Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat belt Replacement 1976 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagersh
Hi Guys,

Trying to make the best out of sheltering in place by knocking out some long overdue issues with my '76.

I pulled the seats today to attempt to CAREFULLY remove the rear upholstered cabin panel behind the seats to get to the belt retractors.

I get that you need to pull the panel towards the front of the car at the bottom so that the retainers at the top can be cleared.

First Question: How to remove the Engine Grill pull knob so that I can get the panel clear. I am assuming it is screwed on, but I want to confirm before I destroy it!

Second Question: How are the retractors attached to the body of the car? Do I need to go in through the engine compartment? What little I could see from the passenger side, I did not see any attachment points. In the Engine bay on the driver side, I see some sort of attachment where it looks like the retractor would be located in the cabin.

So there is where I am right now. I will have many more questions to come, as my cabin lights do not function right now, but the bulb is good according to my Multimeter.

Thanks!

Michael G
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Just call me tomorrow and we can go over all of it on the phone

QUOTE(dagersh @ Apr 15 2020, 03:16 PM) *

Hi Guys,

Trying to make the best out of sheltering in place by knocking out some long overdue issues with my '76.

I pulled the seats today to attempt to CAREFULLY remove the rear upholstered cabin panel behind the seats to get to the belt retractors.

I get that you need to pull the panel towards the front of the car at the bottom so that the retainers at the top can be cleared.

First Question: How to remove the Engine Grill pull knob so that I can get the panel clear. I am assuming it is screwed on, but I want to confirm before I destroy it!

Second Question: How are the retractors attached to the body of the car? Do I need to go in through the engine compartment? What little I could see from the passenger side, I did not see any attachment points. In the Engine bay on the driver side, I see some sort of attachment where it looks like the retractor would be located in the cabin.

So there is where I am right now. I will have many more questions to come, as my cabin lights do not function right now, but the bulb is good according to my Multimeter.

Thanks!

Michael G

FlacaProductions
Engine Grill pull knob is threaded - pull it until you can get a pair of vice grips on the solid part of the cable right behind the knob - then you can unscrew it. Then you also need to unscrew the plastic part that is behind the knob - it's threaded in as well. Sometimes you can simply turn it with your fingers but you'll see two indents where you may be able to get the tips of needle nose pliers in there and get it started.

Retractors are bolted on from inside the cabin - you'll see them when you get the backpad off.

The search function here is very powerful and there is a lot of info on seatbelts here.
raynekat
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Apr 15 2020, 03:51 PM) *

Engine Grill pull knob is threaded - pull it until you can get a pair of vice grips on the solid part of the cable right behind the knob - then you can unscrew it. Then you also need to unscrew the plastic part that is behind the knob - it's threaded in as well. Sometimes you can simply turn it with your fingers but you'll see two indents where you may be able to get the tips of needle nose pliers in there and get it started.

Retractors are bolted on from inside the cabin - you'll see them when you get the backpad off.

The search function here is very powerful and there is a lot of info on seatbelts here.

Flaca is dead on correct on all of the above.
dagersh
Thanks guys. Flaca, I did a search, but was not able to come up with much. That said, i look forward to diving in.
FlacaProductions
What's the issue with your belts?
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(dagersh @ Apr 16 2020, 02:14 PM) *

Thanks guys. Flaca, I did a search, but was not able to come up with much. That said, i look forward to diving in.

For searching, I use Google as follows: type "914world.com: search criteria". No quotes, and type what you want to search for where it says search criteria into the Google search bar. For example 914world.com: seat belt mounting. That seems to work the best, definitely better than the search feature on this site.
dagersh
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Apr 16 2020, 05:57 PM) *

What's the issue with your belts?

Flaca,

Age, brittle and driver side is really slow to retract. Plus, the new ones have a silver stripe! Should be good for 10hp and 1.7 seconds lap time on Lime Rock!

drunk.gif
dagersh
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Apr 17 2020, 02:15 PM) *

QUOTE(dagersh @ Apr 16 2020, 02:14 PM) *

For searching, I use Google as follows: type "914world.com: search criteria". No quotes, and type what you want to search for where it says search criteria into the Google search bar. For example 914world.com: seat belt mounting. That seems to work the best, definitely better than the search feature on this site.

RZ-1 I will try that. Thanks you. When the searches come up in a 53 page topic, its tough to go all the way through when I just want to work on the car.

BTW - its the old MPC kit, but I like how it came out.

MIchael Gershon Star Wars Modelling FB Page
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.