Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911/930 steering wheel on a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
double-a
i've been wanting to install a late-80s vintage 911/930 steering wheel on my 914, but can't find any info on 1: whether it's possible (easily), or 2: if there's any kind of adapter.

anyone done this? any info appreciated, thanks.

~a
seanery
doable, not too hard at all. I used to have a write up on one of my web pages, but it's gone. If I can find the pics I'll post 'em that will help a bit.
Cap'n Krusty
Should be a bolt on, but you may find the wheel too close to you for comfort, due to the depth. The Cap'n
TimT
There was a change in the splines of 911's steering columns in the early 70's

at some point the splines on the steering shaft changed from fine to coarse, or coarse to fine..

Its been a few years but Ive been through this exercise on a 911,

I dont know if the 914 followed the 914 model in all these idiosyncrasies, but Im thinking they did

The car in your sig is a later 914, so you may have lucked out..
double-a
QUOTE (seanery @ Jul 6 2005, 03:27 PM)
doable, not too hard at all. I used to have a write up on one of my web pages, but it's gone. If I can find the pics I'll post 'em that will help a bit.

that would be sweet, let me know if you find it. i've got a momo on there now, and i'm just tired of not being able to see my gauges. wheel is too small i guess.

yo cap'n, how much farther back does it sit anyway?

~a
Jeroen
the splines are not a problem, the offset of the 911 hub is
Kargeek
I've done it. I had to cut down the length of the hub of the 911 wheel, cut down the back of the plastic 911 hub cover and then attach the plastic hub cover and horn contact ring off the 914 wheel. It turns out the three screw holes in the 914 piece line up with 3 holes in the 911 wheel. The diameter of both the 911 and 914 parts were also the same. All said and done the wheel sticks out an additional .75 or so closer to you- no big deal. The horn works too.

There’s an interior shot of my car in my web link:
My Webpage
double-a
here's a pic of the wheel in question. if the splines are the same, it looks like it would just go on...

~a
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (double-a @ Jul 6 2005, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (seanery @ Jul 6 2005, 03:27 PM)

that would be sweet, let me know if you find it. i've got a momo on there now, and i'm just tired of not being able to see my gauges. wheel is too small i guess.

yo cap'n, how much farther back does it sit anyway?

~a

4 to 6 inches, as I recall. If you're switching from a Momo, might be similar. The Cap'n
jim912928
I've done it. I put a 911SC steering wheel on. As mentioned above..i cut down the end cap to fill the opening because the offset is different. Looks stock and the wheel sits out alittle further which I like alot better. Took me about 30 minutes to do everything.
double-a
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Jul 6 2005, 08:13 PM)
I've done it. I put a 911SC steering wheel on. As mentioned above..i cut down the end cap to fill the opening because the offset is different. Looks stock and the wheel sits out alittle further which I like alot better. Took me about 30 minutes to do everything.

i'm confused as to what an "end cap" is and how i should cut it down. the pic of the wheel that i attached above is the one i'm considering putting in, i think it's from an '88 930.

~a
anthony
If you were going to go with a 930S wheel, I'd try bolting it to the momo hub for the 914.

user posted image

double-a
well take a look at the pic of the wheel that i posted above, it's a totally different one than the three-spoke designs.

~a
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.