Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carpet under fuel tank?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kroelofsen
Yesterday I took the fuel tank out (some rust inside evilgrin.gif ). But underneath I found 3 patches of carpet, see pictures... I can't believe this is from factory...? sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
I believe that's normal? I had some on mine. Those are wear points where the tank can rub on the frame and rust through (mine rusted through on the right lower area in your photo. Leaked every tiem I filled the car all the way up until I figured it out).
Krieger
At least it's not shag! Most people now use felt furniture sliders. Those three locations are correct.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Original pads on a 1970/4 …….
Mikey914
Not stock on the carpet. Looks like samples we sent out
914werke
Its stock.
roblav1
They were felt on my 73 2.0. Clearly had never been off before.
Jamie
My 73 originals were felt pads as well.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 19 2020, 01:05 PM) *

I believe that's normal? I had some on mine. Those are wear points where the tank can rub on the frame and rust through (mine rusted through on the right lower area in your photo. Leaked every tiem I filled the car all the way up until I figured it out).

The carpet under the fuel tank isn't a wear point. The carpet retains water, causing the tank to rust until there are little tiny pinholes in it. Then you end up chasing your tail trying to find where the fuel smell is coming from.

Been there, done that. Still have the tank with the rusty spot. I would suggest replacing the carpet with some neoprene wet suit material or similar that won't retain water.

ejm
Early cars had felt pads, later cars used carpet. I think they switched sometime in 1974. In George's Tech Tips book he mentions carpet in tip 149.
kroelofsen
Many thanks for all the answers... So it is a stock thing...

The tank hasn't rusted were it contacts the pads biggrin.gif

I will rethink if using them again...
76-914
Clay's right. They retain moisture and you know what that will eventually lead to. beerchug.gif
914_7T3
Here is a thread with some suggested alternatives from a few years back.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...332180&st=0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.