Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rubber seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
I don't know where to get the best deal on rubber seals that fit well.
Everyone except AA can chime in.

(I dont want to pay new prices for used junk parts - AA screwed me on a seat belt buckle last time I sent them money.)

Thanks in advance.
tat2dphreak
I think all the major vendors have them.. they ain't cheap though... pelican, performance, tweeks... of those, Pelican is the one I try to do business with first... they have always done me right! a couple of scattered parts they have wonky prices on, but other than that... they are good people and I give them my business anytime I can...

that said,

believe it or not, I think this is one area that AA has a good deal... if you want ALL the seals they have repros of all of them in a full kit IIRC... about 1k blink.gif
Doug Leggins
I reccomend GPR! Likely to have everything that you will need and at better prices.

When buying seals be aware that some reproductions have different profiles. They may work just fine but they will have a different look. If you want original or original style be sure to specify so. Original/original style may cost a bit more.
914werke
I recently inquired about this topic considering I needed most every seal for the resto of the LE. Performance products lists in thier catalog 2 items: complete kit OE for like $1300, or complet kit repro for like $1100. When asked what that EXACTLY includes no one could answer inteligently. I called Dave over at GPR and he garunteed he could beat those deals by a considerable margin but did not have a complete "KIT" or evan a listing of what he would consider "complete"?
markb
Maybe it's time we all chime in and compile a list of what's needed. I'm sending the 72 out for paint soon, and when I put it back together, I'd like to replace all the rubber. I'll be going thru Dave at GPR, so whatever list we come up with will be passed on to him, so he has it for future reference. I know the early targa top to window seals are different, what else is specific to early/late cars?

Partial, off the top of my head:

Front windshield/targa seal (the big "C" shaped one) (1)
Lower front targa seal (1)
Windwing door seal (2)
Squeegie side window seal (2)
"B" pillar window seal (2)
Targa top seal (From Sammy, of course) (1)
Rear window to body seal (1)
Door seals (the long ones) (2)
Front cowl to fender seal (2)
Front turn signal bucket seal (2)
Side indicator light seal (2)
Rear turn signal lens seal (2)
Fresh air fan blower seal (1)
Front trunk seal (1)
Front trunk bulkhead (?) seal (1)
Rear trunk seal (1)

That's all that jumps right out from my little pea brain. I know there are more, but that's it for now. Feel free to add to the list.

Do we need the engine compartment & fuel line seals, things like that, too?

bondo
Ooh, good idea.. now if we can get a group buy/discount going... smile.gif

I know the late cars (74 and up maybe?) have a plastic grille above the fresh air box. The seal must be different because the grille fits into a channel of the seal. I have a 73, but I've already gotten that grille to add to it.
CptTripps
believe it or not, I think this is one area that AA has a good deal... if you want ALL the seals they have repros of all of them in a full kit IIRC... about 1k

Actually, it's only $600. For the $$, you can't beat it with a stick....

I bought the AA kit...and would buy it again in a heartbeat. The 3 seals that REALLY mattered to me, were OEM. (windshield, "B" pillar window seal, front trunk)

bondo
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jul 6 2005, 11:55 AM)
believe it or not, I think this is one area that AA has a good deal... if you want ALL the seals they have repros of all of them in a full kit IIRC... about 1k

Actually, it's only $600. For the $$, you can't beat it with a stick....

I bought the AA kit...and would buy it again in a heartbeat. The 3 seals that REALLY mattered to me, were OEM. (windshield, "B" pillar window seal, front trunk)

I checked out that kit after you told me about it at the WCC. It doesn't appear to have EVERYTHING, just the most common seals. It is certainly a good deal though, and since GPR now has acess to all AA stuff, perhaps that kit should be the starting point, and then Dave can fill in what's missing.
dflesburg
I agree with seeing what GPR can do. I am all in if others are. We need two things.
First a list of everything we want and
second a list of those who want a set this summer.

AA's kit has: (of the 30 seals listed)

#1 2 vertical roll bar seals
#2 2 Top Side Seals
#5 1 Windshield Frame Seal
#6 1 Front Hood Seal

#9 2 Front T/S Seals
#11 2 Fender Dividers
#13 2 window Squeegees
#14 4 Door Latch Seals
#15 " in above
#18 1 Lid to glass Seal engine lid
#22 1 Rear Trunk Seal
#26 2 Jack Hole Plugs (do we care)
#28 2 Door Frame Seals (INNER?)
#30 2 side marker seals (do we care)

2 Washer Nozzles (not on list of 30)
2 Wiper Caps (not on list of 30)

Whats missing that would be important?

#4 Windshield Lower seal
#10 Front Bulkhead seal
#16 ventwing glass seals
#17 caps for #16
#19 rear trunk seal front
#27 outer door seals
#29 taillight lens seal

william harris
Just make sure you know the difference. Having just replaced every (and I do mean every) seal on my car with OEM seals direct from Porsche (yeah, they ain't cheap) there is a big difference with a lot of the reproduction seals. First, the Porsche seals require no use of adhesive or glue. All of the seals have a metal channel core and this is what holds the seal in place. The reproduction (cheap) seals do not have this and must be glued in place. You get what you pay for. Make sure the seals you buy have the metal channel cores - it makes a big difference. smile.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE (dflesburg @ Jul 7 2005, 07:26 AM)
Whats missing that would be important?  

#4    Windshield Lower seal
#10  Front Bulkhead seal
#16  ventwing glass seals
#17  caps for #16
#19  rear trunk seal front
#27  outer door seals
#29  taillight lens seal

Actually, it does come with...

#19 rear trunk seal front
#27 outer door seals
#29 taillight lens seal

I'm not sure why it's not listed. The kit I bought did incluee these.

Take a look at my Progress Thread (in my sig). I had my car down to BARE METAL and only re-used the following seals.

Inner-Fuzzy Window
Truangular Window

I'm not sure what their numbers are, but those are the only two I needed and didn't have. For the $600, you are still ahead if you need to buy a few leftovers.

I tried to buy the AA kit from GPR and he didn't seem to want to sell it to me. Dave quoted me on all the other seals and gave me a great deal on them, but it wasn't as good of a deal as the AA kit. Dave is a great guy, I just needed to spend money on other things. Again, I have NO regrets on buying this kit.
bd1308
just one taillight lens seal?
eric914
I'd be in for a set if we can get some sort of group buy price and save a few $ smile.gif
MoveQik
Considering that almost every seal I have is marginal at best, I would be in for a group buy as well.
Dr Evil
Talk to Eric Sanders (Partsman). He got me OE seals for a great price.
bd1308
definately worth gettign the OE seal. I like that metal strip that just snaps into where its supposed.
chilli
Do not waste your money on an aftermarket front truck seal, they do not work.

mike
bondo
QUOTE (william harris @ Jul 7 2005, 05:36 AM)
First, the Porsche seals require no use of adhesive or glue.

I thought the front trunk seal was originally glued in place. There isn't much to hold it in place otherwise.
bondo
I may be in on a group buy, but it would depend on my finances at the time.
chilli
The front truck seal is glued in there is NO metal clip holding it in place.
mike driving.gif
redshift
MR2 trunk seals are like $16, and work to replace 914 trunk seals... I don't know what years, or the numbers, just that someone on Pelican used them.

M
bondo
I was looking at JC whitney, and they have many seal profiles available by the foot. Obviously won't work for the funky custom molded ones, but for the rear trunk and in front of the gas tank, there may be one that fits. Anyone explored that route?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.