Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another mystery wire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
advman89
(sorry if this is a duplicate--don't think the original posted & couldn't find by search)

This wire, on the passenger side of the motor goes to a what looks to be a grounding point on the motor...it was tied and laying loose...any ideas where this may go?

Click to view attachment

cary
Coming thru with throttle cable ?
davep
Not sure without knowing the color coding. Where does it go below?
ndfrigi
deleted
advman89
Comes off the motor, looks like a grounding wire (brown jacket with a green/black wire inside with a spade connector)

Mark Henry
Isn't that the taco plate temp sender wire?
cary
What Mark said. Green with linear black stripe.
Building a couple replacements right now. They get tore up.
davep
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 18 2020, 05:28 PM) *

Isn't that the taco plate temp sender wire?

That is what I thought also, but then I saw he had a 71. So I had second thoughts, and wanted more info. That is the problem with 50 year old cars.
cary
Your connector is underneath.
Looking at your picture. The battery terminal.
Below that a white band on the chassis harness.
Right ahead of that is a wire going thru a grommet.
That is the temp wire. I sometimes do the same thing with the temp wire. Getting it out of harms way when the engine is out.
JeffBowlsby
I didnt see from this thread the car was a 71. True? The engine is a later engine if it has that wire. What year of the chassis and year/size is the engine?
Bleyseng
QUOTE(advman89 @ Apr 18 2020, 05:42 PM) *

(sorry if this is a duplicate--don't think the original posted & couldn't find by search)

This wire, on the passenger side of the motor goes to a what looks to be a grounding point on the motor...it was tied and laying loose...any ideas where this may go?

Click to view attachment

My question is- Why are there two positive battery cables as I do see the braided negative cable too.
advman89
Ok. Some details

1971 with a 2.0L (1975--at least from the paperwork that came with).

The car was "running" but needed a TON of TLC...it was in a barn in 2013 during a tornado, so it has a sweet layer of mud and hay in the the engine bay...so as I get thing things cleaned, I find new things.

Just finished the tangerine fuel lines and fuel pump relocation. so, once I got the battery box off to get a clear look at everything, I found that wire sitting loose.

I can't thank everyone here enough for all the help on my little project.

advman89
Good question on the two positive cables...the second one isn't a positive, it's a negative...just a red wire put on there by the PO.

The grounding strap was screwed between the mount that holds the brain box and the battery tray.

...not the most bodgered thing I've discovered...
advman89
The wire is coming from the taco plate, but no idea where this thing goes...I've looked everywhere.

...and yes...50 year old cars with less than stellar owner upkeep...it's been a bit of a learning curve.

Thanks again everyone.
JeffBowlsby
A 1971 914 with its factory chassis harness, does not have a connection for that oil temp sender wire on the 1975 2.0L engine. The 1973-76 cars, have a wire near the battery tray coming out of the chassis harness with a single pole box connector to connect to that green/black wire from the sender, which routes to the center console gauge harness connections, one of which is the oil temp gauge.

You can run your own separate wire for this through the center tunnel to with a center console or even the dash if you have an oil temp gauge. or just remove the wire from under the engine and forget about the gauge.
advman89
PERFECT!

That's what I had figured out last night.

I don't have a center column installed--one that is very rough was included, but will be installing one eventually.

Thanks all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.