Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Refurbising my seats and need stuff.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shag
Hello, I am refurbishing my seats and need to know what type, quality, kind of glue to purchase and where to purchase it. Also on the drivers side seat the handle you pull up to adjust the seat forward and back is broken and would like to purchase another. Please let me know what and or where to buy any of this stuff.
Thanks very much,
John
mepstein
QUOTE(shag @ Mar 28 2020, 05:37 PM) *

Hello, I am refurbishing my seats and need to know what type, quality, kind of glue to purchase and where to purchase it. Also on the drivers side seat the handle you pull up to adjust the seat forward and back is broken and would like to purchase another. Please let me know what and or where to buy any of this stuff.
Thanks very much,
John

I used Weldwood contact adhesive. Available at home stores, walmart, online, etc. Get a quart. The new vinyl will take two coats of glue on each side so it goes quickly. The trick is to let it dry twice as long as it's suggested on the can. 914rubber.com has the seat handle, upholstery and even a kit to rebuild the seat base.
Tdskip
Welcome @shag

You may want to ask this sort of question on the link as well - people will be happy to help and share experiences.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showforum=2
shag
Hello, I would like to thank you mepstein for the information. I am sure it will be very helpful. Please forgive me of any transgressions I have made in this communication as I am not that familiar with this. I have belonged to the 914 world for a while but have a mechanic who does most of the work. Thank you Tdskip form your friendliness and information.
John
mepstein
No problem. I’ve put threads in the wrong forum. I just recovered a set of 914 seats last year. I’m no expert but if you have any questions, just pm me. beerchug.gif Mark

@SirAndy
Please move to garage.
shag
Wow, They are really good looking, the red material is great. The black is very glossy too.

I was just looking online for adhesive and it comes in a gallon can and is only in the spray form. The cement comes in a 32oz can and I was wondering if that is what I should purchase.
Thanks again,
John
mepstein
QUOTE(shag @ Mar 29 2020, 03:15 PM) *

Wow, They are really good looking, the red material is great. The black is very glossy too.

I was just looking online for adhesive and it comes in a gallon can and is only in the spray form. The cement comes in a 32oz can and I was wondering if that is what I should purchase.
Thanks again,
John

I used 32 oz and spread it with a foam paint brush. You can use the brush many times because it softens when you use fresh cement. I trial fit everything and used two coats on all the vinyl since it soaks into the material. I also used a heat gun a lot. First to pre heat the material to help shape it to the seat and then after gluing to get rid of wrinkles. Take your time. It takes longer than you would think. You reuse the metal rods as foam in the old covers so don’t throw anything out.
PanelBilly
Buy a cheep paint gun from HF and and spray the contact on both surfaces. Practice on some scrap cardboard and learn to spray it so it comes out like a spider’s web. Tape and paper off areas where you don’t want glue. Let it tack up before you press the fabric to the foam. You might throw the gun away afterward as clean up is a pain. I’ve kept the gun in a large zip lock bag for short time storage.
mepstein
I would have made a huge mess if I used a gun.
Also, don’t use the Weldwood in the house. The fumes are very strong.
shag
Thanks again to mepsein, and PanelBilly, you guys have been a lot of help. I have just ordered a new handle for my seat from 914 Rubber. It just bolts on, after I drill a couple of holes.
Thanks again,
John
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 29 2020, 01:13 PM) *

I would have made a huge mess if I used a gun.
Also, don’t use the Weldwood in the house. The fumes are very strong.

And explosive! My uncle lost a house from contractors using that stuff and not shutting off the pilot light on the furnace. That said, I like Weldwood over 3M (which is equally nasty and flammable). I use both spray and brush on. I spray the fabric and brush onto hard surfaces. It's just more economical that way. If you brush it onto the fabric, don't overdo it in a single coat. The solvents in the adhesive will soften and even melt the vinyl if enough soaks through the backing. There is a great thread either in the classics or the technical articles found under the "914 info" link in the top right corner of this forum.

Good luck!
Mikey914
Seat materials are still on sale

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/b...laid-seat-sale/

Also got these If you break it I will replace if for free!
shag
Thank you all very much, I had no idea that so many people would respond so quickly with so much useful information. I do have a question, how do I get a small bolt out of the rail that has been over tightened or just corroded into place? I have already rounded out the hex inside the bolt, tried using vice grips and other various ways but to no avail. Thanks again for all the helpful information,

John
mepstein
QUOTE(shag @ Mar 29 2020, 07:14 PM) *

Thank you all very much, I had no idea that so many people would respond so quickly with so much useful information. I do have a question, how do I get a small bolt out of the rail that has been over tightened or just corroded into place? I have already rounded out the hex inside the bolt, tried using vice grips and other various ways but to no avail. Thanks again for all the helpful information,

John

you can try penetrating oil but I just drill them out and then use vise grips on the stub.
shag
Sounds like a good plan to me. Tomorrow I will try that. I would also like to respond to Mikey at 914rubber to say I have already purchased one.
Thanks again,
John
Mikey914
When you drill out use a left handed bit. If you’ve soaked it in penetrating oil, the problem may take care of itself.
Mikey914
PS thanks for the biz
shag
Thanks again for all the information mepstein and Mike914. You guys have been a wealth of information. I have a box of ezouts not sure if I have one small enough. If not I will buy one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.