Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: porsche crate motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfp
just found a 914 for sale with a brand new 1.7 porsche crate motor. What can you tell me about this motor good and bad as oposed to the stock 1.7 VW and so on.
Part Pricer

First of all, I doubt that it is a brand new Porsche crate motor. Those have not been available for decades. However, if it is a NOS unit (unopened, unmolested, untouched) it could be worth a few bucks. When they were last availabe, they were selling for over $5k.

URY914
Is it a VW crate or a Porsche crate?

Long block (case, p/c, heads) only?
VegasRacer
Is that the same one nickg is selling in our classified ads?
john rogers
The shop I work with in San Diego has done a couple of conversions with the "remanufactured" crate engines from Porsche and they came complete with wire harness, brain, exhaust, etc and all it needed was a clutch assy and transmission. They were something like 5 or 6k if I remember correctly?
rfp
yes this is the one nic is selling.
what are the rliablility isues with these engines?
better than the VW engines found in stock 914?
davep
While I worked for a dealer I sold several crate engines. The 2.0 914 T4 motors came with heads and flywheel and sold for about $2500 CDN twenty years ago. Remanufacturing was done in Toronto, ON now since closed. If the crate was from Jake I wouldn't worry. Anyone else I would since I don't know any official remanufacturers anymore. That only leaves the usual suspects.
bernbomb914
I remember a couple of years ago at dunkels there were some crate motors stacked up. They are industrail motors 1.7 liter size and were expensive.

Bernie
rfp
Add says New porsche crate motor runs perfect.

Is this engine going to be of value or a liablility?

I'll be talking to the owner tonight and find out more. chatsmiley.gif

The car was garge kept up untill the last month or so.
Part Pricer

Well, if it is a NEW crate motor, ask to see the receipt from the purchase. That would answer a lot of the questions. If documentation cannot be produced, then move forward with the assumption that the engine is nothing special.

The engine unto itself is not a liability. If it runs strong with no issues, you've got a car with a running engine. Is the engine an added asset? Only if its documentation shows us something special.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (bernbomb914 @ Jul 7 2005, 12:09 PM)
I remember a couple of years ago at dunkels there were some crate motors stacked up. They are industrail motors 1.7 liter size and were expensive.

those sound like the last of the 356/912 Industrial motors.
there is a reason they are expensive - they are the latest / newest 356/912 engines made, and they had very cushy lives. plus they came with bigger engines from the factory.

if they were actually T-IV engines you saw, then nevermind...
rfp
Found out the engine was installed about 5-10 years ago brand new. the owner never paid the bill so the garage kept the car and sold it to an artis who kept it in his studio than sold it to the curent seller now it is going to me. smile.gif
car was never put back on the road after the new engine was put in. It starts right up and drives. owner May have paper work but not sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.