Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clever Solutions 1: Mounting Muffler Shield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
Anybody have ideas for mounting the muffler shield besides welding to the underside of the trunk floor? Any good reasons not to?
roblav1
You sure can't glue it on! No way on drilling holes to bolt it in place either.
PanelBilly
I left it off my muffler is in a different location anyways
Bmw635
Weld 3 upside down U on the same side and weld a nut on the single side so you can slide on the 3 and bolt down the 1 so it can be removable.
Spoke
I welded nuts to the hangers on the heat shield and drilled holes in the trunk floor. This way it's just a bolt on/off item.
davep
I believe that most of the 914/6 used screws.
sixnotfour
AH The 70's piratenanner.gif
falcor75
IPB Image

I made a new one in aluminium and used the rear swaybar holes and made little brackets that connect the rear lower edge to the holes that the rear valance mount too.
mb911
I just used self taping stainless sheet metal screws from the trunk down into the shield
rgalla9146
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Apr 15 2020, 05:56 AM) *

IPB Image

I made a new one in aluminium and used the rear swaybar holes and made little brackets that connect the rear lower edge to the holes that the rear valance mount too.

I like.
I'm doing it a bit different though, using curved sheet to mimic the original.
Tdskip
Why not weld? Aren’t there mobile welders in your area if you don’t have the equipment?

Related question - is there a guide to correct positioning?
Retroracer
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 15 2020, 04:40 AM) *

I just used self taping stainless sheet metal screws from the trunk down into the shield

agree.gif I did the same. Pragmatic solution!

- Tony
Tdskip
@mb911 - why not just hit those screw holes with spot welds?
mb911
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 15 2020, 07:47 AM) *

@tdskip I had already painted everything before I knew exactly where to position it based off of where the muffler would fit in the chassis
Tdskip
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 15 2020, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 15 2020, 07:47 AM) *

@tdskip I had already painted everything before I knew exactly where to position it based off of where the muffler would fit in the chassis

@mb911 - there is a lesson for us in there somewhere....
barefoot
I used SS pop rivets which worked very well

Barefoot
Garland
Need to perform this task myself. After reading this thread I’m thinking epoxies, J&B weld since I don’t want to repaint the inner trunk, or add holes. It’s a light weight part.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Garland @ Apr 15 2020, 02:51 PM) *

Need to perform this task myself. After reading this thread I’m thinking epoxies, J&B weld since I don’t want to repaint the inner trunk, or add holes. It’s a light weight part.

Epoxy is great stuff but it depends on the app, for this it will hold for awhile but it will one day fail or it could just pull the paint right off.
Pretty high vibration and high heat prone area and besides making epoxy work upside down is a PITA.

mb911
Stainless self tapers really are the way to go..
live free & drive
This screw would be a good candidate:

https://www.mcmaster.com/93406a312
bkrantz
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am motivated to make the shield detachable so that during prep and paint I can get clear access to the underside of the floor.

I prefer not to screw thru the trunk floor, since a hole is a hole (and in my shiny new floor section). I would rather weld the stand-off brackets to the trunk floor and attach the shield to the brackets with bolts (or screws). Or use weld-on studs on the floor (with spacers) and attach the shield directly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.