Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSD & Pertronix ignitors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gatornapper
It's looking like (diagnosis not really started - just happened tonight) I have had both a Pertronix and Hot-Spark ignitors get killed on my 914 on which I've had MSD since I got it.

Not sure about the Pertronix, but tonight both engine and tach started going haywire, then just suddenly died & lost all ignition at 60mph 3/4 mile from home. Had to tow car back.

Something similar seemed to happen with the Hot-Spark a few weeks ago, only without the tach issue.

I do have a .8ohm resister between the 12v from the ignition switch in front of the ignitor. Running an 050 dizzy and blue Bosche coil.

Is there any history of MSD's killing electronic ignitors?

Rickb45 just put in an MSD and not long afterwards, his Pertronix died too.........

If not, any one have any ideas?

Oh, my alternator runs low, generally 12.2 - 12.8v max with a good VR - have new alternator in my garage to put in ASAP. Pretty sure alternator is not putting out spikes, but really don't know as I do not have a recording oscilloscope...... ;-)

GN
brant
Bump
IronHillRestorations
I've done several 6 conversion engine harnesses with MSD triggered by Pertronix Ignitor. I'll make it however the customer wants it configured, but I always caveat with my opinion on the Ignitor. If I make one now, I usually do a breakout wire in case the Ignitor fails and you've got to put points back in.

The Pertronix is not a mag pickup, even though it's got magnetic components, so using the green and purple mag pickup wires on the MSD is not correct, you use the same wire as a points distributor, you just have to get switched power to the Ignitor.

No secret that I'm not a fan of Pertronix, and I know there's more guys that have had good service from them. I wish I never had problems as I think the concept is great. I guess I'm just on the anomaly side of the reliability factor.

I do know you should delete the condenser, as you don't need it with an Ignitor.

I put a brand new Pertronix SVDA distributor on a customer car(4 cyl) a few years ago, and it ran great for about 200 miles, and then dead as a rock. I found a 1.8 distributor with points and car was problem free. I felt bad for my customer as he was taking his wife out to dinner. I stood behind it and absorbed the cost to swap it out, but I won't do that again.

In an MSD system the points are just a low voltage signal, so the only part that can give much trouble is the rubbing block, which should last for 5k miles or more without service.
Gatornapper
Well, thankfully the Pertronix is fine.....as I had no spark, I jumped to the conclusion that the Pertronix had failed.

No - a mechanic who put in the MSD originally had done a very poor crimp job on a spade terminal from the 12v ignition switch to the MSD - so the MSD said, "No power at ignition switch = I shut down."

5 min to find it, 5 min to fix it, car back to running great.

Yes Perry, I'm an old points guy myself, but have gone to electronic ignition on most of my old vehicles - having a half a dozen, that's too many sets of points to keep after - tho I do set them in my sleep.......what we learned on, right?

Now, as to Rick's '72.....we don't know.......

GN
brcacti
What is an MSD ?
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(brcacti @ Apr 13 2020, 02:49 PM) *

What is an MSD ?

MSD Ignition

Click to view attachment
they come in black now too
Gatornapper
NO single add-on thing can do more to improve the performance of any old engine than adding MSD! Greatly improves firing at all low to mid-range RPM - where most of us do most of our driving......not much help above 3,000 rpm, but we don't live there much - do we?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSD_Ignition

Enjoy!

GN

QUOTE(brcacti @ Apr 13 2020, 04:49 PM) *

What is an MSD ?
pbanders
FWIW, I had my Crane XR3000 go completely dead on me the other day. Ordered and installed a new (brand has changed, it's FAST now) XR3000 module, and all was well. With the engine compartment heat, it seems all brands of electronic ignition eventually have issues.
Gatornapper
Brad -

I think this is likely true. All things electronic dislike heat.

And a good reason to carry either a spare dizzy w/points, or a spare ignitor of the brand you are running.

GN

QUOTE(pbanders @ Apr 13 2020, 08:42 PM) *

FWIW, I had my Crane XR3000 go completely dead on me the other day. Ordered and installed a new (brand has changed, it's FAST now) XR3000 module, and all was well. With the engine compartment heat, it seems all brands of electronic ignition eventually have issues.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.