Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT fuel cap template
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
I know there is a template floating around and I want to verify my measurements as I am about to cut the hole in the hood.. Can someone post it please.. I think larmo had posted it but I can't find it anywhere
sixnotfour
Bought from Vasek many moons ago..Ill get you some numbers
sixnotfour
I made a few of these, steel silver soldered to steel 100mm cap
sixnotfour
3.800 wide
1.120 tall
.380 dia. holes
.850 avrg. spacing
.102 thickness
mb911
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 9 2020, 09:04 AM) *

3.800 wide
1.120 tall
.380 dia. holes
.850 avrg. spacing
.102 thickness

@sixnotfour sorry for the confusion I meant the template for the hood cut out itself.
sixnotfour
Fine beer.gif

start small
mepstein
Our shop used to have a fuel cap with a small nail mounted dead center. It made for a perfect hole every time, no matter where the fill was located. It could probably be duplicated with a metal disk the same diameter of the fill, drill the hole in the center, mount the nail and tape the disk to the fill.
wes
Is this for the “Marek kit” as I’m just about to do mine on my new (I’m fearing cutting a hole in) carbon fiber hood.
mb911
QUOTE(wes @ Apr 9 2020, 10:34 AM) *

Is this for the “Marek kit” as I’m just about to do mine on my new (I’m fearing cutting a hole in) carbon fiber hood.

No I made my own kit.. But yes the same basic thing
mb911
Got it.. Thanks.. The template was a bit off for my application but was closeClick to view attachment
wysri9
I baulked at this operation too! My fresh fibreglass bonnet (hood!) looked so good.. I am not sure I would believe a template. I installed the tank with the filler on it and drilled initially a small hole to establish a point of reference . I then put a bullseye on the filler and started to open out the bonnet hole in accordance with the bullseye beneath. A slow process but given the criticality worth the effort. Softly softly catch the monkey.....

Measure twice -cut once and take your time. Rely on your car, your tank and your bonnet.

Good luck!

SR
sixnotfour
Its a basic number,,,Start Small...nothing about it is cast in Corona... headbang.gif
mb911
I am happy with the fitment
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 9 2020, 10:01 AM) *

Love mine...
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 9 2020, 09:25 PM) *

Love mine...

That looks really nice Jim
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 10 2020, 07:19 AM) *

Love mine...

Thanks, Jeff made it several years ago. The installation includes a small LED that comes on when the fuel door is raised.....
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 10 2020, 07:19 AM) *

Love mine...

Thanks, Jeff made it several years ago. The installation includes a small LED that comes on when the fuel door is raised.....
jmitro
QUOTE(wysri9 @ Apr 9 2020, 04:30 PM) *

I baulked at this operation too! My fresh fibreglass bonnet (hood!) looked so good.. I am not sure I would believe a template. I installed the tank with the filler on it and drilled initially a small hole to establish a point of reference . I then put a bullseye on the filler and started to open out the bonnet hole in accordance with the bullseye beneath. A slow process but given the criticality worth the effort. Softly softly catch the monkey.....

agree with this, I would not recommend a template. the fuel tank location is not an exact fitment. I cut a hole in my nicely painted fiberglass hood, only to find that once the fresh air blower was installed afterwards, the fuel tank now rests about 3/4" farther forward, so my hole is off. headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.