we will have the Sheridan molds soon so I look forward to seeing how they are.
ctc911ctc
I was able to calibrate the angle to perhaps 1 radian using these super-precise instruments.

Almost done mounting.

Is the bottom of this thing anchored or is it just flapping in the breeze?

HELP!
r_towle
Sheet metal screws into the long.
That is what I have seen.
ctc911ctc
Even with the 'lip' of the rocker covers 'straightened' there is not enough meat to screw through!

Time to get the lip stretcher. A little feathering of Epoxy.

Only need 1/2 an inch!

Click to view attachment

That seems about right

Slather on the Epoxy - Liquid Weld

Click to view attachment

Now, I can dremmel that into shape!

5 hours into this, not even 1/2 way done!
mbseto
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Mar 28 2020, 10:20 PM) *

I was able to calibrate the angle to perhaps 1 radian using these super-precise instruments.

I can get within one radian just by eyeballing it. I'm that good.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
fiberglass parts never fit correctly unless by some miracle
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 30 2020, 10:20 AM) *

the problem with the rocker panels is that they are too thick to clam shell around the sill and the inner rocker panel like the steel ones. If they could be cast thinner there would not be a problem

ctc911ctc
I agree George,

Or they could have the lip cast a bit longer! (wider?)

Will post as progress is made.

CTC911CTC

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 30 2020, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 30 2020, 10:20 AM) *

the problem with the rocker panels is that they are too thick to clam shell around the sill and the inner rocker panel like the steel ones. If they could be cast thinner there would not be a problem

ctc911ctc
Project going well - the JB weld holds, is solid and perhaps stronger than the straightened glass which bent pretty easy with heat and then with my expert calibration equipment (see above) av-943.gif stayed at the required angle.

More progress today.
Click to view attachment
porschetub
Why epoxy may I ask ?,these moldings are made with polyester resin,with what you are attempting to do you may have issues.
Good luck on this one.
ctc911ctc
JB weld was used, seems to be a very strong bond - the stuff is strong as steel. smash.gif

Working with these moldings I would say it is much harder than a resin, however, I will defer to the manufacturer......whom I cannot find. poke.gif

Thank you for the note,

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 30 2020, 08:15 PM) *

Why epoxy may I ask ?,these moldings are made with polyester resin,with what you are attempting to do you may have issues.
Good luck on this one.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.