Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Today was a very bad day......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BPic
Torqueing the passenger front strut nut, the socket got stuck on the nut. I gave it a tug and with sweaty hands lost control of the wrench. I tried to catch it which actually, probably, made it worse as I didn't connect and the wrench started spinning. I thought I was going to puke. icon8.gif brand new paint....

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
QUOTE(BPic @ Apr 19 2020, 02:57 PM) *

Torqueing the passenger front strut nut, the socket got stuck on the nut. I gave it a tug and with sweaty hands lost control of the wrench. I tried to catch it which actually, probably, made it worse as I didn't connect and the wrench started spinning. I thought I was going to puke. icon8.gif brand new paint....

Click to view attachment

Oh, man, that sucks. BTDT. Does the shop that did the paint have any leftover paint they could use to reshoot that fender?
BPic
It does suck and yes I have paint. I have tiptoed around the car while building it for the last 9 months. I’m getting close to getting it on the road and now this? He can fix it. Already sent pics to him. Thanks

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Apr 19 2020, 06:10 PM) *

QUOTE(BPic @ Apr 19 2020, 02:57 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Oh, man, that sucks. BTDT. Does the shop that did the paint have any leftover paint they could use to reshoot that fender?

IronHillRestorations
Ouch! sad.gif
porschetub
Nasty deep dent,I feel your pain had an alloy ladder near my car and a freak storm during the night blew the ladder over and I got a dent in a similar place to yours ,paintless dent guy could get it out unlike the damage you have,feel sorry for you.
wysri9
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 19 2020, 03:30 PM) *

Nasty deep dent,I feel your pain had an alloy ladder near my car and a freak storm during the night blew the ladder over and I got a dent in a similar place to yours ,paintless dent guy could get it out unlike the damage you have,feel sorry for you.

I am creeping carefully around my newly painted tub - I can imagine exactly how you feel after several near misses. I am going to creep even more carefully.......thanks for sharing such a tough moment - I am sure several of us will benefit beerchug.gif
bbrock
Oh no! So sorry. This is one of my worst nightmares. My garage is a disaster waiting to happen and even though I have most of the car wrapped in carpet protection vinyl, I still worry every time I'm out there working.
Cairo94507
Anyone who has ever had fresh paint knows the care and caution I am sure you employed while working on your car. These things happen and the best news is you have the paint and with a little work that will be a distant memory and your fender will once again be perfect. beerchug.gif
Tdskip
Awwww, bummer. That can be addressed however.
Andyrew
I generally purposefully put an imperfection in a car I paint so I don't have the tip toe mentality... But not this big...

It is an easy fix, the painter will hammer the dent back sand it out about 6" prime and blend the paint about 12" out and then reclear the whole pannel. I've done this in a shop class before in about 2 hours total..
PanelBilly
Put a band aid over it for now. Then you don't need to look at it. Sucks. I have a few dings in mine too. Hate to look at them
aharder
I felt the same pain, did this 1 week after I got it painted.

Click to view attachment
jagalyn
That's a bummer. Don't beat yourself up over it... just get it fixed.
Superhawk996
I've done dumber things in my younger years. Not that I'm immune now either. dry.gif

When I had just finished repainting my 1st 914 and got it put togeher I was so anxious to go drive that I went out without checking my lug nuts that I had only lightly torqued about 3 weeks earlier.

Needless to say, I got to repaint a front quater panel and I was lucky to have gotten away with only with that and a ball joint replacment. Ball joint was ground down substantially as it dragged along the pavement. wacko.gif

Condolences though. The heart ache is real for those of us that have felt that same pit of the gut feeling you felt!
cali914
Bummer I know how you feel. I got a fresh paint job a while, back drove it home from the paint shop I think overly excited and scraped the rear fender flare against the fire place. I was ready to give up when i stepped outside to look at it.
framos914
I picked up what I thought was a clean rag not realizing a sliver of metal was stuck on it. Wiped the car back and forth before realizing I was putting deep scratches on it.
Self inflicted wounds are sometimes the worst!
MidshipMadness
Years ago I threw a frisbee out the driver's window of my '71 while sitting in the garage and it left my hand in the most awkward way resulting in it connecting with the top of the front left fender. I heard a substantial knock and I got out to see what I had done. Sure enough a very noticeable ding....and get this...one week after getting out of the paint booth from a ground up restoration.

Damn, I was furious with myself. I created cuss words I never knew existed...lol
ric birks
Been there done that! On the up side, its a perfect place for one of my Pegasus decals. Black would be my recommendation. They come in pairs, one for each side.
mepstein
It could always be worse.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.