Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tranny wont engage now
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
ok, got a 1.8 engine, open up old engine, clutch needed replacement...replaced clutch, connected old tranny with new engine. get everything back in, and go to put it in first....it wont engage headbang.gif tried adjuting the clutch cable, still nothing. What happened here??? i replaced the shift rob bushings, but i dont think that would be doing it.... please help. am i going to have to pull the trans back out??? I wanted to drive this to our new house... sad.gif i guess i wont be now....
scotty914
check to make sure the clutch is disengaging. you might have to shim the fork pivot. try disconnection the clutch cable and she how much throw there is on the fork. you might have to tighten the cable some more

oh dont forget to try to rotate both drive shafts to get the shafts in the tranny to rotate so the tranny can line up
grasshopper
ok, the clutch disengages, but....you have to remember, im a kid and im stupid...where is the fork pivot? inside the tranny? thanks
bondo
with the engine off you should be able to shift into all gears. (as long as it's not on a slope, in gear, and being held in place by being in gear) If it shifts fine with the engine off but not when running, it's a clutch problem. If it won't shift with the engine off it is a linkage problem. The shift rod bushings could do it if it was adjusted for worn bushings before. Also, the forward end of the shift rod, where it attaches to the rest of the shifter (in the center tunnel) is an adjustment, and it's pretty critical. Red-beard or Dr. evil posted a pretty good guide on getting it right.

Oh, and the fork pivot is on the front of the trans. It's the ball the clutch fork rests on.
Just went thru this with my tranny. New clutch, pressure plate, shifting bushings, etc. Would not go into 1st. Got out the Haynes Manual and tried their method for adjusting the shift rod. Also got the info on the Pelican Tech Site. I then had 1st but no 4th-5th. Took it to the pros at the Porsche shop and they adjusted it in a matter of minutes just cause they knew how to do it. Tranny shifts perfect now. Just was the simple rod adjustment that I did not have the right "touch" to get it right.
Good luck.
scotty914
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Jul 6 2005, 03:26 PM)
ok, the clutch disengages, but....you have to remember, im a kid and im stupid...where is the fork pivot? inside the tranny? thanks

roll the car a foot or so, the tranny might be lined up so it cant go in to gear. the dog teeth might be hitting the slider just perfect to not allow it to go in to gear. best way to check that is to roll the car or start the engine and let the clutch out then put the clutch in and try to shift.

but i guess because i need to come over to confirm the fi stuff before you try to start it you have to roll it
grasshopper
thanks, ill try the adjustments, and ill see if rolling it forword, and trying it then works. thanks again. oh yea, anyone got a link to the adjustment threads that you guys are talking about..... I just broke the started case today too.... headbang.gif this car seems to have a mind of its own.... it doesnt want to run again... wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.