Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another day older..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
so after getting my distributor back together, installed and lined up correctly, i tried to fire her up. she fired instantly, then died. She will start, idle for a second then die again. Turn the key to ON and you could hear the pump prime then turn off. Crank it and it would start, choke, die. Checked and all the injectors are pulsing-with a noid light- and power to coil is good. The ignition box is flashing when you crank it so its reading correct. I pulled the relays from the board, switched them around and then tried it all again....now the pump does NOT prime, and still no start. I checked the haynes manual, it says check for 12v @ 86 and ground @ 85, but im not sure which relay is for the fuel pump, they dont say. Cant find it anywhere. I checked all of them, a couple of them have 12v and ground, the first and fourth ones i believe didnt. The light was alittle dim, put in another battery and light was much better, still no prime to pump now. Tried switching on the ignition w/ the test light on the fuel pump + terminal and no power. Ran a jumper to the pump from a spare battery and it runs fine. Am i looking at a bad ignition switch? Anyone? pray.gif confused24.gif chair.gif
joeav8tor
I just tuned my motor up (after removing it) got it back in the car...put the distributer back in, lined it up...sarted the car...and it did the same thing your car seems to be doing...got out the timing light (3500 rpm) and now the car is running nicely...just a hair off with the timing and the car ran like crap. the timing might be off. idea.gif
Joe
xsboost90
well, i wish i could time it, but it wont run. It just starts then shuts right off. Well, now it doesnt even do that! PUmp not running at all....
Trekkor
That start and die symptom is the cold start injector firing only.

The F.I. brain doesn't "know" that the car is cranking and trying to start.

start with injector harness grounds...
Check vacuum hoses for routing accuracy and leaks.

KT
xsboost90
checked the grounds for the injectors on the back of the block, seemed tight and in tact. Do they have anything to do w/ the distributor, i just had that out, maybe the ground goes through that or something?
xsboost90
anyone have a good harness or a new harness for less than 400 for a 74 2.0?? haha yeah right Maybe ill pull mine and replace wires one at a time, check continuity and such.
bd1308
i have a harness that works.....it'll get you running. where do i send it?
xsboost90
the more i think over this, i may just need an ignition switch, ill be checking that tonite.
mikerose
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 7 2005, 09:31 AM)
.it'll get you running.

lol2.gif
bd1308
mad.gif come on man....my car ran.....
mikerose
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 7 2005, 12:02 PM)
.my car ran.....

flipa.gif
ClayPerrine
What you have sounds like the fuel pump relay is bad. IIRC, you said that if you power the fuel pump directly, the car will run.

user posted image

If you pull the relay that is numbered 75 in this diagram, you should be able to jumper pins 30 and 87 to start the fuel pump running. The relay is the second relay from the rear of the car, slightly offset to the driver's side.

If the pump comes on, then replace the relay with the rear most relay on the relay board.

Let me know if that helps.

bd1308
QUOTE (mikerose @ Jul 7 2005, 02:05 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 7 2005, 12:02 PM)
.my car ran.....

flipa.gif

what? it ran....swear. biggrin.gif
maf914
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Jul 7 2005, 11:56 AM)
the more i think over this, i may just need an ignition switch, ill be checking that tonite.

It could be the ignition switch, since one of the failure symptoms is as you describe. It will let the engine start in the "start" position, but shuts off when the key returns to the "ignition" position. I've had two switches (the plastic part behind the key cylinder) fail like this over the years. The first time, took me forever to figure out. The second time, I remembered. idea.gif
914helo
Just a wild guess but have you had the fuel lines disconnected recently? A few years back I replaced my fuel pump and accidently switched the supply and return lines and got very similar symptoms. Started up then died and after would start. Hope you figure it out. Your car looks too good to not be driven.
bd1308
mine would run fine on the road, then cut out for like 15 senconds, return to life, die return die return.

sparplug auto-ejecting (like apple floppy drives) is the white flag. the timesert came with it and welded itself to the spark plug....literally.
xsboost90
ok ok, doah! left the relay plugged half in half out! hey its dark in there. Then the pump runs but the car doesnt. Checked the ohms across the FI points when turned/rotated. One side was actin up, cleaned it up and BOOM the thing runs. Still alittle rich but she is running! on top of that a friend of mine gives me a 901, axels, hood, trunk, engine cover, beat up early rear bumper and shift linkage for free!! Today was a good day, dunt dunt du du du da....
redshift
YAY!! smile.gif

Finally!

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.