Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8L distributor issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zaffer
Quick backstory: Got this stock 1.8L engine to replace the 1.7L with carbs in a car. Wanted to take it back to factory FI so got a 1.8L FI system from a fellow member. Installed the system, but the distributor is not lining up like it should, at least according to what's on PP site. I am currently using the distributor that came with the 1.8L engine, which also still had some of the original FI attached, so assuming it is correct. I have the engine at TDC, both according to the fan and flywheel, however the rotor is sitting in-between two cylinders on the dist. cap. I have moved the dist. as far as it will go in either direction and still it won't quite line up with a cylinder on the cap. I have pulled the dist. to see if there are any adjustments and I can't see any way to do this. The dist. part number is 0 231 181 009. I also have a dist. 0 231 178 009 that came out of the 1.7L engine and has a pertronix unit installed instead of the points and condenser. Any ideas? I have attached pictures to aid. Click to view attachment
Zaffer
Another dist. picture
Zaffer
Engine at TDC
ClayPerrine
Verify you are not looking at the 27 degree timing mark instead of the TDC mark. I suspect the fan was replaced, as the 1.8L fans only had a zero for TDC.

If that is correct, then the distributor drive is not installed into the case correctly.

Zaffer
The fan is from the 1.7L engine as the 1.8L did not come with a fan or fan housing. I marked the fan according to the flywheel and it seemed to run pretty well at these marks using the distributor with the electronic ignition in it and the carbs from the 1.7L, and I can adjust that one in pretty much any position due to not having the vacuum diaphragm. I decided to go with the factory FI as the 1.8L never ran right with the carbs and I assume it still has the FI cam in it, plus whoever did the carb "conversion" did not do a good job and the carbs kept running rich, regardless of rebuild, adjustments, etc. Come to find out, the FI fuel pump was still installed, but I didn't know this until I received the FI system.

I looked at the engine pretty closely when I received it and I can't see anywhere that it has ever been opened, but then again we are talking about a 46 year old engine. There could be other things going on as well, just would rather use the stock distributor if possible as it's in good shape.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Zaffer @ Apr 16 2020, 01:30 PM) *

The fan is from the 1.7L engine as the 1.8L did not come with a fan or fan housing. I marked the fan according to the flywheel and it seemed to run pretty well at these marks using the distributor with the electronic ignition in it and the carbs from the 1.7L, and I can adjust that one in pretty much any position due to not having the vacuum diaphragm. I decided to go with the factory FI as the 1.8L never ran right with the carbs and I assume it still has the FI cam in it, plus whoever did the carb "conversion" did not do a good job and the carbs kept running rich, regardless of rebuild, adjustments, etc. Come to find out, the FI fuel pump was still installed, but I didn't know this until I received the FI system.

I looked at the engine pretty closely when I received it and I can't see anywhere that it has ever been opened, but then again we are talking about a 46 year old engine. There could be other things going on as well, just would rather use the stock distributor if possible as it's in good shape.

The case does not have to be split to put in the distributor drive gear. The Haynes manual has a great description on how it should be installed.

Zaffer
Good to know! I’ll check that out tomorrow.

This is exactly why I came back here! Working on this car is getting me antsy about getting back on my 914! I’ve been putting it off for the past 10 years and keep getting sidetracked with other vehicular projects of my own doing.
914sgofast2
QUOTE(Zaffer @ Apr 16 2020, 07:13 PM) *

Good to know! I’ll check that out tomorrow.

This is exactly why I came back here! Working on this car is getting me antsy about getting back on my 914! I’ve been putting it off for the past 10 years and keep getting sidetracked with other vehicular projects of my own doing.

I suggest getting one of those telescoping magnets (from Harbor Freight Tools!) in order to remove the distributor drive gear from the engine case and reorient it as per the Haynes shop manual.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.