Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Led Bulbs for Fog Lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PCH
I know this topic has come up before without a specific LED bulb being mentioned. Are there any plug and play LED bulbs for fog lights? I have searched the internet and not found any. Just making sure I didn't miss anything.

Thank you,
Peter
RolinkHaus
I think the issue is that the LED bulbs will be too long for the fog light casing. I could be wrong.

https://www.topgearautosport.com/part/A128R...lights_Kit.html

I love the LED bulbs in my headlamps.

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
The Hella fog lights on early cars use a unique bulb, no LED replacement. Later 75-76 fog lights and early Euro driving lights use H-1 bulbs. There are H-1 replacements LED for them.
Spoke
This is the only LED solution I know of for the early round foglights. I'll be putting this on my website very soon.
ThinAir
I'd be interested in LED bulbs for the Pilot fog light replacements. I love them, but they draw a lot of power.
911GT2
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 1 2020, 08:34 PM) *

This is the only LED solution I know of for the early round foglights. I'll be putting this on my website very soon.

Were you able to fix the throw on them already? Couldn't find that in the topic. Because over here regulation on lighting are very strict. So the throw must be correct.
silverg
Spoke - Sent an email to order fac fogs and other 914 LEDs
76-914
QUOTE(silverg @ Apr 2 2020, 05:00 AM) *

Yep. Those are on my Christmas list. Jerry is truly an asset to this community. He makes a great product and always responds if there are questions during installation. And more importantly, great service after the sale.
eric9144
Just put a SpokeworksLED set on my car last night, holy cow they're amazing. There is literally no other way you could possibly come close to the amount of light (and more importantly the beam pattern) that they kick out by retrofitting bulbs into the OE Fogs. beerchug.gif
FlacaProductions
@ThinAir - I actually put these in my Pilots and i'm happy with them - unfortunately, they show as "unavailable" but I'm betting that nearly any LED H3 lamp will work. It was a little fiddly getting in there and getting the switch made but it was worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXJAI6...=UTF8&psc=1
eric9144
The problem with most of the H3 LED retrofits are the housings project too far back and won't fit into the fog/driving light anymore.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 2 2020, 12:34 AM) *

agree.gif piratenanner.gif
these are awesome, I was blessed to have Spoke convert mine as one of the first sets during his R&D of the conversion.

very nice, great light, next up: the front and rear turn lights and markers!!!!
PCH
Thanks everyone for your imput. Stay safe everyone so that you can keep enjoying your 914.
mepstein
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 2 2020, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 2 2020, 12:34 AM) *

agree.gif piratenanner.gif
these are awesome, I was blessed to have Spoke convert mine as one of the first sets during his R&D of the conversion.

very nice, great light, next up: the front and rear turn lights and markers!!!!

All of Spoke's/Jerry's lights are well worth the money. beerchug.gif
Brian Fuerbach
I bought the following from Amazon. Even though these are BA20D dual element bulbs I was able to install them into my stock fog lights without any problems. They are much brighter now and not as focused as the pilots.

GENSSI 2x White BA20D H6 Motorcycle ATV Headlight Light Bulbs 12V

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H2W13G...=UTF8&psc=1
Spoke
QUOTE(911GT2 @ Apr 2 2020, 03:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 1 2020, 08:34 PM) *

Were you able to fix the throw on them already? Couldn't find that in the topic. Because over here regulation on lighting are very strict. So the throw must be correct.

There wasn't much I could do given the design of the LEDs and lenses. To get them focused like a beam would take much more physical design of lenses and most likely a deeper cavity. The only solution is to aim the fogs down a few degrees from horizontal. For the 911 LED foglights I sell which are electrically and optically identical to the 914 fogs I aim the lights downward by 7.5 degrees using the mounting clips.
Spoke
QUOTE(silverg @ Apr 2 2020, 08:00 AM) *

Thanks. check your email. @silverg
Spoke
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Apr 2 2020, 01:54 AM) *

I'd be interested in LED bulbs for the Pilot fog light replacements. I love them, but they draw a lot of power.

I would be interested in making LED foglights for the Pilots but I don't know anything about the fixtures. Can the fixtures be opened up? Are they about the same size as the 914 foglight fixtures?
dangrouche
I scoured the market for single contact bulb, and they do not exist. I dreamed up an inexpensive mod since I have a pair of OEM bulbs looking for some modifications so I desoldered them (OEM BA20S). I ordered a set of BA20D bulbs from eBay and will disassemble those to fit the OEM fog bulb socket. More to follow whenever I get the eBay bulbs. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-H6-BA20D-DC-9V-85V-12W-White-COB-LED-Motorcycle-Hi-Lo-Beam-Headlight-Bulb-Hot/114109146891?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649)Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Mikey914
Hate to say it, But sounds like a lot of work for minimal return. I have some circuit boards that use a base like you are trying to do. Commercially available, just not anywhere near bright enough.

Brian Fuerbach
Direct fit, work great.

GENSSI 2x White BA20D H6 Motorcycle ATV Headlight Light Bulbs 12V

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H2W13G...=UTF8&psc=1
Spoke
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Apr 3 2020, 01:18 PM) *

I scoured the market for single contact bulb, and they do not exist. I dreamed up an inexpensive mod since I have a pair of OEM bulbs looking for some modifications so I desoldered them (OEM BA20S). I ordered a set of BA20D bulbs from eBay and will disassemble those to fit the OEM fog bulb socket. More to follow whenever I get the eBay bulbs. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-H6-BA20D-DC-9V-85V-12W-White-COB-LED-Motorcycle-Hi-Lo-Beam-Headlight-Bulb-Hot/114109146891?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649)Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

It would be desirable to use the LED bulb as is if possible. Electrically you may be able to power both low and high settings by bridging both buttons together with solder or solder and a wire the powering both at the same time. If you did that with the LEDs I make then they would just light up brightly with no issues.

The only issue you might have is if the tabs on the side are at different heights. They do that with dual button bulbs so they are not installed backwards.

That LED bulb looks like it might be bonded to the base as they probably use the base metal as part of the heatsink.
dangrouche
Thanks Spoke and Mikey, my intended purpose is illumination as a daytime running light. Projection as as a traditional fog light is not what I was looking for. Just something that is visible during daytime as I rarely drive this car at night.
ThinAir
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 2 2020, 03:13 PM) *

I would be interested in making LED foglights for the Pilots but I don't know anything about the fixtures. Can the fixtures be opened up? Are they about the same size as the 914 foglight fixtures?

I'll check them in the next couple of days and let you know. I'd be happy to send one to you so you can figure out how to make them.
eric9144
I have BA20S LED's in my 2L, while they are exceedingly hard to find, they're really only good for daytime running lights as the light "spread" from them is pretty bad--when you have the incandescents in, note that the reflector forces a focused horizontal beam (ideal for lighting in fog), the LED seems to bypass the lens focus (same problem as most LED swaps) and the light casts wildly out without focus. While this is great for that LED 'look' and is great for daytime visibility, its not so usable at night as the light is probably going to be a problem for oncoming drivers.
Spoke
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Apr 6 2020, 01:20 AM) *

I'll check them in the next couple of days and let you know. I'd be happy to send one to you so you can figure out how to make them.

@ThinAir

If they open up I'd be glad to take a look at them and see if I can fit everything in. If I am successful in making a drop-in LED board, I'll give you a set for free for helping out.
ThinAir
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 6 2020, 01:18 PM) *

QUOTE(ThinAir @ Apr 6 2020, 01:20 AM) *

@ThinAir

If they open up I'd be glad to take a look at them and see if I can fit everything in. If I am successful in making a drop-in LED board, I'll give you a set for free for helping out.

They do indeed open up. PM sent.
FlacaProductions
Yup - they open right up with one screw holding a band around the lens. Here's another pic to show scale relative to the stock grilles. The lenses are marked TOP.

You can see the clamp in this shot at the bottom of the fixture.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Interesting that the glass lens has no fluting. Probably better as the LEDs have enough light dispersal w/o the extra dispersal of the fluting.
Spoke
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Apr 14 2020, 09:39 PM) *

Yup - they open right up with one screw holding a band around the lens. Here's another pic to show scale relative to the stock grilles. The lenses are marked TOP.

Click to view attachment

@FlacaProductions
@ThinAir

I have Ernie's pilot fog light with me now. I guess I should have been a bit clearer about opening up the fixture. I can't seem to get the metal reflector apart from the glass lens. Do these 2 items come apart? I don't want to put too much pressure on the glass lens or use a screwdriver to pry them apart.

I can't tell if they are bonded or the gasket is old, brittle, and stuck on.
ThinAir
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 18 2020, 07:59 PM) *

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Apr 14 2020, 09:39 PM) *

@FlacaProductions
@ThinAir

I have Ernie's pilot fog light with me now. I guess I should have been a bit clearer about opening up the fixture. I can't seem to get the metal reflector apart from the glass lens. Do these 2 items come apart? I don't want to put too much pressure on the glass lens or use a screwdriver to pry them apart.

I can't tell if they are bonded or the gasket is old, brittle, and stuck on.

That light has been on my car for about 10 years. I've never opened it up so I don't know about the internal construction. Is there glass between the outer "lens" and the bulb? If so then I would think it is just stuck in place from age since it would need to be removed to change the bulb. I'm thinking that a razor to cut through the seal would be what I would try. I would think it could be resealed.
Spoke
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Apr 19 2020, 12:03 AM) *

That light has been on my car for about 10 years. I've never opened it up so I don't know about the internal construction. Is there glass between the outer "lens" and the bulb? If so then I would think it is just stuck in place from age since it would need to be removed to change the bulb. I'm thinking that a razor to cut through the seal would be what I would try. I would think it could be resealed.

There are 4 parts to the Pilot fog light:
1) The rear support enclosure.
2) The ring holding the glass lens and metal reflector to the support enclosure.
3) The glass lens
4) the metal reflector and bulb holder/socket.

The glass lens and metal reflector are sealed with something that i can't get apart. The metal reflector has a lip that keeps the glass lens in place thus a razor knife cannot be inserted to cut whatever is holding the lens and reflector together.

I don't feel comfortable using a screwdriver or other utensil to try to pry the 2 apart. I'd rather you try to take apart the one you have they tell me how to separate the 2. I don't want to break your fog light.

I've encountered a foglight from a 911 where the glass lens and reflector seemed to be bonded together. I had to bail on trying to separate them.
FlacaProductions
That's interesting @Spoke - I'm pretty darned sure that the glass and the metal reflector should separate because this is the only way I accessed lamps when I changed them. They were still mounted in the car and I did it all from the front by just removing the metal band...releasing the glass.

YMMV but I appreciate your care of other people's stuff but I'm betting it's just fused in there after years of exposure to the elements.....
ThinAir
I won't be able to check my other light until later this week. I'll let you know what I learn.
Spoke
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Apr 19 2020, 01:01 PM) *

That's interesting @Spoke - I'm pretty darned sure that the glass and the metal reflector should separate because this is the only way I accessed lamps when I changed them. They were still mounted in the car and I did it all from the front by just removing the metal band...releasing the glass.

YMMV but I appreciate your care of other people's stuff but I'm betting it's just fused in there after years of exposure to the elements.....

@FlacaProductions

Thanks, good to know you were able to get inside one of these Pilot foglights.

Seems like a trend of not being able to open foglights.

Here's one from @Lg914 that appears to have some sort of glue or something holding the lens and reflector together. That little bit of glue/paste/RTV showing is hard as a rock. I've tried scraping it and cutting it to no avail. Not sure what to do with this stuff. I wonder if acetone would attack this stuff and not damage the reflector.

FlacaProductions
wonder if this is a result of people trying to seal them up in the past after maybe getting moisture in there or something? strange...
eric9144
@Spoke those are interesting--those look like the guts to the "5 bolt" (euro) driving lights vs the US Fogs--that rear bulb housing takes an H3 straight from the back vs the Fog that takes an incandescent up from the bottom. The lenses on those weren't fluted like the US fogs but were seemingly glued like a sealed beam. There's an oven method to separate them though I've never personally tried.
Spoke
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Apr 19 2020, 11:39 PM) *

@Spoke those are interesting--those look like the guts to the "5 bolt" (euro) driving lights vs the US Fogs--that rear bulb housing takes an H3 straight from the back vs the Fog that takes an incandescent up from the bottom. The lenses on those weren't fluted like the US fogs but were seemingly glued like a sealed beam. There's an oven method to separate them though I've never personally tried.

@eric9144

Thanks. The lens does appear to be bonded to the reflector. The white glue/epoxy seems professionally applied as it is very neatly done. The glue is hard as a rock. I can't chip it or slice it off.

The lens is larger than the standard 914 foglight lens and the bezel inside diameter is larger as well. The outer diameter is identical and the lens/bezel/reflector fits in the rear fixture. Notice how much thinner the H3 bezel on the right is compared to a standard 914 foglight bezel. The glass lens shown is a later 914 lens and just falls right into the H3 bezel.

Even the clips shown in an earlier post are different from the standard 914 clips (and 914rubber clips).

ThinAir
Hey Spoke - You are right about the lens being bonded to the reflector. I worked on my other light for quite awhile this morning and could never separate the two. It is some kind of silicone. I dug at it with a "dental probe", but could never get enough of it out to remove the lens.

It appears that if you need to change the bulb, you remove the screw on the back of the reflector and pull out the bulb assembly. Any LED solution that you come up with would have to go in the back in the same way.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
You know what....i humbly apologize. This is what happens when you rely on memory and can't walk out to the garage to confirm what turns out to be an incorrect memory.

@ThinAir is correct - you undo the band to separate the fixture and replace the bulb from the rear. You do NOT separate the lens from the front of body....

Again - so sorry to chime in with bad info. Not cool.
dangrouche
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Apr 3 2020, 06:53 PM) *

Thanks Spoke and Mikey, my intended purpose is illumination as a daytime running light. Projection as as a traditional fog light is not what I was looking for. Just something that is visible during daytime as I rarely drive this car at night.

Finally got the bulbs from eBay/China (took 2 months) and basically gutted the dual pole LED bulb and attached the assembly onto an OEM single pole fog bulb socket; this install does nothing to modify your existing wiring. You'll need to A) desolder the bases of the new and OEM bulbs B) drill out the crimp points of the new LED bulb to relieve the tension and separate the base from the LED assembly C) after disassembly, you will find three leads (ground, high & low beam), which controls low beam and high beam. The high beam illuminates both sides of the LED bulb. You'll be dealing with about 10mm of wire that comes off of the LED circuit board and will need to navigated into the two holes of the single pole bulb's base D) file the LED bulb's aluminum frame to get a press fit of the LED assembly onto the single pole socket E) I took in account Spoke's mention of tabs of the OEM bulb and this helped in my alignment process. If you look at the picture of the bulbs (basically BEFORE disassembly and AFTER assembly onto a single socket) you will see how the tabs need to align in the finished product F) disassemble the fog light lens assembly and remove the OEM metal fog bulb diffuser These Chinese LED bulbs cost $7.80 for the pair. There were essentially BA20D bulbs. The time to fabricate these single pole LED bulbs was about an hour for the set. YMMV depending on your soldering skills with a pencil tip soldering iron. This project is my third try at this since it has been ongoing for me since 2014 (topic #230504) and I am finally satisfied with the result. As I cited earlier to Spoke, the conversion is not to be used as a fog light, rather its a Daytime Running Light. I also did the light switch mod which converts the fog light switch as an on-off switch whenever the ignition is on. The resulting light pattern seen by someone's rear view mirror is sort of a figure 8 pattern because the bulb projects to left and right of the reflector. I will update this post with a night time view of the light projection onto the garage door.
VaccaRabite
What was the final verdict on the PILOT driving lights? Is it possible to convert them to LED? @spoke

Thanks!
Zach
Spoke
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jun 12 2020, 11:54 PM) *

What was the final verdict on the PILOT driving lights? Is it possible to convert them to LED? @spoke

Thanks!
Zach

@VaccaRabite

The Pilot lights seem to have the glass lens and reflector bonded. I couldn't separate the 2 and didn't want to damage anything so I gave up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.