Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 steering lock disable for race car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhynesrockmtn
My 914-6 GT clone is a car that was built using a real 914-6 donor for some parts including the dash from talking to the builder.

He used it for solo PCA events in CA back in the late 90's.

The steering wheel lock still functions but not very well. I don't want to get held up in tech for having an operable steering lock.

Anybody have advice as to how to go about this? The few articles I've seen on Pelican reference 911's and 914-4 cars and they were a bit fuzzy on the details.

Click to view attachment
brant
That knee bar is in the wrong place. It will break your knee in a good impact. Is this going to be for wheel to wheel ?
914forme
Pull the switch. And follow the 911 instructions. Remove the plunger, reassemble and put it in the column. Over simplified instructions, I know, but unless I have to do it on my -6 I won't touch it.

Or if you feel like you just need to get it done fast:

Old school racer solution - Pull the switch. slap it in a vice. sawzall-smiley.gif long arm thingy off, reassemble.

Third option replace the switch with something a bit less valuable like a 911 one that has been gutted. You can change the lock wafers to match your current 914 key.

roblav1
A rollcage with a tube going across the dash like that would not pass SCCA tech... at least the tech I once new.
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 28 2020, 05:57 AM) *

That knee bar is in the wrong place. It will break your knee in a good impact. Is this going to be for wheel to wheel ?

It will see some wheel to wheel events. I have not had my shop look at the cage yet. At a minimum it will need some mods to install a bar behind the driver seat. Do you remove the bar below the dash or does it get re-located/replaced?

The car has been sitting for years and I am going through a refresh. I just did the brakes and have the parts to put in a fuel cell with a new tangerine racing stainless line. The carbs are being rebuilt. It's a 2.2 ltr 911 motor with webers. My goal was to get it running right and then assess further needs like cage mods, electrical system kill switch, fire system.......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.