Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brain Trust Needed - 2L Refresh
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
This might be long...

My current combo runs great, but I've been sitting on a set of Finch heads from Len Hoffman for years. There is no racing right now, so it seems like a good time. Here is the current combo:

2056cc
Stock Rods
Stock 2L heads (match ported)
86a Cam
9.5:1

I got a set of JE pistons in another deal (brand new, 96mm) and they appear to be stroker pistons. By my calculations I'd only need a 5.294" rod to counter the reduced pin height and am planning on a 5.325" rod or longer. Should be good either way there.

Now for the big problem. The Finch heads have a 50cc step-cut chamber. I like to run a tight deck (.04") and that combo would put me at 10:1. To get to the 9.5:1 I've been running I'd need to run almost .06" deck height.

So three questions.

1. Can the 86a handle 10:1 on 91 pump gas with proper tuning?
2. Is it better to run a loose deck and keep it at 9.5:1?
3. Put a 2cc (or larger) dish in the piston tops to keep a tight deck and lower the CR to 9.5:1 which I know works?

Thanks!

-Aaron

larryM
10:1 on 91 gas is a daydream - some get away with it on iron engines, but no way is is "safe" on alu engines

you can buy a MSD or other gadget to dial back the timing, but doing so simply results in no better performance than y'd get by sticking with your current CR

. . . if it's just a race car - go for the max, understanding that you will frequently rebuild the motor in your quest for the trophy - that's how "real racers" look at it - $$$ & longevity are irrelevant
Mblizzard
Are you running carbs? Personally if you are going to be pushing the limits, a static tuned system is not the best. An aftermarket EFI can really help you fine tune your performance and it is easy to back out some timing for the non race days.

Couple of suggestions. Nothing wrong with stock rods but there are some much better options out there. Really wont make a performance difference but may help in longevity.

Next not sure of what ignition system you have you thought of 123 Ignition system. It is programmable and adjustable by bluetooth and cn adjust timing to account for the variation in octane levels. .

Consider adding octane booster for race days?

I have an excel file for calculating compression ratio and shim requirements that I can send if you PM me your email.
yeahmag
I'm running a set of 40 Dellorto's, but with 36mm vents in them. I'm also running a Mallory Unilite, Mallory 6AL, and an LM-2, so I have tools do do some tuning. I have a 123 ignition on the shelf, but it needs some mods to work. Not out of the question though.

I have pretty much decided to put a 3cc dish in the pistons and run 5.325" rods from EMW. That should put my CR where I need it and allow me to not split the case at this time.
injunmort
how are you changing rods without splitting the case?
Mark Henry
You say stock rods but then stroker pistons?
The stock rods have a 24mm pin while stroker pistons use a 22mm pin.
yeahmag
@injunmort - I've been told this isn't a big deal. You can get to both sides of the rods through the cylinder spigots.

@Mark Henry I talked to Jorge at EMW and he has rods that will work for me. 5.325" length, 2L big end, 22mm small end.

http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/pvw/024-...5%22+-+Set+of+4

I'll probably need a small cylinder spacer to get to .040" deck height. Combine that with a 50cc cylinder head chamber and a 3cc dish in the pistons and I should be at 9.5:1 CR which is where I am now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.