Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hubs for my 3" 911 struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
I have a set of early 3" 911T front struts that I need to get hubs for.. is there any chance that a set from a 911S (991 version) would work ? I found a smoking deal on 'em..

narrow body car if that matters, cookie cutter or deep six replicas being considered. TIA.
Literati914
.. just realized the 991 is the 7th generation, so probably not. I have a hard time remembering which 911 model is which.
mepstein
I probably have early hubs if you are in the market. As you go later, the hubs get wider.
Mark Henry
From '68 to '83 if I read this right.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...7-vs-later.html
Literati914
..to add to my confusion I want vented rotors and will be using Brembo Aluminum Calipers from an Alfa (same spacing as 'M' cals from what I gather).
mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 16 2020, 03:19 PM) *

..to add to my confusion I want vented rotors and will be using Brembo Aluminum Calipers from an Alfa (same spacing as 'M' cals from what I gather).

Then you probably want later hubs.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...front-hubs.html
mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 16 2020, 03:19 PM) *

Then you probably want later hubs.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...front-hubs.html
Literati914
But didn't the original 914/6 use 32mm hubs and vented rotors?
Mark Henry
I have 911T struts which BTW are the actual 914/6 strut part number, 40mm hubs, 914/6 rotors and I'm using Alfa calipers.
All bolt on, no funky shims etc.

The wife's 914 has the same kit except it has M calipers and cookies.

IPB Image
bigkensteele
You want 40mm, but there are early and late on those as well. Early has a smaller center and takes a grease cap that goes over the center. Later is hub-centric and uses a grease cap that is pressed into the center. They both take the same bearings.
Mark Henry
wrong post
Literati914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 16 2020, 06:35 PM) *

I have 911T struts which BTW are the actual 914/6 strut part number, 40mm hubs, 914/6 rotors and I'm using Alfa calipers.

Hi Mark (great looking car!) - hey it sounds like our set ups will be the same [911T struts w/ Alfa Alum. Brembos] ..so according to your note I need to source some 40mm hubs, but before I do, I wanted to verify that your Brembos do indeed have the spacer between the two halves of the caliper?

Also, I don't suppose you'd know the p/n for the hubs you're using ?

I keep coming across hubs that are listed as "911/914-6", but they're 47mm and I'm not sure how Alfa Brembos differ from 914-6 calipers. Anyone have insight on this?

Mark Henry
If it's on the outside of the hub I can look for you, I have the '72 teen with cookies on the lift now and I'll have the '74 fuchs car on the lift no later than next week.

Anyone know where the part number is on the hub?

I'm sure the brembo calipers have the spacer, FYI I have vented rotors on all 4 corners on the '74, the rear calipers are PMB "V calipers", this is done with 911 108mm CV hubs and stubs and 911 rear rotors cut down (4mm) with Sway-a-Way axles.

I didn't do the 5 bolt install on the '72 cookies teen, but all the parts including the struts, bilstiens, hubs, rotors, M calipers came from PMB. This car has stock redrilled rear hubs and stock /4 rear brakes, also from PMB.
Literati914

I have 911T struts .., 40mm hubs, 914/6 rotors and I'm using Alfa calipers.

Mark - I searched but couldn't quickly find the answer.. are 914/6 (specific) front rotors vented ?

Had no idea the hubs to rotor thing was gonna be a puzzle.
mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 24 2020, 12:54 AM) *

Mark - I searched but couldn't quickly find the answer.. are 914/6 (specific) front rotors vented ?

Solid rotors front and back.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 24 2020, 09:14 AM) *

My bad, does the 914/6 have solid front rotors?

If so I must have 911 vented rotors and I'm 100% for sure you have to run vented rotors with the Alfa brembo's. I didn't research the parts much as I got the parts for my car from Mikes914 except for the brembos. I do know they are 911T struts but noted they were the 914/6 part number.
I have two other sets of Alfa Brembos they all have the spacer.

IPB Image
Literati914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 24 2020, 08:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 24 2020, 10:07 AM) *

My bad, does the 914/6 have solid front rotors?

If so I must have 911 vented rotors ..

..and the use of the vented rotors is what's got me thinking that the 47mm hubs are necessary (w/Brembos w/spacers)... I thought the spacers could be removed (during a rebuild) for use with non-vented rotors. Maybe it's why I keep seeing 47mm hubs described as 'for 911/914-6" - 'cause it's assumed that vented rotors would be the common choice?

I think you can see the p/n on the hubs, when the wheel is removed.. down in a recess where the bolts for the rotors are. Thanks for the help guys!
davep
All the info I have says the 914/6 had vented front rotors with 40mm hubs. Rear rotor were solid.
Brembo calipers that Mark has are similar to the 911S caliper except for the 3" mounts. The 911T & 911S calipers, 914/6 and Brembo all have 48mm pistons. But the 911S and Brembo have larger pads.
Literati914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 24 2020, 08:14 AM) *

. are 914/6 (specific) front rotors vented ?

QUOTE(davep @ Apr 25 2020, 10:25 PM) *

All the info I have says the 914/6 had vented front rotors with 40mm hubs. ..

Ok, well.. what about the 911's with M-calipers.. what were their front setups, anyone? (since the Brembo is supposed to have the same offset as well as having 3" mounts.
Mark Henry
Well I'm wrong again, the hubs on my cookies teen are 47mm.
I'm going to have to measure the front hubs on my '74 with the fuchs but eyeballing through the rim I think it's also 47mm.

Fills out the wheel well real nice on a narrow body with 205/60-15 (Fuchs) or 205/55-15 cookies) tires.
I imagine the 40's will work as well, just 7mm narrower on each side.
davep
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 25 2020, 10:04 PM) *
Ok, well.. what about the 911's with M-calipers.. what were their front setups, anyone? (since the Brembo is supposed to have the same offset as well as having 3" mounts.

Some 911T came with solid rotors, but I think most 911 came with vented rotors. The M calipers would have spacers between the halves to accommodate the vented rotors. I'm not certain about the hubs, but somehow I think that solid rotor had a different (thinner) hub.
mepstein
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 26 2020, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 25 2020, 10:04 PM) *

Some 911T came with solid rotors, but I think most 911 came with vented rotors. The M calipers would have spacers between the halves to accommodate the vented rotors. I'm not certain about the hubs, but somehow I think that solid rotor had a different (thinner) hub.

I probably messed up with thinking the fronts on the 914-6 were solid. I did put unvented M calipers and rotors on the front of my conversion car and everything worked fine with early (non hub centric) hubs.
Literati914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 26 2020, 06:19 AM) *

..I'm going to have to measure the front hubs on my '74 with the fuchs but eyeballing through the rim I think it's also 47mm.

Yes, please do check for me the next time you have wheels off, appreciated!

True, the 7mm is not a big deal for tire placement - BUT the thing is, only one hub (either 40mm or 47mm) is going to be the correct hubs for the Brembo cals/Vented rotors combo, specifically.

QUOTE(davep @ Apr 26 2020, 11:57 AM) *

..The M calipers would have spacers between the halves to accommodate the vented rotors. I'm not certain about the hubs, but somehow I think that solid rotor had a different (thinner) hub.

Yes, like the Brembo rotors, which is why it's important that I get the right hub. So I was wondering which hubs the M rotored cars used.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 26 2020, 12:00 PM) *

... I did put unvented M calipers and rotors on the front of my conversion car and everything worked fine with early (non hub centric) hubs.

So, you're saying that you removed the spacers from the M calipers and used solid rotors and 36mm hubs?
mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 26 2020, 11:07 PM) *

..I'm going to have to measure the front hubs on my '74 with the fuchs but eyeballing through the rim I think it's also 47mm.

Yes, please do check for me the next time you have wheels off, appreciated!

True, the 7mm is not a big deal for tire placement - BUT the thing is, only one hub (either 40mm or 47mm) is going to be the correct hubs for the Brembo cals/Vented rotors combo, specifically.

QUOTE(davep @ Apr 26 2020, 11:57 AM) *

..The M calipers would have spacers between the halves to accommodate the vented rotors. I'm not certain about the hubs, but somehow I think that solid rotor had a different (thinner) hub.

Yes, like the Brembo rotors, which is why it's important that I get the right hub. So I was wondering which hubs the M rotored cars used.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 26 2020, 12:00 PM) *

... I did put unvented M calipers and rotors on the front of my conversion car and everything worked fine with early (non hub centric) hubs.

So, you're saying that you removed the spacers from the M calipers and used solid rotors and 36mm hubs?

I purchased a set of unspaced M calipers. I think they were from a 912. I'll measure up the hub tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.