Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When is a car no longre street legal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bob Wolcott
Having seen a few race cars lately, most notably the one featured in Excellence (Sept), I am curious when the 'street legal' line is crossed. What is the most significant modification that would make a car no longer street legal?

Thanks,
Bob
aircooledboy
It will vary from state to state somewhat, but generaly speaking a car is not streetable when it no longer has all the equipment required for a a "motor vehicle intended to be operated on a roadway". So, that would be things like headlights, tail lights, turn signals, glass windshield, 5 mph bumpers at the required height etc. etc. . . . .
beerchug.gif
jasons
That totally depends on local laws. No clear answer there. In AZ if you remove the FI on a 75 and later car, its illegal.
tat2dphreak
depends on the state...

TX requires:
emergency brake
3 pt. belts(unless not orginally equipped)
all signal lights conform to standards and are fully functional
headlights operational
etc...

some things are allowed but have to be DOT approved... like SS flexible brake lines, quick-release steering wheel hubs, aftermarket seat belts, etc... you have to make sure you have a DOT approved version of these types of things

your state website should have a document listing everything in detail... I looked up TX's info last year...
aircooledboy
True. I forgot about emissions control nonsense. Adds a whole 'nother layer of issues if you are in an area that does emissions testing. (Don't have to do that here if you are outside of the metroplolitan Chicago area)
bd1308
all that is required in KY to be able to drive a car is four wheels, a steering window, four clear garbage bags as windows to see out of (have to be clear), and at least one briggs and stratton lawnmower motor without any billowing-smoke causing oil leaks.
tat2dphreak
there's also a little caveat in all of the states (I'm sure) that says something about "car cannot be a hazard to others on the road" to keep some crazy bastard from putting a giant SPIKE on their hood that would puncture another car... that would also keep someone from covering the car in mirrors but I think it serves as a "catch-all" to basically say "anything we don't like"
Joe Bob
Lights, horn, turn signals.....
Dave_Darling
...A suspension that is so stiff that potholes rearrange your internal organs... That usually makes for "no longer a street car"...

(I.e., sometimes it's completely voluntary. The owner knows s/he won't be driving on the street any more and doesn't feel like paying insurance and registration any more.)

--DD
bondo
In CA, all you have to do is hang something from the rearview mirror to cross the line. Stuff like that is rarely enforced. (half the cars around here have some sort of parking permit there.. you're "supposed" to take it down when you drive.. and remember to put it back up when you park.. yeah right) I remember back in Sacramento the police were stopping cruisers by ticketing rear view mirror violations. Those unenforced laws (like no front plate) allow police to pull people over for whatever reason they want, and they can just say it's for that. (Can you tell I've been pulled over for no front plate?) smile.gif
ninefourteener
Buying a car with a friggin gigantic cam in it........ so the damn thing won't pass emissions under any circumstances.

Can you tell I'm still irritated over this crap?

Still waiting on the EPA to send me something stating my car is a "show car"..... ot the real reason I applied..... "emissions exempt"
Dead Air
One of my customers was a cop and he often spoke of his "fuch book". he could harrass people for:
loose sheet metal or bumpers
cracked lenses or glass
ANY stickers on the windows
fluffy toys on the back dash
any loose items on the drivers side floor
hoods tied down
tire tread depth at the EDGE of the tire
on and on...
He basically said EVERY car on the road he could find something to write a ticket for.
anthony
In CA it's a free for all because none of these rules (except smog for >'76 cars) are enforced. I did get a missing front plate ticket at the time I got a speeding ticket. The fine was $15 so I just paid it because it was more of a PITA to go down to DMV and have them sign off on the ticket.

messix
this one is "street legal" but is very hard to drive at street speeds and in traffic. but it meets all street legal requirements.

street legal and streetable are very gray.
messix
oh i forgot... this car makes about 2,200 hp form 600ci big block on nitrous
Rand
Are these street legal? biggrin.gif

user posted image

user posted image

spare time toys
Ah the big trick for me will be going back to street legal. cool_shades.gif
Joe Ricard
WTF is a steering window?

Mississippi has a once a year vehicle check. head lights tail lights, brake lights, turn signal, horn and back up lights.
No smog and the crack in the windshield should not interfere with drivers vision.
J P Stein
I think the more important question is which one is most difficlut to reverse. I gave this a lot of thought while argueing with my self over this. Yack.gif

IMO, it's the headlight buckets......not that they couldn't be rewelded in place but it would be a major PITA. Once I reached that point, it was easy to cut out all the wiring front & rear....in for a penny. Had I "done" the windshield, it would be #1....it's time may come. That looks heavy. laugh.gif
airsix
QUOTE (Rand @ Jul 7 2005, 12:34 PM)
Are these street legal? biggrin.gif
user posted image

I'd like to see that rear wing stand up to a 6mph cross-wind. laugh.gif
-Ben M.
airsix
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jul 7 2005, 12:43 PM)
WTF is a steering window?

It's the thing that's missing from the "Spirit of St. Lewis"

-Ben M.
redshift
laugh.gif
xsboost90
yeah front plates BAH! ohio requires front plates, the dmv tried to get the front plates discontinued and the state hiway patrol decided they wanted them, so we still have em. I say f'em, i run a euro plate on the front. I havent run a front plate on a porsche ive owned.

Brit is right though, ive seen some pretty hacked up stuff in ky, not sure how its street legal.
machina
I keep my car registered so I can get collector car insurance and so I can test drive the car after working on the brakes, etc.

I don't have a horn, wipers, or turn signals but usually its just a drive around the block or over the bridge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.