Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help - I just did a dumb thing on my rear trunk - locked out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
potomacmidget
Dear All,

ugh, I messed up and need some help. I rebuilt my rear trunk lock, cleaned the springs, tumblers, etc and reinstalled, then must have reinstalled the mechanism 180 degrees off, closed the trunk to "test" and then found the trunk locked and can't open (ugh...) really disappointed with myself, thought I was being careful...

any ideas how to get this open? man am I disappointed with myself...
TheCabinetmaker
Easiest way is to drill out the cylinder and replace it! I heard people removing the cups for the targa latches and using extensions and socket to remove the trunk latch. If you decided to drill it out, l can fix it for you.
Junebug
Is the trunk empty? Targa top out?
potomacmidget
QUOTE(potomacmidget @ Apr 19 2020, 11:36 AM) *

Dear All,

ugh, I messed up and need some help. I rebuilt my rear trunk lock, cleaned the springs, tumblers, etc and reinstalled, then must have reinstalled the mechanism 180 degrees off, closed the trunk to "test" and then found the trunk locked and can't open (ugh...) really disappointed with myself, thought I was being careful...

any ideas how to get this open? man am I disappointed with myself...

Thanks - probably the least damaging way forward, don't want to deal with the socket set extension route. trunk has stuff in it sadly so it may be in the way. targa on the car. drilling out here I come, ugh. thanks and appreciate the help. will need a new lock.
ndfrigi
next time try to test it first by just pushing it down to lock instead of closing the trunk lid.
TheCabinetmaker
Send it to me. I'll fix it for ya. No charge.
potomacmidget
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Apr 19 2020, 12:19 PM) *

next time try to test it first by just pushing it down to lock instead of closing the trunk lid.

Thanks - now I am hypersensitive.....will do next time...should have taken more pictures during disassembly...

thanks,

Reg
potomacmidget
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Apr 19 2020, 12:20 PM) *

Send it to me. I'll fix it for ya. No charge.

thanks - appreciate it but not sure what is left to send you, but would be happy to send business your way. will shoot you a PM.

thanks again everyone - the lockdown has me doing TOO much tinkering if that is possible..
TheCabinetmaker
Drill the lock all the way thru. You need to drill the screw that holds the tang onto the back of the lock. Then use a Phillips screw driver to push and release the keeper to open trunk lid.
potomacmidget
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Apr 19 2020, 12:28 PM) *

Drill the lock all the way thru. You need to drill the screw that holds the tang onto the back of the lock. Then use a Phillips screw driver to push and release the keeper to open trunk lid.

thanks, Done ! Trunk open!
Junebug
QUOTE(Junebug @ Apr 19 2020, 07:57 AM) *

Is the trunk empty? Targa top out?

Sorry didn't see you have a '71.

1. Remove the 10mm nut between the license plate lights (rear) holding down the bumper rubber top.
2. Remove the left lisence plate light housing and unplug.
3. use a 8" narrow shaft screwdriver #1-#2 phillips works best, to enter the wiring hole and insert it aiming the point towards the base of the push button lock closest to the pavement.

Oh I see you drilled. Well now that it is open you can see how the screwdriver can push the arm and unlock.. Less destructive but glad you got it open.

on a 75-76 open the engine lid and get a 4' metal rod clamp a paint can opener to one end (the kind made from wire that also works as a beer opener on the looped end and the side you want to use, guide it to the lock and insert the looped end through the smile shaped opening below lock housing enough to then rotate your tool 90* moving the lock arm retaining the lid pin.

anyway worked for me. Cheers
IronHillRestorations
I had to open a locked trunk years ago, it had a rear reflector kit and the solenoid stuck. I pushed in one of the cups and used a 1 iron to activate the mechanism. Another owner told me he brazed two 3' 1/8" gas welding rod together and was able to work the latch. A USB camera could be very helpful

I've heard of guys un bolting the hinges, but that sounds dangerous.
potomacmidget
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Apr 19 2020, 01:28 PM) *

I had to open a locked trunk years ago, it had a rear reflector kit and the solenoid stuck. I pushed in one of the cups and used a 1 iron to activate the mechanism. Another owner told me he brazed two 3' 1/8" gas welding rod together and was able to work the latch. A USB camera could be very helpful

I've heard of guys un bolting the hinges, but that sounds dangerous.

Ironhillrestorations and everyone else, thanks for all the assistance, really appreciate it.

Best

Reg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.