Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting Again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ross
Docudrama Part 2
The following is what I wrote last week. Thank you all for your comments and advice.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=344456

But… now I have found a few more things going on and wanted to get your advice… again:

1. I got in the car and (as expected) it didn’t start. So, I popped the clutch and took off to my repair guy with my son.
2. We had almost no gas so we needed to shut it off and gassed up
3. When I turned the key to start the car, the “red” light came on for the first time since I can remember. I believe this light identifies alternator or electrical issues. Additionally, the fuel gage wasn’t working. With his help, we popped the clutch again and took off
4. I took the car to our Toyota machinic who is extremely competent, has always loved 914s since he was a kid and is very trustworthy. (My intention was for us to test the yellow wire at the starter to verify that the ignition switch was passing a charge)
5. When I got there, we got the car on the lift and shut it off. When I went to start it, it didn’t work as usual. Then I went to try it again and it started perfectly. Note - We never checked the yellow wire after the car started.
6. He then tested the battery strength and found it was in the 12.x volt range… then after he looked up the proper voltage, he asked me to rev the engine. I did and all of a sudden, the voltage was in the 13.x. It remained there for a while… then returned to the 12.x range.
7. His thoughts were possibly problems with the voltage regulator and maybe the alternator. I ask him if this could be related to all of the starter issues I have had and he said possibly.
8. When I got home, I found that the fuse that went to the fuel gauge was blown. I replaced it, turned the key to “on” and the fuse blew again. The red-light no longer comers on.
9. I tried starting it and it started. However, I’m thinking that the battery got an extra dose of charging from the drive home. I shut the car off without driving it.
10. This evening I tried it again and it didn’t start. I believe the starter clicks, but doesn't start.

Based on the red light coming on… fuses blowing (and continuing to blow); can I eliminate the ignition switch being bad and start focusing on the voltage regulator/alternator and battery?
Any other thoughts on the whole “adventure”?

Thanks very much as always,
Spoke
If you think the battery is dying such that it won't start sometimes, measure the voltage at the battery when you turn the key and it won't start. This will take 2 people to do; one to turn the ignition key and the other to read the battery voltage.

During cranking, if the battery voltage drops to 6, 7, 8V then the battery is weak. If the battery remains around 12V then something else is at issue; not the battery.

When you have a situation you describe: no start; no start; no start; Start; no start; it doesn't sound like the battery but some other electrical issue like the ignition switch, the starter, or wiring.
Ross
Thanks Spoke, I'll give it a try. How far is Allentown from Charlotte? smile.gif
framos914
Just a thought. If you put 12v directly on the yellow wire at the starter wouldn't that activate the starter? And if it cranks every time that means the starter is good.
Did you actually get to the point of checking for power at terminal 50 of starter (yellow wire) while someone turned key?
When terminal 50 receives voltage from switch It closes contacts that pass 12v at terminal 30 (battery connection) to starter motor.
rjames
Get yourself a digital multimeter. You can get them cheap and it will allow you to troubleshoot this and other electrical issues that as an old car owner you will likely face. It will also be cheaper than taking it to a mechanic.

Ross
thank you very much - i will try these options
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.