Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Linkage Junction Cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Minerva's 914
The cover at the rear of the shift linkage was left off at engine / transmission install by the shop. Owner said he left it off because "I always leave them off, you don't need it". Well I was a bit miffed but didn't say anything thinking, "well, I want it on there so I'll install it later".

Yesterday, looking for something to do I decided to put it on. Disconnected the linkage at the rear and slid it forward but it was just a tad too long to go thru the housing. Jumped inside, removed the armrest console and lower panel of the appearance group console, loosened the connection at the front of the linkage, removed it and upon returning to the rear discovered no increase in travel. Thats when I discovered that the bend in the linkage is the limiting factor as it hits the firewall before the linkage clears.

Question; is the a way to clear the linkage with the transmission in the car?

At this point my conclusion is the shop owner didn't realize that they had forgotten to install the cover and said to himself, "SHIT, I ain't dropping the unit to put it in, he can live without it"

Thoughts, opinions, HELP
GregAmy
The big plastic cover? Side sifter? Remove the set pin at the front end of the shift shaft, at the firewall (it's inside the rubber bellows). Then you can remove teh shaft and slide it out of the rear bracket.

Clean the thread in that set pin extremely well and use some blue Loctite on it when reinstalling.
TheCabinetmaker
After removing the screw from the front coupler, pull back on the bar. when it disconnects from the shaft coming out of the firewall, lower it down and pull it out from the front.
Minerva's 914
Thanks guys, I'll get on it first thing tomorrow.
UROpartsman
Cabinetmaker answered correctly.

On a side shift car, the rear bar can be disconnected and slid forward under the floor to get it off.

If it helps, we make both the front and rear side shift boots and covers, and our rear cover is the correct material.
Bleyseng
The cover, rubber bellows and cover fastener are there for a reason- To keep dirt and water out of the shift linkage! WTF kind of idiot shop is that, lazyasses.
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 9 2020, 05:56 PM) *

The cover, rubber bellows and cover fastener are there for a reason- To keep dirt and water out of the shift linkage! WTF kind of idiot shop is that, lazyasses.

My thoughts eggzakly!!!
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Apr 9 2020, 06:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 9 2020, 05:56 PM) *

My thoughts eggzakly!!!

Strange thing is, they are (maybe were) a great and well known 914 shop, that's what leads me to believe they missed it and didn't want to deal with it ....... not that it any kind of excuse.
windforfun
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 9 2020, 02:56 PM) *

Right on!
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Apr 9 2020, 12:21 PM) *

The cover at the rear of the shift linkage was left off at engine / transmission install by the shop. Owner said he left it off because "I always leave them off, you don't need it".

Time to find a new wrench. That would make me wonder what else he figured "you don't need". What a line of BS. I'd be pretty hacked off about that.
orthobiz
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 9 2020, 04:42 PM) *

Clean the thread in that set pin extremely well and use some blue Loctite on it when reinstalling.

If you are talking about the conical set screw, probably replace it if possible. It has a special delrin (or something) friction material built in that's for single use only.

Paul
rgalla9146
What did you disconnect inside the car ?
You may have upset the shift adjustment.
914e
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Apr 9 2020, 01:21 PM) *

The cover at the rear of the shift linkage was left off at engine / transmission install by the shop. Owner said he left it off because "I always leave them off, you don't need it".

When you pay the bill leave off a zero. Tell him you always leave them off, you don't need it.
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(914e @ Apr 10 2020, 12:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Apr 9 2020, 01:21 PM) *

When you pay the bill leave off a zero. Tell him you always leave them off, you don't need it.

lol-2.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Apr 9 2020, 06:12 PM) *

If you are talking about the conical set screw, probably replace it if possible. It has a special delrin (or something) friction material built in that's for single use only.

I am, Paul, but I've re-used them successfully with Blue Loctite. The replacements typically have thread lock on them anyway (I don't think it's Delrin).

But I will agree wholeheartedly that don't put them on dry; they will work loose eventually. If you're lucky they'll end up in the boot and you can re-insert for the drive home...but don't chance it.
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 10 2020, 07:03 PM) *

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Apr 9 2020, 06:12 PM) *

I am, Paul, but I've re-used them successfully with Blue Loctite. The replacements typically have thread lock on them anyway (I don't think it's Delrin).

But I will agree wholeheartedly that don't put them on dry; they will work loose eventually. If you're lucky they'll end up in the boot and you can re-insert for the drive home...but don't chance it.

Thank you for the confirmation. I have it all back together and adjusted but didn't have any Blue Loctite in the garage. The 914 is still up in the air and tomorrow before I drop her, I'll go to the store and pick up some Blue Loctite and re-torque then take her out for a test drive. Thanks to the 914World Brotherhood for the support.
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 9 2020, 09:29 PM) *

What did you disconnect inside the car ?
You may have upset the shift adjustment.

Yeah, I did upset the shift adjustment, wish I had not done so as it was unnecessary. That being said, it happened and as they say shit happens. Yes it would have been way easier if I had not gone there but I did. I accept responsibility for my novice status and followed thru with readjusting the linkage front to back.

It's all back together now, but I need to pick up some Blue Loctite tomorrow to finalize and then we should be good.
SO.O.C914er
Nylon thread lock is often used in the aerospace business really was intended for single use. I would say if your going to reuse it your going to need that locktite....Paul beerchug.gif
orthobiz
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 10 2020, 07:03 PM) *

The replacements typically have thread lock on them anyway (I don't think it's Delrin).

Would you believe...polethylene??

P
Minerva's 914
To stick a fork in my part of this thread, used the Loctite Blue, reassembled and adjusted everything, looks and performs perfectly. Used the opportunity to correct the shift boot oriantation and repair a broken ground wire to the defrost and all is good in the garage and gave me an excellent excuse to go on a 78 mile test drive thru the wide open NC backroads. Thanks to all in this wonderful community.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.