Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I Sell It? What's it worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dkalons
My dad bought this car new from Woods Motors in Detroit 1972. I learned how to drive in it. When he passed in 1979 it was left to me. I was in a minor accident in 1982 and it has not been driven since. It sits in my garage, half taken apart. I have some spare parts I've collected over the years. If I sell it the buyer would have to take everything. It has some rust, it's not perfect but still solid. The doors still close right. I think it's time to let go so that it can see the road again. What do you feel would be a fair price? I'm too emotionally attached to put an honest number on it.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(dkalons @ Apr 18 2020, 08:27 AM) *

My dad bought this car new from Woods Motors in Detroit 1972. I learned how to drive in it. When he passed in 1979 it was left to me. I was in a minor accident in 1982 and it has not been driven since. It sits in my garage, half taken apart. I have some spare parts I've collected over the years. If I sell it the buyer would have to take everything. It has some rust, it's not perfect but still solid. The doors still close right. I think it's time to let go so that it can see the road again. What do you feel would be a fair price? I'm too emotionally attached to put an honest number on it.

Can you provide some pictures ?
Cairo94507
welcome.png I think that car has a lot of sentimental value for you. If you really want to see it, sell it as is. Please take a lot of photos and post them here with your ad in the classified section. Take pictures of the entire exterior and then both trunks with the mats out and spare tire out of the front. Then shoot the engine bay and pay close attention to the area where the battery sits (passenger side of the engine bay) and try to get some light in there and shoot under the battery towards the firewall (front). Then shot the interior and pull the floor mats out and shoot the floors. See if you can get some light under the car and take a few photos showing the entire underside of the car. Finally, any paperwork you have (redact personal information) of the purchase and maintenance take pictures of that too. Tool Kit? take a picture of that as well. If you can take and post those along with a nice description your car will sell. Bit of work, but your family car will find a good home with a 914 lover. Cheers, beerchug.gif Michael
r_towle
1-2k

Because someone can buy a driver for under 5k.
So...that is an honest number to get someones interest.

The person would need to
rebuild motor (its out, its a mess, it needs all new seals...and why not, this the time)
fix the rust, two-three weekends of cutting and welding
new brakes
remove, clean, replace fuel system, hoses etc
redo the interior, it smells, and its old and cracked
bodywork could run from 1k-8k depending

so, the next owner will be into the car for 10-15k when done.

Sorry to be blunt, but its 1-2k unless it has a magic VIN number.

rich
r_towle
I just bought a really great looking barn find that has fantastic paint, exceptional interior, but it has not run since 98.

So, out. comes the motor, new seals, cleaning, paint etc
Fuel tank, fuel lines etc
All new brakes
Tires

That is without even starting the car.

Rich
Garland
I’m close by, sent you a personal message.
BENBRO02
It's so hard to put a number on a car without seeing it in person. Post many detailed pictures and people will be more likely to be interested. Pictures could get you 1-2k more.
swdld
interesting...
sreyemj
Probably 2-5k, depending on what it is and the condition.
Superhawk996
Put it back together & drive it. I'm local to Detroit Metro as are several others on this site as local resources to advise. Garland has a really nice car or two. Be sure to read his private message and see what he's up to or offering.

As previously stated a basket case of parts isn't worth much as-is other than parts salvage value. We would all love to see another 914 back on the road.
wes
I second “put it together and drive it” you just might fall in love all over again plus revive old memories. If you should decide to let her go might enhance the value and the car gets another chance at life. Just my two cents.
mepstein
38 years. I would take some pics, figure out a price and move it on to someone who will make it run. beerchug.gif
Mikey914
never worth as much in pieces. Figure out how much it will cost to pay someone to do the work. If the number is good, do it and you can at least get your 1-2k on top of it if it's done right.

Talk to Brad Mayer in Peoria IL He's honest and may even be able to find a buyer if you want (I'd drive it 1st).
Then at least you would have the work documented too.
@914LTD
Chris914n6
You are close to a few really good 914 body fixers. Pay to get the body straight & just throw some paint on the repair. Don't worry about the rust & stuff at this time.
Then piece it back together with the kids and drive it.

You only get to keep the memories alive once. The older I get and the more family I lose the more I appreciate the happy memory 'triggers'. One of those is Dad's bought new 73 Chevy C10... came home from the hospital in it... first car I got to drive... holds tons of family memories and some of those I want to repeat with my youngsters.
dkalons
While taking photos of my car as requested I made up my mind. I'm going to keep it. I want to thank you all for your input. It will make me a happier person to work on it and drive it again. I really did like this car. I had a 66 Mustang and a 67 Sunbeam that I sold years ago and regret it to this day. My darling wife may not be pleased but I feel better already.
BeatNavy
thumb3d.gif It was never going to bring you enough $ to overcome the emotional attachment.

Take your time, ask questions, and have fun with it.

Good luck.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(dkalons @ Apr 24 2020, 07:38 AM) *

While taking photos of my car as requested I made up my mind. I'm going to keep it. I want to thank you all for your input. It will make me a happier person to work on it and drive it again. I really did like this car. I had a 66 Mustang and a 67 Sunbeam that I sold years ago and regret it to this day. My darling wife may not be pleased but I feel better already.

cheer.gif

When the wife starts giving you grief, just go take inventory of the unused clothes and/or shoes in the closets. happy11.gif

We all have our vices. biggrin.gif
larryM

set your price - put on BaT as a project - w/ reserve - you'll find out soon enuf what it's worth
Porschef
QUOTE(dkalons @ Apr 24 2020, 07:38 AM) *

GiddyUp!!

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
Set up build thread. Post pics and progrees. aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.