Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Buying a 2010+ Jetta, Need advise!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
preach
Mods please move if you want, I just figured more eyes here.

My Mother in Law needs a newer car. I do not want to get on an airliner as I think they are potential petri dishes right now. So a car purchase and a 4 day run across country might be just the ticket.

I am looking at purchasing a <$6000 VW Jetta out here in Southern California and driving it home. This puts me in the 2011+ range judging from San Diego Craigslist.

Do I even want one for her?
What engine? I really like the 5cyls, I want one for an Opel GT some day.

Please enlighten me!
DickSteinkamp
You might do better posting this over here...

Jetta Forum
thelogo
QUOTE(preach @ Apr 14 2020, 06:30 AM) *

Mods please move if you want, I just figured more eyes here.

My Mother in Law needs a newer car. I do not want to get on an airliner as I think they are potential petri dishes right now. So a car purchase and a 4 day run across country might be just the ticket.

I am looking at purchasing a <$6000 VW Jetta out here in Southern California and driving it home. This puts me in the 2011+ range judging from San Diego Craigslist.

Do I even want one for her?
What engine? I really like the 5cyls, I want one for an Opel GT some day.

Please enlighten me!

I'll be happy to enlighten you .

I got a scion xb 1st gen for my grandma .
This car is where its at for the older crowd.

30 plus mpg , toyota reliablity , simple , easy to drive, perfect entry exit height for older crowd . easy to see out of ..... Safer for senior drivers .

Very inexpensive to buy used . maintain etc .
100% made in japan .

I will admit i got it by accident before i new about these cars .

But its the best thing on the road if your not concered about , high performance .

And its pre hi tech . so old people love it .

Id buy it again 100x over before a jetta or focus which is what it replaced

I never say this but you will get every last dime of your moneys worth out of these .

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d...7094825909.html

Something about a 2000lbs car with a 100hp motor
That just seems right . ( colin chapman )ish

Best suv , small car on the road .

Will do everthing a 914 will do and everthing a
Huge suv will do . ( but never guzzle gas )

Did i mention made in japan. When those guys get one wrong please let me know . its never gonna happen
preach
Dick: Thank you.
Thelogo: Did you miss the whole Jetta thing? She'd smack my bitch ass up if I bought her one of those. She is only 64 or something.

I was hoping for some real world knowledge. I will go to the Jetta site.
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(preach @ Apr 14 2020, 12:05 PM) *

Thelogo: Did you miss the whole Jetta thing? She'd smack my bitch ass up if I bought her one of those. She is only 64 or something.

Good idea Dan. Don't go and get your bitch ass smacked up. lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(preach @ Apr 14 2020, 09:05 AM) *

I heard your looking for a German made in Mexico jetta and its a big mistake . horror stories ive heard from uber drivers i could tell you .

Why is a scion xb a problem it will run rings around a jetta . ? + never break down. Dirt cheap to operate , may be the easiest car to work on ever ! And avearge 33 mpg

But if you have to buy a jetta a tdi wagon or diesal jetta .
But youll regret it .

cary
Something about a 2000lbs car with a 100hp motor
That just seems right . ( colin chapman )ish

We have a 2015 2.0 SHC 105 hp, manual gearbox. Standard, not even an S.
Bought with 20k, just passed 56 k.
No issues. Wives DD.
Chris914n6
I bought an 05 Beetle to flip. The list of problems is too long to write out in a day but I've already got 60 hours into repairs to make it a decent daily.

Oh, 61k miles confirmed....

Can your Mom afford to own a VW?
By that I mean can she be without a car for a week several times a year with a $1000 repair bill?
thelogo
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 14 2020, 02:43 PM) *

I bought an 05 Beetle to flip. The list of problems is too long to write out in a day but I've already got 60 hours into repairs to make it a decent daily.

Oh, 61k miles confirmed....

Can your Mom afford to own a VW?
By that I mean can she be without a car for a week several times a year with a $1000 repair bill?

agree.gif pray.gif

If you cant go home in a scion . then this . may work better

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d...7098039638.html
jcd914
I bought new a 2014 Jetta TDI Value Edition (very few options or fancy crap) and other than routine maintenance, the only repair I have paid for was replacement of a rear window regulator ($100 extended warranty) and I replaced the battery.
I have 80k miles on it now and the AC is slow to get cold which is probably corrosion in the AC control valves in the compressor, estimated at $1200 to replace.
I find the seats to be uncomfortable after an hour or so but these days almost anything I sit in for an hour is uncomfortable.

Gets great mileage even after VW did their emissions recall on it.

The almost $7k dollars I got from VW & Bosch was nice to.

Jim
thelogo
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 14 2020, 04:34 PM) *

I bought new a 2014 Jetta TDI Value Edition (very few options or fancy crap) and other than routine maintenance, the only repair I have paid for was replacement of a rear window regulator ($100 extended warranty) and I replaced the battery.
I have 80k miles on it now and the AC is slow to get cold which is probably corrosion in the AC control valves in the compressor, estimated at $1200 to replace.
I find the seats to be uncomfortable after an hour or so but these days almost anything I sit in for an hour is uncomfortable.

Gets great mileage even after VW did their emissions recall on it.

The almost $7k dollars I got from VW & Bosch was nice to.

Jim

So your not thrilled with the car but they gave you some money . to make you happy ?

screwy.gif
ThinAir
I don't know the market for TDI Jettas, but we had a 2010 that we liked so much that we sold it back and bought a 2015. My only complaint about the 2010 was that there was a hesitation when you pressed the accelerator to start up from a stop. It took some getting used to so that you knew how to drive it. The 2015 does not has this issue.

One thing about TDIs - they want to be driven. If it is going to sit a lot or only go on short trips, then a gasoline engine is better.
DickSteinkamp
I bought my 05 TDI wagon new. It's the PD motor.. 50+ MPG. No problems in 160,000 miles (so far). The diesel wagons (at least then) were made in Germany. I don't know if that made any difference, however.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.