Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Shifter - Installation Info?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StarBear
My "Shelter In Place" project has been to finally replace the original shifter/bushings. Installed the JWest unit (see photo) but didn't realize it has a Way higher bottom column than the original and it has a greater diameter, too (3" versus 2 5/8"). So, the console bottom doesn't fit! Other photos attached. The current leatherette shifter boot removes easily from the console bottom - looks sort of like the Hogwarts' "sorting hat" when it's out.
So, any tips/clues or retrofit kits besides cutting the console bottom hole to the 3" size (which I'd REALLY not like to do as I keep things as original looking as possible)? huh.gif
Also, even when/if the console bottom fits, there's a few inches of aluminum column that will be showing - a leatherette wrap or something? confused24.gif
Would really appreciate others' experiences or workarounds from those who've had similar issues.
Thanks!
Olympic 914
You could fabricate a new console bottom and cover it in vinyl. But no way getting around the fact that the Rennshifter is larger in diameter. then maybe making a vinyl sleeve that closely follows the shape of the original "Hogworths hat" one but is larger on the bottom.

Only if you really don't want to modify the original piece that will no longer be any use to you. and will sit in your pile of spare parts forever.

You could also use a 911 type shifter boot that will cover the bottom of the shifter.

BTW.. I have one I'm not using.
mepstein
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Mar 27 2020, 08:54 PM) *

You could fabricate a new console bottom and cover it in vinyl. But no way getting around the fact that the Rennshifter is larger in diameter. then maybe making a vinyl sleeve that closely follows the shape of the original "Hogworths hat" one but is larger on the bottom.

Only if you really don't want to modify the original piece that will no longer be any use to you. and will sit in your pile of spare parts forever.

You could also use a 911 type shifter boot that will cover the bottom of the shifter.

agree.gif
Tom
When I had my 914 and put a Renn-shift in it, I faced the same thing. I used a 911 SC shifter boot. I thought is looked great. If you are a good searcher, you may be able to find it as I remember posting a pic. If not, let me know and I will see if I still have a pic somewhere.
Tom
StarBear
That would be terrific, 'Olympic 914'! piratenanner.gif Do you have a photo? I'll PM you.
Who needs "aging mind excerises" when we have 914s?

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Mar 27 2020, 08:54 PM) *

Olympic 914
@StarBear

Click to view attachment

PM sent.
Mark Henry
It wouldn't look quite the same, but any good upholstery shop should be able to sew up a a leather boot that slips over the Rennshift body.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.