Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 48 year old puzzle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
In 1975 I was in college, Jr college in Illinois. I got hit in the parking lot. No note, I had no money to fix it. I drove around like an idiot with a dented fender until one day a guy approaches me at school and says he is sorry he hit my car and offers to pay for the damage. biggrin.gif

I brought it to the North Shore Porsche Dealer in Kenilworth IL and this is what I got>

Click to view attachment

I complained about the match, they said: we used the right color - your car has faded!

I of course believed them, I went home and glazed the entire car to try and remove the oxidation that they mentioned. The picture was taken after the polishing.

QUESTION that has been bugging me since '75, what color did they paint it? Is it a 911 color? Sure isn't signal orange!

Thank you Teeners!

Could not get the picture to post horizontal.........not sure why..........
Frankvw
Maybe they used a VW Beetle orange instead of a 914 orange ?
Over here they called them VOPO's , VOlkswagen POrsches, so could be the hangover painter took a VW color ? Who knows......
It is the 1970 914 I think in the pic, so maybe he used a 1970 VW color like L20E or L21E...
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
stevend914
Looks like might be Nepal Orange, Signal Orange was not a standard 914 color for 1975.
ctc911ctc
Apologies, Yes it was a 1970 914 1.7, also was painted in 75/76 time frame.

Perhaps Bahama Yellow?

Click to view attachment

CTC911CTC
Chris H.
I think Frank is right, they most likely painted it the 1970s Volkswagen color L20B, Brilliant/bright orange. @GaroldShaffer used to own a 1970 that was re-painted that color. Hard to tell unless you really looked at it closely.
ctc911ctc

Or own a 2-tone car painted in each color smile.gif - Thanks Chris and Frank!

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 16 2020, 07:26 AM) *

I think Frank is right, they most likely painted it the 1970s Volkswagen color L20B, Brilliant/bright orange. @GaroldShaffer used to own a 1970 that was re-painted that color. Hard to tell unless you really looked at it closely.

StarBear
Used to work at BASF. Yes, the formulas ("formulae?") for the VWs and Porsches were just a bit different. Usually hard to notice. For example, check Jeff Bowlsby's page for my records on the L64K (Zambezi Green) color.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Apr 15 2020, 05:35 PM) *

I complained about the match, they said: we used the right color - your car has faded!

I of course believed them, I went home and glazed the entire car to try and remove the oxidation that they mentioned. The picture was taken after the polishing.

This might just be the best dealer line I've ever heard. lol-2.gif

"They all do that" being a very distant second or third. There were, what, five oranges (including Phonex Red, which is orange to these eyes—but not this orange) on the 914? But this looks like none of them to me. It does, however, look a bit like Bahama Yellow. Hard to believe they could have chosen that, however?
ctc911ctc
Still remember standing in the lot after forking over $94.50 and looking at the fender with the North Shore Porsche Body shop manager and being amazed that he did not see how different the colors were.

I had to point and tell him 'how can you not see the difference!' I think he may have also said something about the paint being 'new' and the color might settle.......sigh...

A regular Family-Truckster moment!

Has anyone else dealt with North Shore Porsche when they were in Kenilworth IL?

Perhaps time for "Dealer Stories"

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 16 2020, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Apr 15 2020, 05:35 PM) *

This might just be the best dealer line I've ever heard. lol-2.gif

"They all do that" being a very distant second or third. There were, what, five oranges (including Phonex Red, which is orange to these eyes—but not this orange) on the 914? But this looks like none of them to me. It does, however, look a bit like Bahama Yellow. Hard to believe they could have chosen that, however?
sixnotfour
The answer is..They Fuch'd up and blew off a young man... barf.gif

My Mom had a head gasket replaced on her Rabbit.. I opened the hood to find about
5 bolts/screws laying on the core support, I called the service Manager, He did nothing
and the Tech. said she ran out of time.....WTF....Thats how I learned about flat rate and crappy work ,and management... Cambell Nelson VW ...

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 16 2020, 10:46 AM) *

My Mom had a head gasket replaced on her Rabbit.. I opened the hood to find about
5 bolts/screws laying on the core support, I called the service Manager, He did nothing
and the Tech. said she ran out of time.....WTF....Thats how I learned about flat rate and crappy work ,and management... Cambell Nelson VW ...

Flat rate work sucks for a Auto Tech. Some things just don't fit the Mitchell time guide's estimate. So you shortcut it. Then it comes back and get assigned to another tech. When they work a comeback, they get the whole flat rate, and that is deducted from your total. So everybody wants to work the comebacks, because it could be a 5 hour job, and you can fix the minor screwup in 15 minutes. And then you get the 5 hours on your book.

Better to have the tech bid the job, and they are responsible for any comebacks.

Bleyseng
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 16 2020, 08:46 AM) *

Same thing with my 2004 Passat I took in for service at University VW. The bottom cover always would only have a few fasteners put on. Get the car and get on the freeway and the damn cover is dragging on the ground. Back to the dealer and they would put some more screws in. Every f*cking time til I got the service manager to give a bunch of the screws so I could do it myself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.