Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How the heck are these inserted?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
OK, I got one in, will have a bit of work to do to straighten it....obviously, I am doing this wrong.

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
Steve
I boil them in water and then they pop right in
DucRS
Hah, I just installed these lil suckers last week.
The trick is to dip one at a time in hot water, making them pliable, then pressing them in with clamps. I also used a mallet with one swift smack and worked great for me.
dangrouche
for that one you already have inserted; go ahead and boil a pot of water, remove the pot from the stove, and drop that partially assembled unit into the hot water bath for 2-3 minutes. that distorted cup should "heal" back to original state. get a pair of tongs and remove the assembly from the hot water bath.

to install the other cup (remember the other cup opening faces opposite direction)

reheat the water again, drop the other cup into the water, remove from the hot water and while wearing a pair of thick gloves (not surgical rubber/latex) and with the heel of your gloved hand, press the cup with the heel of your hand, or use a metal object and press it on. you can use liquid soap or axle grease as lube.
Tdskip
Good tips gentlemen
porschetub
Used a large "G" clamp with a little never seize these buggers are a tight fit.
Mine were in the links already so the hot water solution is the best to fit on the thru bolt.
ctc911ctc
HOT WATER, of course!

I tried the heat gun - perhaps too hot (not showing that picture), will post the success shots.

THANK YOU TEENERS
pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
StarBear
Just in time - to start looking at doing the same this weekend.
ctc911ctc
grin!

QUOTE(StarBear @ Apr 9 2020, 08:18 AM) *

Just in time - to start looking at doing the same this weekend.

dcheek
I'm glad someone else has had a problem with these. I thought it was my lack of mechanical skills!

Dave
Mikey914
Yes they are a pain to install, but the hot water is the method.
Garland
This will so work, everything in place, and squeeze!

Click to view attachment
Highland
I used a vice to maintain constant pressure while tucking the edges of the bushing into the link with a plastic tool; and lots of hand soap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.