Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think this isn’t right?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tjmrfe
Ok, so....I’ve got my motor out, 75’ 1.8 and I’m changing the seals on the push rod tubes, ordered a kit from AA that came with all the seals and gaskets for an entire rebuild. So, I
Set the ones on the head side on, they’re green, all good similar in size and stature to the original ones...
then the crankcase side, now...the old ones looked like little tires, the new ones well...don’t. And when I fit them in the slot they look too loose?
are they wrong? Or are the old ones just flattened from 50 years of probably being there?
A different style but still as good,
or should I stop, get the right ones?
Thanks guys as always,
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Tjmrfe @ Apr 14 2020, 07:03 PM) *

Or are the old ones just flattened from 50 years of probably being there?

Yes, you should be good. The seals are supposed to be rounded, not flat like tires.
Mikey914
Do a test fit into the head and the case just a little oil to help it slide in. You will know pretty quickly if the fit it good. there should be enough tension to hold the tube in place with just the seal.
914Sixer
Thick seal looks like a distributor shaft seal NOT tube seal.
rgalla9146
Are there eight like the one pictured ?
Is the kit package a known brand ?
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 15 2020, 05:39 AM) *

Are there eight like the one pictured ?
Is the kit package a known brand ?

Yes, the kit had 8...& is the Victor Reinz brand...they went together properly, just guess it’s my inexperience made me nervous....thank you
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 14 2020, 11:49 PM) *

Do a test fit into the head and the case just a little oil to help it slide in. You will know pretty quickly if the fit it good. there should be enough tension to hold the tube in place with just the seal.

Yup, like you said, snapped in nice and tight. I think it’s ok...Just looked a bit loose, was a Victor Reinz kit... I’ll know soon! Lol... thanks again.
porschetub
Good one ,lube them with motor oil and rotate as you pull inwards,I used a pair of waterpump pliers clamped loosely to avoid damaging the "o"rings.
Make sure you fit the spring bales to stop them moving outwards and you will be golden,cheers
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 15 2020, 08:40 AM) *

Thick seal looks like a distributor shaft seal NOT tube seal.

agree.gif About the same size as a PR seal but the dizzy seal is flatter and wider, in the pic that flat/wider seal is for sure a dizzy seal.

QUOTE(Tjmrfe @ Apr 14 2020, 07:03 PM) *

Ok, so....I’ve got my motor out, 75’ 1.8 and I’m changing the seals on the push rod tubes, ordered a kit from AA that came with all the seals and gaskets for an entire rebuild. So, I
Set the ones on the head side on, they’re green, all good similar in size and stature to the original ones...
then the crankcase side, now...the old ones looked like little tires, the new ones well...don’t. And when I fit them in the slot they look too loose?
are they wrong? Or are the old ones just flattened from 50 years of probably being there?
A different style but still as good,
or should I stop, get the right ones?
Thanks guys as always,
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 17 2020, 10:19 PM) *

Good one ,lube them with motor oil and rotate as you pull inwards,I used a pair of waterpump pliers clamped loosely to avoid damaging the "o"rings.
Make sure you fit the spring bales to stop them moving outwards and you will be golden,cheers

Thanks, it worked better than I feared...lol...not a bad job all in all...thanks again
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.