Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Announcing new Forum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
Ladies and Gentlemen and Brad!!

I am announcing a new forum: Classic Message Threads.

This is the place where we can move an entire thread that has gained "classic" status - for example, the debate over Brake Upgrades? Why? This is a closed forum - READ ONLY. So threads should basically be "talked out" or "dead" before moving them over.

I have several ideas for threads that fit this description, but would like to hear nominations for "classic" status.

Please note, when we move the threads, the Admin team will do some editing to keep the content basically on-topic.

-Rusty smoke.gif
seanery
I like the idea of a Classic status. But I hate the idea of a closed forum.

my 2 cents
Part Pricer
I love the idea of a closed forum. Purely for reference only.
silver six
Rusty,

This is a great idea. Not only does it avoid repeating the same conversation about rust in the battery tray ad naseum it collects important conversations for future reference. It's like an ever growing encylopedia of 914 knowledge. And it won't get lost in the quickly moving sands of this BBS. The "read only" aspect is good.

Douglas
airsix
Ok, this is great and all, but why move the brake thread now, while it is still an active topic? People are still discussing, but now we've been stopped short (no pun intended). mad.gif I like the idea, but do it to threads once they're dead.

-Ben M.
Qarl
Yes... I think it's a little too early to "put the brakes" on this thread.... har har!

Here is another suggestion... or maybe this can be incorporated into this new forum...

but a FAQ forum....

You know, where we can put threads to the questions that a newbie asks when they join that have already been discussed over and over again...

Like....

Should I switch from fuel Injection to carbs....

Should I upgrade my Master Cylinder

Anyone know why my brake warning light is on after I bled my brakes.

How big of a tire can I fit without flares...

How can I get 150 hp out of my 1.7?

How much does it cost to convert to a six cylinder?

etc.
KaptKaos
This would also be a good place to post tech articles & how-tos.

- Joe
-P-
This is a cool idea, but people can use the search. I believe there is a FAQ addon for this forum software. If not, it wouldn't be hard to add. Given the dedication of the people on the board it could be maintaned properly.
Qarl
-P-

You're sort of right.

People SHOULD use the search feature... but most don't or don't know how. Especially if they are new.

Chances are that if they don't search, then they won't look in the FAQ forum either... but maybe they would.
drew365
Once the Classic Thread Forum gets large enough members will have to do a search to find what they're looking for so it will kind of be redundant. Either way I think it was too early to close the brake thread. I just tried to post to it and I'm sure it would have been my best post yet. smilie_pokal.gif
seanery
agree.gif
Bleyseng
agree.gif too, I had a great post all worked up!

Geoff
Joe Bob
Just don't include the hairy butt pics from some barf.gif guy.....
Jeroen
Hey Lawrence,

Thanks for adding this forum.
Like I told you, I think it's a great idea.
But why not leave the threads open?

cheers,

Jeroen
Lawrence
Okay... I'll open the brake thread and move it back. No problem.

The idea about the closed forum is because most threads eventually wander off course into some tangent, or a bunch of "me toos".

A forum of Classic Threads *shouldn't* be that large, nor need sifting through. Selection of Classic Threads is going to be fairly picky.

Eventually, I was thinking that Mike Ginter's restoration thread, purged of off-topic chatter, would be a GREAT one.

-Rusty smoke.gif
mightyohm
Maybe you could COPY the threads over instead of moving them, and close the new copies?

Is that even possible?
Lawrence
I've been through the oldest 20 pages of the BBS threads, and have selected a few for "classic status".

Can someone go over there and tell me if I'm picking the right threads?

I'd like to find a good one about tires, but the current favorite flavor seems to change every six months or so. A D-I-Y alignment thread might be nice, too.

-Rusty

P.S. Yes, I know there's a lot of /6 conversion info moved into the Classic Area, but we get lots of questions on that.
Lawrence
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jul 18 2003, 10:53 PM)
Maybe you could COPY the threads over instead of moving them, and close the new copies?

Is that even possible?

I looked, and couldn't find a way to make that happen with this software.

But hopefully some folks will come to a consensus on what should and shouldn't be in the Classic section, and it'll be relatively small.
Jeroen
I just opened a new thread and 'nailed' it, so people can make suggestions for threads they'd like to see added/moved to the 'classic threads forum'

cheers,

Jeroen
Lawrence
Sounds good to me. I'm done reviewing pages 82-55 of the threads.

-Rusty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.