Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interior lamp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jrbirdman92
Can someone tell me where the brown wires go? I only see two places that the connectors can go. I know black is ground and has to go on one of them
drem914
QUOTE(Jrbirdman92 @ Apr 14 2020, 05:43 PM) *

Can someone tell me where the brown wires go? I only see two places that the connectors can go. I know black is ground and has to go on one of them

brown connectors on the end with two connectors. black connector on the single end.

Click to view attachment
bbrock
On our cars, brown is ground and brown with white stripe is switched ground. In this case, the switches are the door switches. Black with red stripe should be your power.
914_7T3
If you only have two tabs on the lamp then one is possibly missing or it is an incorrect replacement part. The correct one has 3 connections. Many look the same from the front.
bbrock
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Apr 14 2020, 07:32 PM) *

If you only have two tabs on the lamp then one is possibly missing or it is an incorrect replacement part. The correct one has 3 connections. Many look the same from the front.

I count 3 tabs in the picture.
Jrbirdman92
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 14 2020, 09:45 PM) *

drem914
If you look at the photo I posted above, installed correctly, you will see two tabs with the brown wires connected. On the mark up of your photo you will see where you are missing the second tab. May have broken off, been dislodged or never had it to begin with. Is this a VW part or a re-pop.

Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(Jrbirdman92 @ Apr 15 2020, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 14 2020, 09:45 PM) *

Well you didn't have to cut one off just to make me look bad. lol-2.gif Looks like either one of the connector tabs has broken off or missing, or you have a funky 2-position switch rather than the normal 3-position. If the tab is missing, you could fashion a tab from a scrap of copper and solder it on to that pad. confused24.gif You should be able to see if the switch makes contact on one side or the other as you move it each way from center.
BPic
Here's what mine looks like. Brown to the top (as installed) Brown and White to the bottom (for the door switches) Black (to the center console clock) Black and Brown (power from fuse 11)
I still need to add shrink tube to the connectors.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.