Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 missing rear dog bones
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SA-914
Took my rear bumper off to cut some trunk rust out and noticed there are no bone spacers in the rear bumper. The rear left had been hit before and the bumper is not original as the inside has ‘73 914 written from a junk yard.

I did not notice gap problems before. Are bones necessary and how did I not notice?
IronHillRestorations
Yes, they keep the bumper properly spaced from the body, and to a certain extent, keep it from chipping the paint where it would otherwise make contact
914Sixer
Not a deal breaker. Probably left off because they are a pain if you do not tape them to the mounting brace. You have that tucked in bumper look.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 19 2020, 06:05 PM) *

Probably left off because they are a pain if you do not tape them to the mounting brace.

You don't have to tape them in. Just get some M8x125 all thread and cut 4 six inch pieces off. Locktite them into the bumper, and slip the dog bones over them. It makes installing the bumper infinitely easier. You don't have to worry if the dog bone slipped, and it helps hold the bumper up on one side while you put the fender washers and nuts on the other side.

kroelofsen
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 20 2020, 01:17 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 19 2020, 06:05 PM) *

Probably left off because they are a pain if you do not tape them to the mounting brace.

You don't have to tape them in. Just get some M8x125 all thread and cut 4 six inch pieces off. Locktite them into the bumper, and slip the dog bones over them. It makes installing the bumper infinitely easier. You don't have to worry if the dog bone slipped, and it helps hold the bumper up on one side while you put the fender washers and nuts on the other side.

piratenanner.gif That is exactly what I did... I ordered some M8 stainless scews, washers and nuts...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.