Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smoke from steering column/ignition area.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
So I dropped the fuse panel to tap into a ignition power on and cranking only voltage yesterday for my Honda ECU.

I happened to notice some fried wiring for the fog light switch (car had what I believe to be halogen Pilot driving lights)

See 1st pic.

Click to view attachment

Issues on the fuse panel a wire (green square) that was cut and soldered, electrical tape falling off.

Burnt red wire (pink square) and some sort of double relay going to I think a headlight relay (orange rectangle)

I removed the relay contraption and opened it up, it had 2 small 10amp pcb board mount type relays.

Back to the smoke. When I was testing the lights and turned the ignition switch I saw light puffs of smoke from what looks like the ignition switch and steering column.

Ideas of screw up?

Click to view attachment

lierofox
Well let's see... with the ignition switch on the "run" position, it feeds power to that fuse holder that had the burnt red wire (4th fuse from the right.) Any idea what that cluster of burned wires feeds to?
Mueller
The burnt wires shown are from previous owner(s)

Circuit 8, it is pulling 6 amps between fuse holder tabs.
Cigarette lighter is fine.
aturboman
The black with a blue tracer in the first photo is almost always instrument / switch illumination wiring.

Those early sockets have a very bad history of shorting which can burn up all the dash wiring in a hurry; I've fixed a few.

All those illumination wires are typically strung together, not fused, and hot when the key is on.

Hope this helps you find the gremlins
Chris914n6
I'd guess DPO wired the fog switch wrong the first time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.