Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pushrod tube seal replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
alright alright how does this work. I *KNOW* i can change them if the rockers are off, but on my actual working engine they will be on. How do i change these?

and yes i know about the PP article.

i want to know how real people do these....
Dave_Darling
Real people change the pushrod tube seals by removing the rocker arms first. It isn't hard...

--DD
gklinger
real people remove the rockers...
bd1308
holy cow....and that doesnt disturb the valve adjudtment stuff

cause i still am not quite clear about the valve adjust ment....i cant see right bank if i'm on the left side?

MattR
Just readjust the valves...

Make sure when you're putting the rockers back on you orient them correctly. They are held on with two C shaped mounts that are NOT symmetrical.
solex
On my Type I engines I removed the head and added some aviation gasket to the surfaces of the push rod seals (The head and case side). This assumes the engine is out of the car.

Never had a leak from the push rods again. Not sure if this procedure is applicable to the Type IV, maybe some one can chime in.

Dan
nebreitling
figure out the "mysteries of the valvetrain" before you go digging. yes, you'll need to readjust your valves afterwards. read the PP article a dozen times, you'll be fine.

oh -- and use jackstands when you're under the car.
jasons
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 6 2005, 11:17 AM)
holy cow....and that doesnt disturb the valve adjudtment stuff

cause i still am not quite clear about the valve adjust ment....i cant see right bank if i'm on the left side?

Yeah, you will have to do a valve adjustment after you take the rockers off. Its a good time to learn. As stated previously.... You also have to be aware of the orientation of the rocker shaft blocks. Its easy to put them in backwards and they are not of uniform thickness. Also, if you want to get a couple of the pushrod tubes out, you may have to lower the engine a few inches. I had to mine were damaged
914ghost
You DO actually have to lower the engine to get a couple of the tubes out all the way.
One little tip someone gave me is that you can slide the tube out of it's position and remove the seals from each end without actually taking the tube all the way out.
I'd rather take it all the way out and clean it well, but seems like it'd be an option.
Mueller
you must have one of the worst memories than anyone I know smile.gif

Britt asking how to change pushrod tube seals
bd1308
ok...i'll whistle for Quail Man....he'll help me.
Gary#
The REAL problem is the PUSHRODS. If you can remove the pushrods without removing the rockers, you really do need a valve adjustment - big time. unsure.gif
-----
When you DO remove the rockers, lay everything out exactly as it came apart. Put it back together exactly the same way & your valve adjustment should not change.
Torque the nuts to 10 foot pounds.
Gud Luck
givemebeer.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (914ghost @ Jul 6 2005, 12:30 PM)
You DO actually have to lower the engine to get a couple of the tubes out all the way.

No you don't........I've done this repair with motor fully in the car a few times....
tat2dphreak
pull the rockers, re-adjust after... not hard, man! not hard at all
Jake Raby
My sealant handbook will go over this procedure step by step. I have already written this section of the handbook and I think it came out the best of any other part.

I should have the handbook published by the end of the month.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Jul 6 2005, 11:38 AM)
My sealant handbook will go over this procedure step by step. I have already written this section of the handbook and I think it came out the best of any other part.

I should have the handbook published by the end of the month.

Don't matter. it's been written here several times. Works really well BTW. Maybe there should be a search of the subject before getting us all through the wringer again.

Britt I have all that tube sealed valve adjustment stuff done to the motor you want to get. Just get down here and get it.
bd1308
just gotta get some gas $$$...meaning i have to get paid. sell my PC or something
Jake Raby
I know it has been explained here a few dozen times, because I have done it most of those times myself.

Most of the other tricks about sealing the engine have not though.
tat2dphreak
jeez, can we take up a collection to get this poor kid some gas money to get down there to get that engine? rolleyes.gif laugh.gif pass the plate around or something?!
bd1308
okay. was just thinking out loud. sorry.
Part Pricer
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 6 2005, 03:52 PM)
jeez, can we take up a collection to get this poor kid some gas money to get down there to get that engine? rolleyes.gif laugh.gif pass the plate around or something?!

How about if we just have someone steal his keyboard(s) so we won't have to put up with this anymore? blink.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ Jul 6 2005, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 6 2005, 03:52 PM)
jeez, can we take up a collection to get this poor kid some gas money to get down there to get that engine?  :rolleyes:  :lol: pass the plate around or something?!

How about if we just have someone steal his keyboard(s) so we won't have to put up with this anymore? blink.gif

I keep thinking he'll discover Pr0n on the net, and ruin the keyboard himself... laugh.gif
bondo
Valve adjustments are a routine maintenance item on 914s. You NEED to do it, pushrod tube seals or not. Just be glad the heads don't have to come off to change pushrod tube seals on a type IV. If you don't want to adjust valves, replace the engine with something that has hydraulic lifters. (late bus, subie, v8, etc.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.