Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn signal question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pd2r914
I have a 73 914 and my turn signals do not shut off automatically once I complete a turn. Is this normal functionality for the 914 and if so, is there an upgrade available to change that? Or if that's not normal, any suggestions as to what might be wrong? I feel pretty dumb after I realize my signal has been on for an hour while cruising down the highway. Thanks!
lierofox
The auto cancel should work unless a couple things are broken.

There's a small tab under the steering wheel that comes off the turn signal switch assembly that interfaces with a tab that comes off the horn contact ring on the steering wheel. If the tabs are broken that'll prevent it from auto canceling.

What's more likely is the hooks on the spring ended up breaking off.

IPB Image

That's what ended up breaking on mine, here's a broken one next to one that's still good.

IPB Image

You can buy a new turn signal switch assembly and it'll include all of those components (Just get the right one for the '73 steering column)

I ended up machining new hooks out of aluminum to fix it when it broke on mine.

IPB Image

The only thing is they're a bit of an annoying profile to machine out since they fit into a slot and have to slide back and forth inside of it.
pd2r914
Thanks! That was it! I was able to take the one off my donor car and fix it. Working perfectly now. Thanks for the tip!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.