Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top Secret 914 Project!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
You read it here first! In a Classified, Top Secret build project done by aerospace engineers for a wealthy benefactor, a Merlin V12 race motor was removed from a P-51 race plane and then fitted into the rear of a specially designed and stretched 914 body. The supercharged race engine used in this project had previously been modified to produce over 3000 horse power! This is the same type of engine that powers many of the race planes at the annual Reno Unlimited Airplane Races. Almost every mechanical component in the powerful donor Merlin engine was modified from it's original air race flight configuration. These modifications were needed to allow the huge V12 motor to barely fit into the uniquely prepared, strengthened and lengthened 914 body. Here's a Top Secret, never seen before side picture/diagram of the car:
Click to view attachment
When the 914/Merlin hybrid was finally completed, the car was transported for initial testing, using an enclosed trailer, from it's top secret build location to the Bonneville Salt Flats. The first test runs of the car were to be done at night. Initial night testing was planned so as to reduce the chance of unwanted outsiders catching a glimpse of this revolutionary 914/Merlin monster car before it was ready for public viewing.
There was one small, unanticipated technical problem, however, discovered during the very first test run. Since the mass of the huge engine was greater than the weight of the entire 914 body, when the driver punched the throttle on the initial run, the tremendous torque put out by the massive V12 caused the Merlin engine to stay still, and the lightweight 914's body to rotate around it! The engineers are desperately trying to find a fix...... cheer.gif
Mikey914
This is what you do when money is no object, love the idea, but WOW
Tbrown4x4
If this was posted on any other day than April 1st...………….
mepstein
I think it's Jeffrey's car. He said he made one small modification from stock.
bretth
Oh my god that's ugly. April 1st it is.
rgalla9146
I see additional wheel lugs.
what trans? biggrin.gif
Andyrew
I can beat that.. I just need a bigger turbo... biggrin.gif

Nice April 1 joke. I was just watching some bits on The Beast (Merlin powered). Interesting car with a more interesting owner!
Krieger
lol-2.gif this is the best thing all week!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 1 2020, 10:30 AM) *

what trans? biggrin.gif

Stock 914.... or was it beetle auto stick??
SirAndy
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Apr 1 2020, 01:03 AM) *
You read it here first!

Nice try but the butchered shadow under the car is a dead giveaway.

I'm gonna call her "Photoshop" ...
bye1.gif
stownsen914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 1 2020, 10:30 AM) *

what trans? biggrin.gif

There isn't a trans that can withstand that power/torque, so I heard it's direct drive, sprint car style! Makes those traffic light situations a real biatch!
Spoke
It looks pretty good with the 911 targa roll over bar.
Mikey914
Got me I was still operating in March midset blink.gif
richardL
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 1 2020, 07:39 AM) *

I was just watching some bits on The Beast (Merlin powered). Interesting car with a more interesting owner!

I actually saw that car at Epsom Downs (horse) Race Course when i was a kid - simply astonishing
Jamie
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Apr 1 2020, 12:51 AM) *

If this was posted on any other day than April 1st...………….

Then Jay Leno would be calling to buy it, I bet it will "fly!" WTF.gif
JeffBowlsby
Missed the exhaust ports out the rear quarter panels rolleyes.gif
davep
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Apr 1 2020, 12:03 AM) *

There was one small, unanticipated technical problem, however, discovered during the very first test run. Since the mass of the huge engine was greater than the weight of the entire 914 body, when the driver punched the throttle on the initial run, the tremendous torque put out by the massive V12 caused the Merlin engine to stay still, and the lightweight 914's body to rotate around it!

A fellow I worked for used the V12 engines (Merlin & Packard) in hydrofoil racing some 40 years ago. Flipping the boat was one problem when cracking the throttle too fast. The other outcome was to spin the prop into a ball since the shaft could rotate faster than the tips of the prop. He had a lot of stories to tell about the use of these engines. Warming them up slowly was necessary to keep oil pressure from blowing out weak sections of the case. These engines were not really designed for rebuilding since the expected service life of the engine greatly exceeded the expected life of the airframe; wartime naturally.
oakdalecurtis
“ I actually saw that car at Epsom Downs (horse) Race Course when i was a kid - simply astonishing”
That’s a pretty neat trick since the whole story is a FOMI....
chair.gif
Betty
But I want to BEEEELIEEEEVE! first.gif
windforfun
"The engineers are desperately trying to find a fix."

Very heavy driver or passenger. Either that or add exhaust powered thrusters to prevent body rotation.

Multiple kegs of beer on the passenger side where beer weight is opposite to crankshaft rotational torque vector.
bkrantz
A 914 on salt? Are you crazy?
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 1 2020, 06:07 PM) *

A 914 on salt? Are you crazy?

It supposed to go so fast that it would “float over” the salt....
cali914
looks like a 914 limo
76-914
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 1 2020, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Apr 1 2020, 12:03 AM) *

There was one small, unanticipated technical problem, however, discovered during the very first test run. Since the mass of the huge engine was greater than the weight of the entire 914 body, when the driver punched the throttle on the initial run, the tremendous torque put out by the massive V12 caused the Merlin engine to stay still, and the lightweight 914's body to rotate around it!

A fellow I worked for used the V12 engines (Merlin & Packard) in hydrofoil racing some 40 years ago. Flipping the boat was one problem when cracking the throttle too fast. The other outcome was to spin the prop into a ball since the shaft could rotate faster than the tips of the prop. He had a lot of stories to tell about the use of these engines. Warming them up slowly was necessary to keep oil pressure from blowing out weak sections of the case. These engines were not really designed for rebuilding since the expected service life of the engine greatly exceeded the expected life of the airframe; wartime naturally.

This was true of the P-51's, also. Many a P-51 Jock's were killed on take off. You weren't supposed to apply full power on take off. Hands down, the sexiest sounding engine ever! Next to a Porsche anyways. biggrin.gif
richardL
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Apr 1 2020, 02:54 PM) *

“ I actually saw that car at Epsom Downs (horse) Race Course when i was a kid - simply astonishing”
chair.gif

perhaps if you read the line I quoted - I was referring to 'The Beast' which very much did exist, and still does
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(richardL @ Apr 2 2020, 07:12 AM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Apr 1 2020, 02:54 PM) *

chair.gif

perhaps if you read the line I quoted - I was referring to 'The Beast' which very much did exist, and still does

My apologies richard..... beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
oakdalecurtis
Click to view attachment

But can we fit a 914 body over it!
richardL
Here is The Beast at Epsom Downs Race Course in the '70s:

Click to view attachment
Carbon-14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZIU54WYxw

A new idea, RR V12 into about any, thing.

Click to view attachment
Power to weight. Cp.
Fun and games with Dan Gurney at Bud Moore’s shop in 1966.
Photo shows Dan found a use for one of the leftover 427 SOHC engines.

https://youtu.be/exyzEFrmLuM?t=69

In other news of racer's speed engineering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0rXyMwFMUI
914_7T3
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 1 2020, 05:48 AM) *

I think it's Jeffrey's car. He said he made one small modification from stock.

@mepstein

Just saw this thread and yes, felt that a slight bump in hp was in order. Also thought it would be cool to double up on the number of cylinders that the 6 conversions are running!

The garage extension is almost complete.....

laugh.gif
Beebo Kanelle
Funny, I always saw the Carrera GT as a updated 914, stretched to accommodate the V-10
Carbon-14
More fun and games, exposing a 914-RR12 to the salt.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
An ejection pod might be well considered, auto 3speed transax.
This is rediculous, the radiators mounted far forward, a venturi on the bottom.
There is another, earlier, thread on this mad scratching.

This is not too nutty, Ferrari transax. A 914 + big engine.
+500 hp LS has a top end of 190 - 195, maybe.
https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=56676

happy11.gif
he he

Limousines can go some fast with a V8.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.