Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: metal bits in tranny oil, what is it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nickm1
I drained the oil out of my transmission and there was quite a bit of metal on the magnet but no pieces just like a goo. but I noticed in the bottom of the oil drip pan there was little shiny bits looking like gold flakes. Is this normal or is something going out on me.
bd1308
search it, somebody posted about this like a week ago.

with that being said, i never search anything. some people jump on me about it.
JerryP
I asked the same question about a month ago. I was told that there would usually be something on the magnet especially if its been a while since the tranny fluid has been changed. I had the same "flakes" you speak of and have not had any problems with my tranny. Hopefully we will both stay lucky.
jr91472
There are several components in the tranny that are brass. One worth noting is the worm drive that sticks out of the pinion shaft and drives the speedo gear located in the tail housing of the tranny.

look at this thread

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=17574&hl=

I had a major failure that resulted in the distruction of this brass worm drive. There is even a pic of my drain pan with LOTS OF BRASS FLAKES.

Not trying to scare you, my disaster resulted in the expansion bolt not being torque to the proper spec by the PO.

but you did ask biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
JerryP
I should edit.....my flakes were not gold and were pretty much restricted to the magnet. My drip pan did not look like jr91472's. If yours does, please disregard my previous post. I wouldn't want to get you stranded or worse. Brass doesn't stick to the magnet.....does it?
Engman
Synchros wear and produce the 'gunk'. I would worry only if there were metal bits and not so much the 'gunk'.

M
Mark Henry
Gunk good

Chunks bad

driving.gif

john rogers
The metalic "goop" is wear from the steel parts such as gears, sliders and all the other steel parts that are rubbing when you shift. The gold looking can be from the races on the bearings as they wear and the meterial stays suspended since the magnet can't grab it. It is pretty normal, but make sure there are no pieces of the bearing race laying in the bottom of the case.
Nickm1
the gold flakes looks just like the pic in the other thread but no where near that amount. on the magnet it was all goop and 1 tiny piece of metal looked like a shaving from a drill bit, very tiny though.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.