Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with Engine Noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andre914
I have just finished a complete overhaul of the fuel injected 1.8 liter engine from my 1974 914. I reused the pistons, honed the cylinders, and installed all new rings, bearings, gaskets, and seals. All fits and clearances are within factory limits. The engine is reinstalled and I have set the dwell, timing, and valve clearances. It is running very well except for one thing.

I now have clatter (or a slight mechanical rattle) that ONLY occurs between 2000 and 3000 R.P.M. during deceleration. If I apply any amount of throttle the noise goes away. I have combed the entire engine compartment and undercarriage for sources. Other than the torsion bars for the engine lid and rear trunk lid, which now have rubber hose insulators installed, I can not find anything else moving or hitting other parts.

If anyone has a suggestion I would be very grateful.
Jake Raby
Yep... Sounds like a slightly worn lifter bore OR you have wiped the thust on the #3 cam bearing.

Did you double thrust thecam? Were your cam bearings brazilian or German?

I'll almost bet the noise is the thrust- Btewen 2-3K the cam is at the poin where it is needing thrust control the most.

I have been down this road several times.
John
Did you double thrust thecam?

Jake,

Would you please explain? Is this something that you typically do?

I would like to know more.

Thanks,

John
Andre914
Jake,
Thanks for your reply.

The bearings were the standard German replacements received from Pelican Parts. Thrust is only taken up by one half of the bearing. The cam shaft end play was only .002" or .003" before I mated the cases. Do you think this would be enough to make this noise?
I did not replace or regrind either the cam or the lifters this time. Haven't run it enough to wear the thrust surface out yet have I ?
Jake Raby
That means either buying a double thrust cam bearing set (from my store) or buying two sets of stock bearings and removing the thrust bearing from one set to create a "Double thrust" for the #3 cam journal.

This decreases the chances of a bad thrust necessitating a tear down by 1/2....

Were your bearings German or Brazilian?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.