Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free gift: Your personal data to hackers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
...they don't even pay you for it. Those of you who display your stable in your signatures are at risk. I am not a hacker and I don't play one on TV. biggrin.gif

From CNN report today:

"Hackers looking to break into your private accounts could use any piece of information you share in a viral challenge, the bureau said: Your favorite TV shows and the makes and models of all the cars you've owned are two examples."
rhodyguy
Informative...the new Amazon account scam is a dandy. If you should receive an email about your account activity being suspended I suggest you not open the email. How do I know this? I got the email. I don't have a Amazon account, knew it was BS and deleted the email before opening. The computer gets highjacked and all sorts of shit gets installed. When you call the provided number because your computer is frozen, $400 on your credit card is said to remedy the issue. Then 'Bob' or 'James' has the access to your credit card info. Then it's a nightmare hassle. My wife fell for the scam. Fucking hassle. Cancel, reissue cards. I teed off on 'Bob' when I stepped in and took control of the call. Then I called Apple. A tech walked me thru the process removing all the garbage Bob had installed. Free of charge. The tech told me she helps with this hack all and every day. Then, this month there was a write up about the scam in AARP magazine. Beware.
ValcoOscar
What stable confused24.gif ....thanks for sharing. Can never be too prepared. I have over 24 cameras at home, two alarm systems, a big mastiff and one bad ass feisty CAT that rules the house. Oh yeah, my cousin Guido just moved in after losing his job at the docks.

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
I see Porsches piratenanner.gif
FlacaProductions
Every one of those "challenges" on FB is data mining. Post your HS senior pic....post your pic, here's what you'll look like in 20 years....thanks for adding to our facial recognition database.
Unobtanium-inc
I live by the adage, if they want it, they will get it. I first learned this when my Scirocco got stolen from my high school parking lot, they stole it in less than a minute, I had both The Club and an alarm, and they still got it, with the football team watching.
Same with people mining for data on you online, unless you live in a hole, everything about you is readily available. Google yourself, you'll find your home address in seconds, and through Google, you can even see your house, maybe even your car. It's like when I see people cover up their plates on their car, I don't get it.
So no I don't have cameras, nor do I try and hide online. Everything is quickly available to those that want it.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Apr 15 2020, 12:44 PM) *

I live by the adage, if they want it, they will get it. I first learned this when my Scirocco got stolen from my high school parking lot, they stole it in less than a minute, I had both The Club and an alarm, and they still got it, with the football team watching.
Same with people mining for data on you online, unless you live in a hole, everything about you is readily available. Google yourself, you'll find your home address in seconds, and through Google, you can even see your house, maybe even your car. It's like when I see people cover up their plates on their car, I don't get it.
So no I don't have cameras, nor do I try and hide online. Everything is quickly available to those that want it.

agree.gif

My Panamera headlights were stolen in 37 seconds flat on a Saturday afternoon at 2:45pm in broad daylight. I was home working on the 914 with a certain Santa Clarita Sheriff World memeber, @robarabian ,when it went down. Luckily they weren't interested in the Porscharu.
RickS
Sounds like I will have to drop the Vayron, Oddy R9, Furari la Furarri and the A-vent-the-Door. Dam
KELTY360
QUOTE(RickS @ Apr 15 2020, 05:55 PM) *

Sounds like I will have to drop the Vayron, Oddy R9, Furari la Furarri and the A-vent-the-Door. Dam

But it sounds like you'll have enough room in the garage to install a bowing lane or two and still have room for the nein fortien.
rhodyguy
Anyone get a notice from PayPal about suspicious activity and changing your account #? I did. About my nonexistent account. Be careful.
Front yard mechanic
Stop that - ADMIN
KELTY360
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ May 1 2020, 05:43 AM) *

Stop that! - ADMIN

Clueless
Front yard mechanic
In Seattle?
76-914
Yesterday I received the scam call stating that my SS number was being suspended! Nomorobo tagged the incoming call but I was bored so I listened to it. Someone tell me why our elected officials can't "put a complete stop to this" in 24hr's. The Chinese will have no difficulty knocking us off if we can't even defend against unwanted phone calls.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 1 2020, 10:09 AM) *

Yesterday I received the scam call stating that my SS number was being suspended! Nomorobo tagged the incoming call but I was bored so I listened to it. Someone tell me why our elected officials can't "put a complete stop to this" in 24hr's. The Chinese will have no difficulty knocking us off if we can't even defend against unwanted phone calls.

Canada authorities have been trying, recently a joint task force brought down a major India call center/sweatshop, but they admit it's like playing whack a mole.
rhodyguy
The no contact list is toothless in Mumbai. That people would believe a phone call about a suspension of a SS NUMBER, freak out, and then regurgitate personal info to a STRANGER is beyond belief.
fixer34
I don't suggest anyone put their number(s) on the Do Not Call list anymore. It isn't enforced and is a gold mine for phone scammers since it is a listing of verified GOOD numbers.

As a computer tech, I deal with the phishing emails all the time, but the phone calls are just as bad. I keep saying, take a breath, stop and think! EVERY reputable company and government has repeatedly said they will NOT call you and threaten to close your account, have you arrested, or turn off your utilities unless you pay them (in gift cards no less..). And legitimate companies already know your SS or account number, they don't need to ask for it.

Unfortunately with voice over IP internet calling, stopping them is more difficult than it sounds. On the internet, it's just another data packet like your web browsing. As you see, caller ID info is easily spoofed and even source IP info can be manipulated. They have to go after the source and shut that down.
rjames
Never click on a link in an email unless... nah, better just not to do it.

if you get an email saying your password needs to be changed, or something about your account and you want to verify if there is a problem or not, just go directly to the company's website yourself, don't use the provided link.
If there's an issue with your account, you'll find out right away when you try logging in.

There's also another scam that we're seeing a resurgence of where the email states they have your password and in fact tells you what the password is. The go on to say that they have compromising video of you that they will release if you don't send them $. They password they have may be an old one that you're not using anymore, or you may still be using it. They've gotten it from a hacked password database, usually a very old one. If you're still using that password anywhere, make sure you change it on those accounts. They don't have compromising video of you, but if you were using that password anywhere, they may have accessed the account.

A pretty good way to see if an account associated with your email address has ever been hacked:
https://haveibeenpwned.com/

And make sure your routers, video cameras, any network device, that you've changed the default password. You'd be amazed at how many people don't change the default password on network devices.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.