Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blowing Fuses at #8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BPic
I'm blowing fuse #8 on a Late - 72. Turn key and POP. Remove relay (914rubber new relays) and all is good until I put the relay in then POP.
Checked Wiper wiring and is correct. Disconnected the blower, cigar lighter, and horn still get the same. Which means if I'm reading the diagram correctly it should be in the wiper circuit? Could it be the motor itself? Last thing I want to do is remove everything to get the wiper out. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Click to view attachment
Krieger
Idk what #8 is, but I too am having trouble with 914 rubber relays. I put his new relays in at the headlight motors and I keep blowing the fuse when I switch my headlights on. I fiddled with the prongs on the relay to make better contact. I was running out of fuses so I switched back to the original relays since I was running out of fuses. The old relays worked well. Headlights go up and down. The fuse does not burn out. Try an old relay
76-914
Disconnect the WW and any other item on that circuit. Then add them back in one at a time until you pop a fuse. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 19 2020, 10:20 AM) *

Idk what #8 is, but I too am having trouble with 914 rubber relays. I put his new relays in at the headlight motors and I keep blowing the fuse when I switch my headlights on. I fiddled with the prongs on the relay to make better contact. I was running out of fuses so I switched back to the original relays since I was running out of fuses. The old relays worked well. Headlights go up and down. The fuse does not burn out. Try an old relay

Oops. I read your post after posting. That relay is easy enough to diagnose w/ VOM. LUK where it's grounded. beerchug.gif
BPic
Thanks guys. So I disconnected everything and the first thing I plugged in was the wiper switch and...POW. Is it safe to say the wiper switch is the culprit? confused24.gif
BPic
@jeffbowlsby - any thoughts?
FlacaProductions
pull the wheel and pull the switches and make sure something isn't grounding itself to the steering column shell....
BPic
I pulled the steering column switches and have not gone through them yet. Any have a diagram of the actual switch wiring? No pinched wires but I did replace it and maybe got the wires in the wrong spot.
Mueller
I was just having problems myself with the number 8 fuse.

I found this which was be helpful:

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Elect_73FuseIndex.pdf

For my case the blower fan was gunked up and the wiper motor was stuck.
Removing the power going to those fixed my problem.

Mueller
QUOTE(BPic @ Apr 19 2020, 02:59 PM) *

I pulled the steering column switches and have not gone through them yet. Any have a diagram of the actual switch wiring? No pinched wires but I did replace it and maybe got the wires in the wrong spot.

See the site I posted above.

Steering wheel and ignition diagrams there as well, very helpful.

By the way, I got the part and installed it already..thanks
BPic
That link should prove to be very valuable! Thanks @mueller !

Glad to hear the part showed up and is installed. beerchug.gif

Thanks again, Brad

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 19 2020, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(BPic @ Apr 19 2020, 02:59 PM) *

See the site I posted above.

Steering wheel and ignition diagrams there as well, very helpful.

By the way, I got the part and installed it already..thanks

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.